The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2001, 10:18 PM   #1
Moe

I have a Benelli M1 super 90 with a 28" barrel. I use it for water fowl but would like to use it for upland as well and camp defence(black bear problem here) I have been considering a 21" or 24" barrel but they are a lot of money and I don't want to get one if it is going to through my skills off on my wing shooting ducks as one barrel to the other back and forth in barrel lenght. My hunting buddies think I should just sell the gun and buy a 24" for an all around compromise. I think that a 24" may not do well from loss of velocity and a shorter barrel and lighter weight would make a crappy swing. What would you do in my position?
1. Sell gun and buy a 24"
2. Buy an aditional 21"-24" barrel
3. Stick to what I have
4. Your suggestion here
Thank you very much for your input.
Last thoughts. I use tungston or bismuth on duck and I always wonder how much of a velocity difference(killing power) is lost per inches of barrel length?
Old April 10, 2001, 03:59 AM   #2
PreserveFreedom

There is an old saying...

The more the merrier! It never hurts to have a second shotgun.

Old April 10, 2001, 06:12 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Good friend went with the 24 inch barrel and is very pleased. Started with the 28 (IIRC) and moved down. The velocity loss is minimal and has no real bearing.

As you've probably discovered, barrels are very expensive (300 bucks or so). I went through a couple of M1S90's and never did find an inexpensive aftermarket barrel or I would still own one.

My recommendation would be to get a second gun. True cost would be minus the amount that a factory barrel costs, so that should help. You have the manual of arms down, so there would be good continuity there.

Or you could get a good pump for under $300..

Giz
Old April 10, 2001, 06:23 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I doubt that the velocity loss, if any,of a shorter bbl would be greater than shot to shot variation within a box of ammo.

Lighter weight does not mean a crappy swing. Bad shooting habits do. To be fair, I admit I hate swapping bbls because of balance issues, which is why I've 5 870s here now.

Your Pizza gun is a good'un, I hear. Either try it with that bbl and your bear load of choice or get a beater 870, 500 etc.
Old April 10, 2001, 03:14 PM   #5
Kobra

Modern shotshells accelerate in 20 to 22" so barrel length is purely a preference thing.

I can never have enough guns so buy another one.