The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 24, 2015, 07:15 PM   #1
1stmar

Looking for opinions on sharps from buffalo arms..

One of my next rifles will be a sharps, I've done some reading and understand that Shiloh and C sharps are about the best. Seems opinions are pretty mixed which is better. While I can find them, most seem to be >$2600. I'm looking to keep it at or under $2. Additional reading looked like perdsoli barreled Übertis or Armis were also good but perhaps a step below Shiloh, c sharps. I won't be competing, but I'm looking for a good shooter with some nicer refinements (wood, Hartford..). I've found what looks to be a decent rifle from buffalo arms, pedersoli barreled imported by cimmaron. Other than tang and globe, it appears to have what I am looking for. I can add sights later. I'm not very knowledgeable on single shots or sharps so looking for feedback.

Model 1874 Sharps Sporting Rifle 34" 45-70
http://www.buffaloarms.com/pedersoli...aspx?CAT=3936#

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by 1stmar; January 24, 2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old January 25, 2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Jim Watson

OPINION:

Pedersoli is the best of the foreign copies.

The Quigley movie inspired rifles are not the best for shooting.
The military stock with a lot of drop and narrow buttplate is a recoil amplifier, even though the 1859 type patchbox is flashy onscreen.
The 34" barrel that looks in proportion when carried by a tall actor on the big screen is awkward to handle in shooting position. It is also more subject to fouling out.

The Pedersoli No 1 Silhouette Rifle is a better shooter with shotgun butt and pistol grip. Costs less, too. I'd rather have (Do have!) a 30" barrel but 32 is better than 34.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/pedersoli....aspx?CAT=3936

BUT
If you are willing to spend the $2000 of the rifle you show, you can do better. Base price of an American Sharps from Shiloh or C. Sharps is less than that; you just have to keep from checking all those option boxes for stuff that looks good but does not help the shooting qualities.

If you don't have to have the glamor of the 1874, the C. Sharps 1875 is the great bargain of the BPCR world. Too bad their website is down, surely they will get it going as they recover from the SHOT Show.
Old January 25, 2015, 04:18 PM   #3
1stmar

Thanks for the detail Jim. I believe I looked at the 1875, though as you said the site is down so I am unsure. Is that the Lyman version?

When you say "American Sharps", do you mean a pistol grip version, ie the 1874 #1 sporter?
Old January 25, 2015, 11:19 PM   #4
Jim Watson

The 1875 Sharps is the "boxlock" with no separate lock plate for its hammer. Sharps only made one or a few prototypes but C Sharps is building them as a regular model. It is substantially less expensive than the 1874 and much less than the sleek 1877.

By American Sharps, I mean the ones actually made in Big Timber Montana, USA. Shiloh Sharps and C Sharps are right down the street from each other.

Last edited by Jim Watson; January 27, 2015 at 01:29 AM.
Old January 26, 2015, 10:12 PM   #5
chiefr

Most are going to disagree with me, but I consider the all Sharps replicas black powder only.
Old January 27, 2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I think they are, philosophically. My Browning BPCR has only been shot with black and my Winchester Single Shot only with black for the past decade or so.

But the guns can certainly handle smokeless loads physically, they are plenty strong enough. The Italian imports have to be proof tested for use with 28000 CUP SAAMI - CIP ammo. And Kirk Bryant at Shiloh will tell you his are good for that much or more.
Old February 5, 2015, 09:11 PM   #7
1stmar

C sharps finally got their site up. Looks like a nicely equipped 1875 is considerably less expensive than an 1874. Besides the dble set trigger what other differences are there?

Here is the config I am considering. Let me know your thoughts..

Model 1875 Target and Sporting Rifle
Calibers: 45-70 2 1/10 Sharps Straight
Semi-Fancy American Walnut Butt Stock
Barrels: 30" Tapered Octagon Barrel
Tang Sights: Deluxe Long Range Tang w/ windage
Front Sights: Globe with Apertures & Spirit Level
Triggers: Single Set Trigger

Thx

Last edited by 1stmar; February 5, 2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old February 6, 2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Jim Watson

That sounds like a nice outfit and you have brought it in for under $2000. (Although they will stick you for the excise tax on top of that.)

A competitive target shooter would probably pony up for the Soule tang sight, the windage adjustment is more convenient.

In fact, I will probably be shooting alongside an 1875 tomorrow.
Old February 6, 2015, 02:24 PM   #9
NoSecondBest

I've owned three Pedersoli Sharps rifles and they were all very, very well made firearms and very accurate. That being said, Jim Watson gave you excellent advice. Get the American made gun and it will only ever go up in value and the quality is superb.