The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2000, 10:25 AM   #1
Coolray

I just fired a box of rounds loaded with several different grain loads of 2400. In my .44spl not the best powder choice As I'm learning, I'd like to use up the CCI 350's but the free powders I can try are W231 and IMR 4227 the winchester manual says No to the magnum primers. What I need is a load to use up these primers. I want to use the componets I have as a learning tool, otherwise I'll just go buy new primers. The bullets I have are Speer 200gr GDHP (gold dot) If anybody knows a load that I can use with the IMR powder and CCI 350's If not I'll head to the supply store and get some different stuff to try. The 2400 was given to me to try,did not burn all the way. I'm trying not to buy several powders so I have a bunch of half empty cans on the shelf. I do want to try several types to see what works best in each pistol 9.mm and .45Acp
A couple of buddies reload shot shell,perhaps a shot powder will work?

Handloading is a Blast
Old November 1, 2000, 03:41 PM   #2
Hutch

What revolver are you loading for? It may be that you had too light a load, or too little crimp. Folks been loading hot .44Spl's with 2400 for a long time.
Old November 1, 2000, 10:38 PM   #3
Coolray

Hutch,
I have been loading for my Taurus 431 SS 2.5" Bbl .44spl The powder loads were 10 each of 11 11.5 12 12.5 13 of 2400 I will admit that the 12.5 and 13 gr loads seemd OK but the lower did not burn complete and left residue that I had to clean in order to reload and before I cleaned the gun I was having misfires the primers were hit but no bang after I cleaned most fired. I will verify the tightness of the crimp. thanks for the input.
Old November 1, 2000, 11:24 PM   #4
char923

Drop the load down 10% from book max. and use the CCI 350 primers and work the load up from there and watch for high pressure sign. the magnum primers use a heaver pellet weight and/or somewhat different primer mix formulations, for more engery and longer time span this well help to obtain desirable ignition of difficult to ignite powder or slow buring powder like 2400.
Old November 3, 2000, 07:00 PM   #5
Chris McDermott

Your mis-fires were probably caused by unburned powder getting between the rim and the cylinder, acting as a cushion when the firing pin hit the primer. CCI350's are the hardest to ignite pistol primers due to a heavier, stronger "cup"; usually they are used in heavy magnum loads to handle the high pressures.
2400 works great for heavy 44 special loads that approach the 44 magnum, but I wouldn't want to use them for plinking. 2400 is one of the slowest pistol powders, but really doesn't need magnum primers to set it off the way WW296/H110 does.

Many shotshell powders (the "Clays" series by Hodgdon, the "Dots" by Alliant etc.) do work well for pistol cartridges. If one of your friends has some of Hodgdon's "Universal Clays" you can borrow I think you'll really like it.
It sounds like you don't have any reloading information (I like Hodgdon's and Lyman's manuals) to guide you. Get a reloading manual and look for a load that uses a powder more suitable for light 44 special loads for your Taurus snubbie.

Warning - Some powders can be dangerous if loaded too light - Winchester has warnings to this effect out for their WW296 powder. Thinking that a load is safe because it's way under maximum is a good way to get into trouble. 2400 is pretty safe in this regard, light loads just don't burn cleanly as you found out.
Old November 4, 2000, 12:21 AM   #6
Coolray

Chris,
I have several manuals I just bought Speer's 13th today and It had a lot of good info in it. I am also learning to understand what I'm reading It even has a load that notes it was tested in a Taurus 2.5" So I'm on my way to safe loading.