The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 11, 2004, 02:00 PM   #1
Nanaimo Barr

Smith and Wesson break top

I posted about this a couple of years ago or so, finnaly got decent pics.

there is a 4 digit number stamped into the strap on the bottom of the butt.

I think I know what it is, but any info would be greatly appreciated, and the owners are interested as well as it is a heirloom,

NB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W1a.jpg (75.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg S&W2a.jpg (49.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg S&W3a.jpg (84.7 KB, 28 views)
Old August 11, 2004, 03:52 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Smith & Wesson No 3 American, First Model, standard type in sound condition. Looks like mostly brown patina. Is there any blue or case color remaining? What are the barrel rib markings?

Looks like there is a little hole in the extractor housing, is that 4-digit number (serial number) less than 1500? Should be, according to Blue Book.

Caliber .44 S&W aka .44 American aka 44/100 S&W (There were a mighty few .44 Henry rimfires made.)

Blue Book value in the low to middle thousands of dollars, depending on what a collector would call the condition. Nice.

I suggest showing it over at www.smith-wessonforum.com and see what the experts say.
Old August 11, 2004, 04:16 PM   #3
Nanaimo Barr

>Smith & Wesson No 3 American, First Model, standard type in sound condition. Looks >like mostly brown patina. Is there any blue or case color remaining? What are the barrel >rib markings?

mostly brown Patina yes.. it did look to be sound based on my limited knowledge.

I don't recall any blue or case, but the light wasn't good and I wasn't actually allowed (legaly) to handle it. but I would hazzard 98% patina

Barrel Rib Markings

"Smith and Wesson Springfield Mass USA PAT July 10 60 jan. 17. Feb 17 July 11 65 & aug 24 69"

>Looks like there is a little hole in the extractor housing, is that 4-digit number (serial >number) less than 1500? Should be, according to Blue Book.

high 1400's. looking to see if I have a better pic of the extracor housing.

hope this is the right angle

>Caliber .44 S&W aka .44 American aka 44/100 S&W (There were a mighty few .44 Henry >rimfires made.)

>Blue Book value in the low to middle thousands of dollars, depending on what a collector >would call the condition. Nice.

I think you made someones day! they have it as a heirloom, one of them "mysterious relitives", seems someone jumped ship off a Brit Merchie in Oregon in the late 1800's

I suggest showing it over at www.smith-wessonforum.com and see what the experts say.

will do, thanks for the info..
NB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s&w4a.jpg (86.3 KB, 26 views)
Old August 11, 2004, 04:33 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I am not a S&W collector person, but the markings are correct according to Flayderman. Sounds and looks like a nice piece with family history.

Curious, though.
How come you were not allowed to legally handle it?
Old August 11, 2004, 04:51 PM   #5
Nanaimo Barr

I'm a Legal Resident Alien, (came into the country legaly and everything), Washington state (where this pistol is) has a law saying Aliens need a special permit to even be in possession of a firearm, but I live in Idaho, so therefore can not be issued the permit. but I still have to have it to handle firearms in WA state.. catch 22

my wife sure had a good time thought! wish I had gotten some pics of her fondling it