The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2009, 12:46 PM   #1
roy reali

Rifle or Pistol or Shotgun?

This is for those of you that do all three types of reloading. Which one do you enjoy more? I reload for rifle, handgun, and shotgun. I like reloading for my handguns more. I realize it is very similar to rifle reloading, but not having to lube the cases and having a can of powder last all day makes it more fun for me.
Old August 23, 2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Rembrandt

Prefer shotgun and handgun. Rifle is less enjoyable because it's so labor intensive, I've bought nearly every gadget to speed it it up, but still takes forever.
Old August 23, 2009, 02:54 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

my powder funds likes the pistol loading best...
Old August 23, 2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Shoney

I also load all three.

The most fun is the semi-auto pistol, becasue it runs high volumes on the progressive.

Rifle cartridges for gas guns are also loaded full progressive, but require a little more work lubing and spot checking powder weights. Rifle loadings with extruded powders are loaded on the progressive, but removed to weigh each charge.

Shotgun loading is the most work because the press is a one at a time through 5 stations.

But the most fun of all is pulling the trigger on any of them.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 24, 2009, 03:06 PM   #5
BigJimP

I use progressive presses on all 3 - rifles, handguns and shotshells --- which is more fun ( probably handguns, but it really makes no difference ...). I enjoy the time in the shop / especially if the boys or some of the grandkids are helping --- and mostly they help with handgun ammo or shotshells.

I lube pistol cases too / makes the press run smoother - so my metallic procedure doesn't vary between rifle and pistol.