The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2015, 07:35 PM   #1
mattL46

Frustrated and depressed with Model 52 Win

So I've had it since Xmas. Been shooting the crap out of it. By far the most accurate rifle I've ever had the pleasure to know. Anyhow about a week ago I was shooting it when the trigger locked up on me. This rifle has the D/E type micro motion trigger. I believe to have solved the issue with said trigger. During fixing trigger while cleaning it I blasted some carb cleaner through it. The action has been bedded. I'm not sure with what/type of bedding. The bedding job was no neat super pro job. It wasnt pretty buy it worked. Rifle was scary accurate. You could see a tiny bit oozed up and out where the stock and receiver make contact. When I initially had the barelled action out to clean trigger you could see that there was a small amount of this bedding adhered to the bottom of the receiver. Intentional or not i dont know.Upon using the carb cleaner most of this bedding I accidentally washed away with the carb cleaner. This could be the problem or at least part of it. I'm not sure how tight to torque the action screws. I may be over or under tightening. I've tried a lot of torque levels and haven't seen any solid improvements. I have also read that issues with these match triggers could cause problems with accuracy. I'm lost and don't really kno what direction to go in now. I won't be giving up. Just saddened and frustrated when it shot so well before and I'm completely ignorant to what went wrong. Please help. Thank you gentleman.
Old January 9, 2015, 06:48 AM   #2
az_imuth

Matt...there are a lot of competitive shooters over on the CMP forums that shoot the model 52, as well as many others. If I were in your shoes, I'd visit the site and pick their brains for the information you need. You may very well get the answers you need here at TFL, but I feel your odds will be a little better over there. Just be sure to return and share your findings if you get the answers you're looking for.
Old January 9, 2015, 07:33 AM   #3
mattL46

Thanks az.
Old January 9, 2015, 06:00 PM   #4
mattL46

Fixed. Thanks AZ for the only response. Appreciate your help.
Old January 12, 2015, 10:04 AM   #5
30Cal

Rimfirecentral has a ton of 52 information.
Old January 12, 2015, 02:00 PM   #6
Blindstitch

So how was the problem fixed?