The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Tomas

Anybody have any encounters with pitiful PETA people this year?

Just wondering - - - what did you do about it, if anything? Did they screw up your hunt?

I was elk hunting in Idaho couple weeks ago and a guy in an orange vest and yuppie Subaru was walking his mongrel right through our hunting area. We were hoping the bear or wolves might get him. Luckily, the elk were else where, and he didn't actually screw up the hunt (we killed three this year [I GOT TWO!] so we all took a bunch of meat home).

The second day we saw him we waited off the trail and walked out in from of him (love not having to wear blaze orange) and scared the bejesus out of him. He never came back, but had his big PETA pin on his vest. Geez.

Tom
Old November 11, 2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Triple J

PETA

They have tried it in Ohio in several places and have been arrested because its illegal here to disrupt a hunter afield. One time they tried to get out of the harassing charges so the game warden slapped them with assisting a hunt without a license . At the time they went walking into the woods banging pots, pans and anything that could make noise during our deer gun season. They where driving the deer instead of protecting them like they thought they were . So in short they don't get away with it much.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:40 PM   #3
Dave Haven

Not an encounter, and she isn't a PETA member, but...
A very dear friend of mine (I've known her for 24 years) hated me for a couple of days after I'd returned from my antlerless elk hunt. I MURDERED BAMBI!!!
She got over it.

Last edited by Dave Haven; November 12, 2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old November 11, 2007, 11:41 PM   #4
azsixshooter

I want to join PETA and spike their garden burgers with venison
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old November 11, 2007, 11:44 PM   #5
olds442man

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals
Old November 11, 2007, 11:46 PM   #6
DonR101395

Quote:
A very dear friend of mine (I've known her for 24 years) hated me for a couple of days after I'd returned from my antlerless elk hunt.

Down here I think they(peta) are legal game during the anterless season
Old November 12, 2007, 01:00 PM   #7
Fremmer

Another PETA idiot encounter, huh? That idiot was probably doing you a favor, because if there had been elk in the area, he probably would have driven them toward your position, so he was (unknowningly) doing you a favor.

IIRC, the PETA idiots tried a similar stunt a couple of years ago wherein they caught deer, put orange hunting vests on the deer, and then released the deer. I remember one of the hunters in the area was interviewed, and he commented (IIRC) that it was the best deer season he'd seen in years, because as a result of the orange vests, hunters could spot the deer from miles away!
Old November 12, 2007, 01:48 PM   #8
CmpsdNoMore

Quote:
the game warden slapped them with assisting a hunt without a license . At the time they went walking into the woods banging pots, pans and anything that could make noise during our deer gun season. They where driving the deer instead of protecting them like they thought they were
That's classic
Old November 12, 2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Sgt.Fathead

Sabotage

I only started hunting critters last year so was a little out of the loop on this one. Year before last, some PETA/ALF (Animal Liberation Front.....uh, yeah, right) college kids were deflating the tires on the trucks and cars of bowhunters in the area. They were caught, charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Old leather combat boots on the lot of them, too. Okay for domestic animals to die, not wild ones?
Old November 12, 2007, 07:21 PM   #10
SavageSniper

Quote:
I want to join PETA and spike their garden burgers with venison
Now you are thinkin!
Old November 12, 2007, 08:12 PM   #11
spacemanspiff

Whats with the masking of swear words in the thread title? Makes a real good impression to fence sitters.
Old November 12, 2007, 09:43 PM   #12
roy reali

Hardly!

In the part of Nevada I live in I hardly run into anyone, period.
Old November 12, 2007, 10:02 PM   #13
Sportology

P.E.T.A.

I always wondered what PETA really was. There's a slew of bumper stickers and hats up here marked: P.E.T.A., People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. This "news" makes it even more funny!
Old November 14, 2007, 12:10 PM   #14
FirstFreedom

Quote:
The second day we saw him we waited off the trail and walked out in from of him (love not having to wear blaze orange) and scared the bejesus out of him
Quote:
At the time they went walking into the woods banging pots, pans and anything that could make noise during our deer gun season. They where driving the deer instead of protecting them like they thought they were
Some funny stuff there!
Old November 16, 2007, 07:09 PM   #15
davlandrum

I think they were all distracted by the Vick case, so forgot about it during our season....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 16, 2007, 07:30 PM   #16
Boondox

I had a memorable encounter with a couple of PETA activists this past summer. When the little town of Brattleboro VT's anti-nudity ordinance expired they sent a pair of knockout gorgeous young blonde women to stand naked on a street corner protesting the wearing of furs!

Nobody heard their message but JEEZ they were pretty!

The best part was the article in the local paper that quoted a hunter who agreed that people should always treat animals ethically. "I always try to kill my deer with a single shot," he stated.
Old November 21, 2007, 08:19 AM   #17
USNairman

I was camping in a national forest over the weekend which was the opening weekend of deer firearm season. Peta was out there in full force with their hiking gear on and dressed in full orange, walking around and doing their best to spook the deer away from us hunters. It really makes a guy wish he could just shoot the hat right off of their heads.
Old November 21, 2007, 08:40 AM   #18
MeekAndMild

Watch your language folks!

Words do make a difference and these words are shibboleths:

Their word: animal rights
Our word: animal rightism

Their word: animal rights activist
Our word: animal rightist

Their word: hunt saboteur
Our word: criminal

Their word: PETA activist
Our word: PETAphile
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old November 22, 2007, 12:57 AM   #19
BIGR

Thats why I like private and lease land, they don't come around those areas. I bet they can be a pain in the a## on the game lands.
Old November 22, 2007, 09:42 AM   #20
USNairman

I know what you mean BigR. I never hunt the national forest but I do camp there every year. I own 30 acres that is full of deer and I always hunt it.
Old November 23, 2007, 09:39 PM   #21
Bigfatts

A friend of mine was hunting last year and some PETA types formed a human chain in the road in front of his truck. They then started moving towards the truck. He said they stopped real quick when he stepped out of the truck with the 3" magnum. They stayed put until a Fish and Game officer came with a couple Deputies to take them away. I don't know what they ended up being charged with, but they all got arrested.
Old November 24, 2007, 12:57 AM   #22
Crosshair

Bigfatts

Heh, wonder what would have happened if he did what my co-workers dad did when driving though Pine Ridge SD years ago. They tried to block the road, he stepped on the gas. I asked what he would have done if they didn't get out of the way. He replied "That's their problem."
Old November 24, 2007, 01:27 AM   #23
38splfan

Childish.

For some reason their childish antics really get under my skin. I know it shouldn't, but it does.
Mostly because so many are walking hypocracies. Leather boots, leather jackets, McDonald's cheese burgers, the list goes on and on.
Something about integrity (or the lack thereof) just eats me alive.
If you're gonna do something, do it because you believe in it, not because it's trendy.
Retards.
Old November 24, 2007, 02:48 AM   #24
The Tourist

I don't know, if they love animals so much, simply spray them with doe urine and have the bucks chase them out of the woods...

...or perhaps one of the rutting males will catch one, if you get my drift.
Old November 24, 2007, 03:26 PM   #25
38splfan

Doe urine.

Doe Urine????
Isn't there a "mature black bear in heat" scent we could use?