The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 30, 2015, 09:28 AM   #51
drobs

Unless the casing are hitting me in the forehead or barely / lazily ejecting out of a gun, or not ejecting at all, I just don't worry about erratic ejection patterns.

Can you hit the target with it?
Old October 30, 2015, 01:04 PM   #52
mkiker2089

I assume it's normal because Sccy tested it after replacing the ejector. I don't see a difference with different ammo and I have tried many brands and weights. I even tried buckshot and the 98gr lites.

My nephews FN will put the casings in a bucket but it has a flaw in being picky about what ammo it likes. Off brand 115gr can be problematic and anything less regardless of brand is a no go. Being most 9mm are 115 he has to be careful and get name brand stuff or have it professionally loaded. We happen to know a pro who can make custom loads.

As for my aim, that's still a problem. I've found that the gun is harder to hold than my revolver. I don't feel a lot of recoil but the gun does have a fair amount of muzzle flip. That seems to be affecting my aim although I still think the bullet is gone before the flip. Either that or somehow I pull up when squeezing the trigger instead of down. I've modified my thumbs forward to to have my left index finger up and on the bottom of the gun and that has helped but feels wrong.

My revolver has more muzzle flip and it aims better. I do know the problem is in my style though because the rangemaster was able to get bulls eyes with it.

edit-- now that I recall it my first few shots with a revolver were high, maybe it's how I sight things up? Practice is helping though.
Old October 30, 2015, 05:02 PM   #53
orionengnr

Quote:
Occasionally the bullets have hit me on the head, which is the last straw for me.
If you have been hit in the head by multiple bullets, you are very lucky to be able to post. Or walk, talk or anything, for that matter.
Old October 30, 2015, 05:17 PM   #54
Remington74

Have someone load a mag or two for you with one round being a snap-cap but at different positions in the magazine.

When you get to the snap-cap you will know what your response is to anticipated recoil.
Old October 31, 2015, 05:47 AM   #55
drobs

I had Sig 220 that ejected shell casings right back into my forehead. Imagine that could've been fixed but traded it off.