The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Toad

Reloadable shotgun shells

I know nothing about reloading for shotguns but would like to learn. For quail and dove I normally use Winchester Universal or Federal game loads.(7 1/2 and 8 shot.) Both are low base shells that appear to be non brass. I use these as I can buy them in bulk at Walmart. Can these be reloaded? Seems a shame to just throw them away..... Thank you..
Old February 22, 2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Ruger4570

Welcome to the Forum from a former fellow Arizonan (Tucson)
Yes you CAN reload them but you are better off sticking with the common ones like STS wna AA hulls that wads are readily available for. The other problem, some of the cheaper hulls will only load a time or two. In any event, do as you please, it is YOUR hulls.
Old February 23, 2009, 12:59 AM   #3
1911 Shooter

remington 12 ga hulls load the best. any of the remington brand.
Old February 23, 2009, 06:46 AM   #4
VaFisher

I like the AA Winchester hulls myself.
Old February 23, 2009, 09:02 PM   #5
crowbeaner

You can reload just about ANY shotshell, you just have to determine just what you have and find the data for them. Buy the Lyman Shotshell Manual #4 and #5, and load your shells exactly as written in the manual. DON"T CHANGE THINGS WILLY NILLY! Changing ANYTHING changes the ballistics of the load and when loading above 10,000 LUP or PSI small changes make big differences. Your Federal hulls probably have the rolled paper basewad, and will require a grain or two more of powder to get the same velocity as a unibody or compression formed hull. RP hulls are excellent choices, as are the WW AAs and Federal Gold Medal hulls. I load them all myself, and there are many great performing loads out there. Get the powder MFG data booklets (usually free) at the shop where you buy your components. IMR, Olin, Hodgdon, VV, Alliant and others all publish data so you can cross reference things. I just finished loading around 2000 shells myself with a variety of loads and charges and shot weights. MEC machines rule in this humble abode; there are other brands, but I like the scarlet steel myself. CB.
Old February 25, 2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Primevalpapa

Toad - I just buy a lot of those and throw them away. You will find a minimal amount of savings involved with 12 and 20 ga unless you reload a lot of shells. The single stage press is slow and you would be lucky to pay yourself a minimum wage equivalent reloading.

I got rid of two MEC Jr's (12 & 20) and kept one. I reload the 16 ga on the Jr. I kept. This does pay to reload as availability and price of 16 sucks. I don't shoot a lot of the 16 so a single stage is OK.

I reload the 410 on a Hornandy 366 progressive. I shoot more 410 than anything else and it really pays to reload it. Dove hunting and skeet.

Unless you are into trap & skeet, I don't think that reloading for the dove and quail seasons only will have any payback in 12 or 20.

All that being said, a lot of people like to reload as a past-time. I have limited time availble so it has to pay to keep my interest. I would rather be hunting, shooting, fishing ..........

I would suggest that you buy Rem STS or Game Loads if you decide that you want to reload 12 or 20. They are a little more costly at the store but reload really smoothly. Both the STS and GLs use the same loading data.

I am unsure if the Winchester Universal at Walmart etc use the same load as the Win AA. A lot of the trap & skeet guys do not like the newer Winchester HS hull for 12/20 and are always looking for the old AA. The HS is good in the 28 and 410.
Old February 25, 2009, 09:16 PM   #7
amamnn

From an AZ expat--for what it's worth-- I agree that reloading shotshells for the application you mentioned is worthwhile if you are going to load a LOT ( 1000 or more a year) of them and/or you get your loader and components REALLY cheap.

Or- if you enjoy the reloading process itself.........
Old February 25, 2009, 09:50 PM   #8
b money

just throw the cheapies away and next time you buy 12ga get remington ANY remington even the 100 packs at wal-mart because they are all a one peace hull therefore you dont have to worry about the base wad coming out and lodging in your barrel then when you fire your next shot your gun goes boom

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=13

this is the link to the reloading page

I hope its ok to post this link, but this is a REALLY good site for shotguns and if your just starting to reload shotgun hulls will help alot
Old February 26, 2009, 11:26 PM   #9
FM12

Winchester "AA" are hard to beat, and I hear Remmy STS are good also. Hard to beat the AAs though.