The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 19, 2013, 02:26 PM   #1
LinuxHack3r

Night Sights for G19

I carry a Glock 19, and had Trijicon Bright & Tough GL01's placed on it 6 months ago. I was shooting this weekend, and my front sight fell off and got lost. As far as I can tell, the bolt/screw that holds the front sight sheered and is now about half as long as the factory original.

I am in the process of getting it replaced via warranty, but I'm open to trying out new night sights. I've always bought Trijicon thinking they were the best, but this was disappointing.

I like the idea of the TFO's, but I have also read a lot of negative stuff about them. The flip side of that is I don't know how you can have much more "negative" stuff happen to you than losing your front sight!

Durability goes above aesthetics for me, go!
Old June 19, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
LinuxHack3r

Interested in Meprolight, the TFO's, Trijicon HD's, and maybe Ameriglo. What would you all go with, and why?
Old June 19, 2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Jerry45

I have used both Trijicon and Meprolight. I like the Meprolight better. They seem to have larger and brighter white rings around the Tritium tubes. Now bare in mind my newest sights are probably about 8 years old, things may have changed.

Whomever installed your front sight probably didn't clean all the oil off before using LocTite or didn't use any LocTite at all and that's why it loosed up. If your only complaint is that is shook loose I'd just put some LocTite on it and tighten it back up.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:22 PM   #4
2ndsojourn

It doesn't sound like a problem with the night sights as much as it does with the installation. It seems to me that when the sight was mounted, the screw was over-torqued and partially sheared, then finally....pfft...it's gone.

I have Trijicon night sights on mine and am totally satisfied, but that's the only gun I ever had night sights for.
Old June 20, 2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Scorch

I install a ton of night sights. I prefer the Meprolights. And yes, it sounds like whoever installed your sights overtightened the screw that holds the sight on. It's tiny, you don't need to crank on it.
Old June 20, 2013, 07:39 AM   #6
LinuxHack3r

That was one of my first thoughts, I bet it was over tightened in installation. However, I am shipping the part to Trijicon today to see what they say. Hopefully they will take care of me.

I was also wondering the opposite, perhaps it became loose and then started becoming impacted on a barrel lug or something during firing. That should show evidence though, and I see none. I really think it was either a badly formed/tempered screw, or an over tightened screw. If I was over tightened I'd be badly tempered too!

I am interested in the Meprolight's now. And I am interested in Ameriglo, it is just that I am not that familiar with them.

Oh, and I cannot simply re-install the front sight. It is gone. Poof. Disappeared. No aquĆ­.
Old June 23, 2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Old Stony

Glock sights are about the easiest in the business to replace. A tiny bit of loctite on the front and you are in businss. Someone screwed up..
Old June 25, 2013, 08:46 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

glock sights....

There are a few great night sights for the Glock models.
XS sights, Novak sights, Warren(I'd get the Operator type), Trijicon HD(orange & green).

See www.Glockstore.com www.brownells.com www.bowietacticalconcepts.com www.novaksights.com www.glockbooks.com .
Gunsmith and SWAT cop, David Bowie of Ohio can install the Warren sights.
Wayne Novak is a highly respected pistolsmith & makes tritium sights.
The HD line may be worth a look but many armed professionals like the XS & Warren sights too.