The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 17, 2015, 06:51 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

what CAN be done pt II

Which started out looking like this one...

I have no idea the cost that went into the sporter, but I got it at a gun show a few years back, for $350 WITH the scope!
Old December 17, 2015, 10:15 AM   #27
skizzums

mounting a scope on the Mosin is not difficult or expensive, so long as you have the right equipment and are careful. It does come with an extra PITA with needing a curved bolt to clear the rail though.
ATI mounting kit ha everything you need, and it you don't feel like cutting the bolt knob you can just order a precurved bolt.
this guy does it with hand tools, looks like it turned out okay. fast-forward to 2:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jugvguwyc_8
40$ on amazon, I am pretty sure it used to be cheaper
http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Mosin-Naga.../dp/B000O7D2XG

Old December 17, 2015, 10:32 AM   #28
jimbob86

skizzums, while I am sure it can be done, should it?

The scope mount in the pic .....looks anything but rugged: two screws at one end of the rail, which will essentially be acting as a lever with the screws at the short end ..... I can't see that standing up to even average, normal field use ..... the Mosin was designed to be, above all, rugged. The pictured Mosin is ..... just wrong .......
Old December 17, 2015, 10:41 AM   #29
Jim Watson

If you have the tools and the skills - or a lot of money to pay a GOOD gunsmith - you can make a really nice sporting rifle out of a military Mauser.

You can set up a pretty good rifle, even a target rifle, with a lot less work on a Savage action, or maybe a Remington.

Paying an ordinary gunsmith to do an ordinary job will cost more and deliver less than a new commercial rifle.
Old December 17, 2015, 11:05 AM   #30
joe sixgun

I definitely understand the cost vs. reward aspect of a project like this. I have looked at and physically held all of the current crop of budget rifles. I just can't get on board with plastic stocks and sloppy bolts. I do realize they are accurate and of sound quality, but just don't feel right to me.
Very nice photos guys these are what type of project I am interested in. Never seen a Arisaka locally. I should hit the next gun show.
Old December 17, 2015, 11:22 AM   #31
skizzums

I dunno if it should be done jimbob, but mine actually has four screws now if it makes you feel better. I haven't dropped it or anything, but has held up fine, but I also welded the screws in there.
Old December 17, 2015, 04:55 PM   #32
emcon5

Quote:
I have looked at and physically held all of the current crop of budget rifles. I just can't get on board with plastic stocks and sloppy bolts. I do realize they are accurate and of sound quality, but just don't feel right to me.
The Mauser 98 is probably the best choice, but the first thing you will need to do is mill the hump off the receiver and drill and tap it for a scope mount. That alone, unless you find one as a donor that already has this done, will put the cost of the project over using a Remington or Savage low end as a donor rifle.

In other words, if you go to Wal Mart and buy a 700 ADL, then throw away the stock and sell the take-off barrel, you will probably be in about the same place financially as if you bought a bubba K98 then had a gunplumber set it up for glass.
Old December 17, 2015, 06:18 PM   #33
Unlicensed Dremel

Well I vote to ban him - kidding! But yeah, please don't jack with anything but a Mosin -- or something already jacked with - not just for the sake of others, but for your own sake - you'll regret it later.
Old December 17, 2015, 06:49 PM   #34
Hawg

Quote:
please don't jack with anything but a Mosin
A Mosin ain't worth jackin with. I have a 1903 A3, 98 F.N. Mauser, No.1 MK III Enfield, A Spanish Mauser and a Gew 33/40 that have all been jacked with to some degree. Two are nice, one is ok, one is a Bubba and one will be the nicest of them all if I ever finish it. If you build one don't skimp on the barrel. My two good ones will out shoot anything you can buy out of a rack.
Old December 18, 2015, 10:37 AM   #35
Huffmanite

Gent I've shot with at range for a number of years now, acquired a nice metal lathe for gunsmithing early this year and is doing well learning how to use it. Gunsmithing may be his retirement vocation in a few years. While the 98 mauser actions are certainly OK, he seems to be acquiring Springfield, P14 and M1917 actions to build on. The P14 and M1917, he prefers for big bore rifles.
Old December 18, 2015, 01:53 PM   #36
T. O'Heir

"...anything I don't dare tackle myself..." Don't think like that unless your circumstances don't allow you to have a place to work. Buying the tools is usually the most expensive part. Lot of 'em you can rent for not a huge pile these days.
Probable best to start with a K98. Lots of parts etc. available. Or something you can easily get ammo/brass for. A Krag is neither.
"...please don't jack with anything but a Mosin..." That used to be said about '03A3's and Lee-Enfields.
Old December 18, 2015, 05:41 PM   #37
joe sixgun

I have an Enfield I may be willing to customize. What sort of accuracy could I expect from the factory barrel. It looks like the rifling is in good shape. It's a no. 4 Mk1
Old December 19, 2015, 11:25 AM   #38
tobnpr

Quote:
Right now the Mosin-Nagants are popular project guns because they are cheap, but they don't make very good sporters, even with a lot of work. Scope mounting is not easy and doesn't work out very well, trigger pulls are not very good, the bolt handle is short and cocking stiff, the magazine does not sit flush, the safety is nearly unusable, etc. Of course, those things can be overcome (Reid Coffield's articles in Shotgun News prove that) but if the work has to be done by a professional the cost can be many times what the gun cost and way beyond any possible future value.
Not true on the scope mounting. The Rock Solid mount works just fine, gets the scope as low to the receiver as is possible, and it is- "rock solid". A big chunk of machined aluminum that's not going anywhere. Most all the time on round receivers they need to be indicated and epoxy bedded to get them level due to the tops of these having been machined if re-arsenaled and they won't sit true.

