The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Dre

Any ammo deals???

I'm looking for 12 ga target load ammo either on-line or in-store...Please help/advise where do you buy "good price ammo"
Old January 2, 2010, 12:49 AM   #2
colostomyclown

Wal Mart.

/thread
Old January 2, 2010, 02:21 AM   #3
Dre

ANY OTHER?
Old January 2, 2010, 02:30 AM   #4
olddrum1

Have you considered reloading?
Old January 2, 2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Dre

Have you considered reloading?

No, not yet. I just want to buy cheap/good deal ammo for now...I just seriously started and I put lots of money in this already, so maybe later. I found some good deals on-line but shipping is killing me, so guys please advise where do you find those deals?

Walmart = very limited selection
Old January 2, 2010, 01:23 PM   #6
m1thumb

Recommend either Walmart or Farm and Fleet. You can get the 100 round battle packs for about $21-23.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:51 PM   #7
colostomyclown

Walmart has exactly what you asked for for cheaper than anyone else. Their selection is limited because for "TARGET/PRACTICE" ammo, they have whatever you'd want. Buy the value packs. Nowhere else even comes close so don't bother.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:59 PM   #8
oneounceload

If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods, they run Remington Gun Clubs on a sale about every 3-4 weeks with the pricing as good or better than wally world
Old January 2, 2010, 02:53 PM   #9
BigJimP

The gun clubs in my area have the best prices / and frankly a better selection of what you want. Some clubs sell components and shells by case lots to members only .....but its an excuse to become a member.

There might be a wholesaler or retailer in your area that will let you order 20 cases or something ....

I'd recommend Rio's or Rem Gun Club / stay away from Estate .... $ 55 - $ 60 for a flat of 10 boxes is about the going rate around here for Rio's or Gun Club in my area.
Old January 2, 2010, 03:04 PM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
$ 55 - $ 60 for a flat of 10 boxes is about the going rate around here for Rio's or Gun Club in my area.
Which is what the wally world cheap promos are going for, yet the others are a better round. Rios, Fiocchis, Gun Clubs are all running around here between 50-60
Old January 2, 2010, 03:08 PM   #11
BigJimP

The guys around here shooting cheap shells - have a lot of trouble with Fiocchi shells not feeding ... in pumps they tend to get stuck in the chamber / in semi's the just plain jam things up .... even in an O/U they can be tough to extract.

I've never measured them to see what the problem is / but its clear to me the base (whatever its made of ) is expanding inside the chamber upon igniton ...
Old January 2, 2010, 03:55 PM   #12
oneounceload

Have never seen any issues with Fiocchis - two shoot their 28 gauge ammo in semis and O/U - they also use the white rhinos with great success - both in function and scores
Old January 2, 2010, 04:07 PM   #13
BigJimP

Its only 12ga Fiocchi's I've seen a problem with .... I should have mentioned that the first time...
Old January 2, 2010, 04:41 PM   #14
oneounceload

One of the guys I shoot with was formerly sponsored by Fiocchi - he still get jobber/distributor pricing and a few others go in with him on them - all shoot K-80's in 12 gauge and have never had issues. Now ya got me befused and confuddled Jim.......
Old January 2, 2010, 05:19 PM   #15
Dre

I found Rio's in my area 54.90 per case, if you buy 25 cases the price gets lowered to 51.90...I assume plus tax? It's 40 miles from my place.

I've tried Estate = 59.90 minus 5% per case - in my local Sportsmen Warehouse store

I've never tried Rio's. Per BigJim Rio's better then Estate and cheaper too.

I've tried Remington from Walmart (not STS or GUN CLUB) and I don't like them = dirty and smell like...and the price was 6.50 per box of 25 (total with tax) - NOT THE BEST DEAL
Old January 2, 2010, 05:46 PM   #16
oneounceload

Rios and Kemens are the same company. While both were originally made in Spain, the new stuff is made in (IIrC),Mcewen, TN in an old Remington plant. The stuff is well made. Cutting it open will reveal hard round shot and well-made wads.
Old January 2, 2010, 06:56 PM   #17
BigJimP

Estates smell like.... a teenagers moldy wet sweat socks ...

But all the cheap shells seem to stink ...I wonder why ???

Maybe there's more "rat poop" in the cheaper shells ....when they sweep the floors and dump all those floor sweepings into the shells ... I don't know...??

By the way - when you get ready to reload / I recommend you settle on Rem STS or Rem Nitro hulls in 12ga. You'll find they're very durable .... and loading shotshells - you can't mix head stamps on hulls, like you can in metallic. You need to settle on one hull - make all your adjustments on your loader accordingly. Its not really logical - but you can't run REM and WIN hulls thru a press without some adjustment or you're going to get some nasty crimps ( and don't go with WIN anyway, the new WIN-HS hull has all kinds of issues for reloading ) - but that's a longer story.
Old January 2, 2010, 07:46 PM   #18
oneounceload

BigJim is right on the reloading part. Around here, (Central FL), the Remington - STS, Nitro, and Gun Clubs are the current favorites in 12 and 20, while the Winchester AAHS claim the top spots for 28 and 410.

If you scrounge hulls, use NobelSport or similar primers, clone wads from Claybuster or Downrange and use reclaimed shot - you can reload 12 gauge for about 3.50/box with 1oz loads.....and you can tailor them to your gun in whatever combo works best for you.
Old January 2, 2010, 08:01 PM   #19
BigJimP

I still have 5,000 ( Old style WIN AA hulls in 28ga ...na,na,na... ) .......but if I ever drop one on the ground that isn't split in at least 3 places ..... at least 3 guys will throw their backs out .... jumping on that hull .....

But I use Rem STS or Nitro's on all my 12 and 20ga reloads.

Rem Gun Club uses the same specs as loading Rem STS or Nitro hulls - but the Gun Club hulls are more brittle and will split after 4 or 5 loads / where the STS or Nitro hulls will go 20+ reloads or more .... or until you're too ashamed to reload them anymore ...( when the printing wears off ..) or until they won't hold a crimp any longer ..
Old January 2, 2010, 08:30 PM   #20
oneounceload

Candle wax will hold those bad crimps together Jim - it works pretty well too...

I've managed to get a good crimp on 28's with one petal missing - until I need a hammer to smack them in, I'll reload them (or they split down the side)

Tags
12 ga , ammo , shell