The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2002, 02:48 AM   #1
makarov

Wingmaster Police Model?

Blued 18" barrel - extended mag. Plain walnut stocks. "coontail" forend. Marked Wingmaster on the receiver. Do the older police models say "Police" on them anywhere? This one only takes the 2.75" shells BTW. It is in good shape , they are asking $259

Opinions?
Old March 26, 2002, 05:43 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most, maybe all older 870s say WM on the receiver. Possible exception, the lower cost "Sportsman" that precursed the Express, and was available for a few years.

Depending on vintage, there may be a "Police Cylinder" marking for choke on the bbl. This was a few thousandths tighter than pure cylinder, like skeet choke. Otherwise, look for either Cylinder or IC marks.

Unless this is in pristine condition, $259 in a bit high for a turnin.I'd want to drop the trigger group and look for grunge and rust there and in the receiver before laying money on the counter. If it is clean and tight, maybe $259 is not a ripoff.

HTH...
Old March 26, 2002, 10:57 AM   #3
makarov

It is pretty clean. I was wondering if someone had modifed a Wingmaster by adding stocks and mag extension or if this was a pre-magnum Police model. It doesn't say police on it anywhere. Did they ever sell these to the civilian market? It only has one small blemish on the top of the barrel. Bead sight barrel no rifle sight.

I have already purchased an 18.5" barrel from another TFL'r, but this gun has the mag extension too (not a huge deal for me). I could always sell the barrel. Downside is that I would not have the long barrel - my original plan was to modify a Wingmaster myself.

I kind of like the Police walnut stocks. They are clean and functional. Nice straight grained wood.

Thanks for the price check on the Police model. I'm going in today to make them a deal. I'll post pictures of whatever I bring back...
Old March 26, 2002, 08:30 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My "Deer" 870 started its working life in a cruiser in Arlington,Va, ca 1980. It says WIngmaster and not Police.

One of the ways we can tell if a used 870 was ever fitted with a factory folder is a "Blemish" on top of the bbl. Bluing wear is the tipoff.

Many 870s out there have mix and matched parts, including some,Heck most, of mine. Don't let it worry ya.

Keep that other bbl, 870s are like potato chips, one's hardly ever enough...
Old March 27, 2002, 02:55 PM   #5
jimmy

FWIW, I have two 870 Police shotguns made during the early or mid-1980s. The boxes are marked to indicate police models but IIRC the guns are not. Both guns are marked Wingmaster on the receiver. Both have a plain wooden shoulder stock and a grooved forend. One is 2 3/4-inch only with a 20-inch barrel, the other is 3-inch magnum with an 18-inch barrel. I bought both new at a sporting goods store.
Old March 27, 2002, 03:42 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Kuhnhausen's chronolgy of the 870 has "Police" models introduced in 1953, 3 years after the first 870 left the line. No info on marks, tho.

In any case, it's a fine shotgun. Enjoy...
Old March 27, 2002, 06:07 PM   #7
S.F.S

Well Dave I guess you forgot about my WingMaster? ... LOL
I had to call Remington to verify mine was a WM before I bought it, cause all it said on the receiver was Remington Model 870 Magnum and sure enough it was, the rep. said that if the serial # starts with a W than its a WM.
Mine was manufactured in 1988.

Scott

Last edited by S.F.S; March 27, 2002 at 06:28 PM.
Old March 28, 2002, 05:40 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry Scott, I have enough trouble keeping my guns straight, much less those of my friends.

One good mark for dating 870s would be finding out when they changed the font, but I've no idea how to find out. The toll free number has folks answering that do not know a lot about 870s.
Old March 28, 2002, 05:58 AM   #9
S.F.S

Dave,
What do you mean by the font?

Scott