A Timney trigger (which you'd put one, or some aftermarket trigger on most any rifle) solves the trigger and safety issue in one easy step.

I don't see a problem with a mag that doesn't sit flush. For those that do, they modify/cut/re-weld the mag so that it does (obviously reducing round capacity). For me, that's nothing but an aesthetic issue.

Most all of my customers dropping coin on these do so just because they want something different than a production rifle. And done correctly, it not "still a Mosin-Nagant".Granted- the receivers aren't custom 700 quality by a longshot,and the bolt throw is clunky. But when everything else is done correctly, and the receiver is the only thing remaining that's not been replaced, they will shoot bugholes with a quality re-barrel fitted/bedded correctly in a stock.

But the real question for the OP is what does he consider "sporterizing"?
Could be changing out a triggger- a full-blown custom build- or anything in-between.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old December 19, 2015, 02:53 PM   #39
joe sixgun

Well what I would consider sporterizing could be similar to the posted pics on this thread. Definitely a modern stock, a scope, maybe even a rebarrel to a different caliber. I really am not so worried about caliber though. If I go with an American gun, I'm ok with 30-06. 7.62x54r is still cheap, and if I go Enfield .303 can be hand loaded. So I guess I am looking for a reasonably low cost project.
Old December 19, 2015, 03:59 PM   #40
UnkBK

Here is my bubba'd RA 03A3. Got it free as a barreled action, already drilled and tapped crookedly and cut behind the front sight.
I have done some polishing, recrowned it and did the parkerizing myself. Everything got parked. Bolt is now done.
Trigger guard is a milled one I narrowed, polished and parked.
It sits in a Ramline stock that I am still undecided about.
It's been a fun project for very little cost.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450558724.219959.jpg
Old December 19, 2015, 04:26 PM   #41
Cheapshooter

Mausers of course are top of the list. Springfields, or US Enfields also make great sporters. I have also seen some really nice looking British SMLE sporters. To me, spending a lot to make a Mosin Nagant into a really great looking sporter is like making a fancy sows ear out of a cheap purse! Not that they are bad for what they are. They are a great example of Russian arms manufacturing, and great rangeshooters. I have several variants, and enjoy them just as they were issued. I would never waste my money trying to make a sporter out of one.
As far as being banned, or ridiculed about building a sporter, resurrecting an old classic military arm that has had it's collector value ruined by a bad bubba job into a fine sporter is an honorable endeavor.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 19, 2015, 06:25 PM   #42
HankC1

Quote:
on the lookout for a good deal on a rifle
The best deal would be buying a commercial rifle, I doubt you can still find a good deal on a mil surp and convert. It is fun to build your own but not cheap anymore.
Old December 19, 2015, 07:31 PM   #43
Hawg

Quote:
So I guess I am looking for a reasonably low cost project.
Then forget sporterizing one. Just having the scope mounted will cost at least 10 bucks per hole and then having the bolt handle replaced so it will work with a scope and then having the safety replaced so it will work with a scope. etc etc etc.
Old December 19, 2015, 09:11 PM   #44
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would define sporterizing as turning a military rifle into the equivalent of a contemporary sporting rifle. Anything less is just a hacksaw job.

Sporterizing (my definition) makes sense if 1) the rifle is free*, 2) the owner can do a lot of the work himself, and 3) the cost can be spread out by taking on one aspect at a time.

*No cost except months of slogging through mud, rain and snow, being shot or shot at, wearing the same clothes for weeks, sleeping in a foot of water in foxholes, etc.

Jim
Old December 19, 2015, 10:07 PM   #45
joe sixgun

I'm on board with that Jim K. I'm in no hurry, I have several good rifles for hunting so time in not a concern and cost can be spread out as needed. Now where to find that free gun?????LOL.
Old December 19, 2015, 10:11 PM   #46
4V50 Gary
Staff

Another vote for the Mauser 98. We were required to sporterize one over the course of three semesters. First semester we turned, chambered, headspaced and crowned a barrel. Second semester we bent the bolt (or cut it off and welded a new one on), modified the shroud to take the Chapman swing type safety, made a new floorplate release button, sporterized the trigger guard (made a plug for the anti-walk screw holes, milled the sides of the guard itself to trim it down), removed any dents on the receiver (except serial # and make) and trigger guard and polished everything and in the third semester, made a wood stock for it.

Skizzums - how is the rear portion of that scope mount secured on the Moisin?
Old December 19, 2015, 10:18 PM   #47
Gunplummer

I can never really understand why people that have access to milling equipment will fight with some hokey scope base when they can just make one to fit what they need. If you are worried about crappy machining on the receiver, screw blanks on and machine the bases ON THE RECEIVER. That "Cantilever" base pictured should have had a "Dog leg" on the rear left side to sturdy it up. Whatever. It is not a major investment if it does not work out for you.
Old December 19, 2015, 10:41 PM   #48
4V50 Gary
Staff

I would have made a side mounted scope base.
Old December 19, 2015, 11:19 PM   #49
Gunplummer

Yes, something a little sturdier.
Old December 21, 2015, 01:24 AM   #50
tahunua001

probably a Mauser K98 type rifle, the german models are all but gone from sporterizing but the turkish rifles are plentiful everywhere I look. enfields aren't the prettiest and require a LOT of special fitting. mosin nagants rarely turn out very accurate unless it's one of the Finnish rifles and you'd probably be hunted down and beaten with a rake if you chopped up one of those. surprisingly, the most gorgeous sporter I've ever seen was an Arisaka, but that would take a lot of work on your part.