The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2005, 01:04 PM   #1
lundloader

Flechettes

Can anyone give me load data on loading 12-guage cartriges with flechettes?
Old October 5, 2005, 05:38 PM   #2
klw

No but I'd love to see a picture of the flechettes.
Old October 5, 2005, 08:37 PM   #3
.45 Vet

You're not going back to the old "JUNK YARD DOG" loads are you. Have used the Speer shot capsules in .38/.357 but never tried shotgun. Interesting idea...

used to use small brass/copper tubing from a hobby store, flattened and cut at an angle with wire-cutters.
Old October 5, 2005, 08:50 PM   #4
beenthere

Fletchets

I read an article years ago about using them in shotgun loads. The shells in the article used brass rods cut to length. From memory I think they tried sizes from 1/16 to 1/8 dia. Absolutely shredded a chicken. If you are thinking of HD I'd think there would be the chance of mutilating without killing and facing a terrible lawsuit.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old October 5, 2005, 10:01 PM   #5
m0ntels

I'm pretty new to shotgun loading, but if I were to guess, I'd take an equal weight slug load that allowed enough room in the hull for the darts and use that. I also heard to have half facing forward, half backward. They are supposed to flip forward on firing, but firing backwards caused less damage to the projectiles or something like that. Read it somewhere, but havenet actually touched a flachette in my life. Looks like loads of fun, I just dont know what I'd do with them.

Randy
Old October 6, 2005, 03:43 AM   #6
kcoop9999

for the flechettes loaded backwards, you would have to be far enough away from your target to give them time to rotate and stabilize. Being closer would probably cause key-hole wounds, which may have been the idea behind this suggestion originally? Of course a mixed load in this situation would allow for a denser load also. Had some mil. flechettes years ago. Found them while doing wash in the barracks laundry room. Ran my hand around the bottom of the washer as not to miss any socks etc. Felt sharp pain (pun intended) in finger. Pulled out hand to find two darts in finger!! Talk about a booby-trap!