The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 2, 1999, 09:09 AM   #1
DDS

I have used ultrasonic cleaners for years in my profession and with the appropriate solutions for the task at hand they work wonderfully. I routinely use an L&R ultrasonic tank to clean and lube my pistols.
I shoot weekly and the once postponed and tedious task of thoroughly cleaning each pistol has been eliminated. Once completed,
my pistols are "factory new clean".All I do is simply remove the stock/grips and field strip, if an auto. I usually use the cleaning solution for approximately 10 min then rinse all the parts with H20 in the sink. Depending on how fouled the pistol is, I sometimes use a worn toothbrush to lightly brush away loose debris in small crevices. The parts are then grossly dried and a lubricating solution is replaced for the cleaning solution. My tank has a drain plug to make the change very easy. The parts are then run for approx. 10 min to displace any H20. It is just that simple! I never have to use a bore brush except to quickly swab out the lube accumulation.
The only diadvantage I have encountered is that screw parts have unloosened in the past requiring me to strain the cleaning solution prior to rinsing. I feel that the ultrasonic action was not the culprit but the parts were loose to begin with. I have cleaned this way for years and am spoiled to the point that I wouldn't go back to the traditional method of cleaning. My pistols are very, very expensive and I feel the modest cost of getting started is well worth the investment. Hope this is of some help!!

Old May 3, 1999, 11:36 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Thanks for the answers DDS. How big/small are tanks for the average weapon ehthusiast (or should I say the average TFLer); two full-size autoloader, for example. Is there a recommended cleaning solution for these or will any of the basic guncleaning solutions work.
BTW American Gunsmith had some articles on making your own solutions earlier this year/late last year.
Old May 3, 1999, 02:42 PM   #3
DDS

fal308:
L&R has tanks that range in size from small(2-3 hanguns), to rifle size tanks.I use the small tank quite well to clean 3 pistols at a time. I have only ever used L&R's cleaning and lube solutions so far, they work great.
I was considering using Cylinder & Slide's
"TUB" cleaning solution that they sell mailorder when my solutions are expended.
I buy my supplies from brownell's which are quite reasonable in price.
Old May 4, 1999, 11:16 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Thanks again DDS. One more question if you don't mind. Does L&R have a website?
Old May 5, 1999, 04:48 AM   #5
DDS

fal308:
I am not aware of any website but I,m sure Brownells would provide you with any info about L&R you'd like.If you don't have any luck I'll get their phone # for you.
Old May 5, 1999, 10:13 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Thanks
I have their catalog. Was just wondering about any more info that a website might have.
I've never talked with anyone who had any experience with these. Sounded like it might be worth looking into. They're not mentioned much at the clubs I frequent so I don't think many people use them. Thanks again!!
Old May 5, 1999, 08:22 PM   #7
fubsy

fal308...In the last year or so Ive become aware of a nifty little cleaning situation, the gun smith I like to use has a small table top size clean tank which he keeps mineral spirts in to clean firearms....now he cleans alot he is the police dept gunsmith for the city I live in....its quite a handy little set up and appears to work well.......Ive also recently made the acquaintance of another gunsmith and we were discussing this set up he advised that the addition of air bubbles would help with the cleaning action.......many many years ago I stuck a fox 20 ga sbs, in an ultrasonic cleaner and I had no idea what I was doing or even what chemical was in the tank...it stripped the bluing off the gun real good...lol....fubsy.
Old May 6, 1999, 04:54 AM   #8
DDS

fal308:
Sounds like fubsy had a bad exper. with ultrasonic cleaning, but please don't let that discourage you. The reason why many people don't use them is probably the initial cost to get started(approx. $300-350)
with a small basic setup. As stated earlier, I have used ultrasonic cleaning in my practice for many years on a daily basis with very expensive items cleaned. I have never had a problem at all and the time saved has allowed me to reload/shoot that much more.You might want to call the chemist at L&R who is a Glock shooter himself and he might allay your fears.

Dave
Old May 6, 1999, 11:23 AM   #9
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Was just looking through an issue of SAR on another matter and ran across an ad for Crest Ultrasonics. www.crest-ultrasonics.com . Will look there later.
Old May 6, 1999, 09:06 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I'll second DDS on ultrasonic cleaning. It is the way to go for speed and getting things really clean.

Jim
Old May 6, 1999, 10:58 PM   #11
fubsy

I wasnt trying to talk ya out of it....anything that works with less effort is the way to go.......just be sure of what your doing.....remember, I knew nothing about the solution or what was going on this was close to 15-20 years ago...lol....and i didnt like that ole gun anyway....and now that I think about it I think I left it in that tank all night....lol...fubsy...
Old May 7, 1999, 04:46 PM   #12
Gino

I've got a couple of questions:
1) So each time you clean a gun, it has to be totally submersed in the solution?
2) Each time you clean, you have to use the cleaning solution, and throw way what's left?
Then lube solution and throw that away?
3) I figure it is reuseable, but I had to ask. If reuseable, how long can you use the same solution? I realize that this would vary greatly, I just want a general idea.
4) After lubing, do you have to wipe off a lot of the lube from the gun?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old May 8, 1999, 11:33 AM   #13
DDS

Gino:
The solution is reuseable, approx 6 times for the cleaning solution. It comes in a gallon concentrate that is diluted for use. It will last a long time. The lube seldom needs to be changed since you are putting a clean gun in it; it just ocassionally needs to be topped off. Not much residue remains that does not volatilize. I simply wipe off with a silicone rag. I always quickly rebottle the lube and cap tightly. All parts of the gun are submerged in the solution. For you Glock or polymer gun fans youthe color of the gun appears different until to lightly rub it down with lubricant. I realy like tetra gun products.
Hope this helps.
Old May 8, 1999, 11:34 AM   #14
DDS

Gino:
The solution is reuseable, approx 6 times for the cleaning solution. It comes in a gallon concentrate that is diluted for use. It will last a long time. The lube seldom needs to be changed since you are putting a clean gun in it; it just ocassionally needs to be topped off. Not much residue remains that does not volatilize. I simply wipe off with a silicone rag. I always quickly rebottle the lube and cap tightly. All parts of the gun are submerged in the solution. For you Glock or polymer gun fans youthe color of the gun appears different until to lightly rub it down with lubricant. I realy like tetra gun products.
Hope this helps.
Old May 8, 1999, 11:36 AM   #15
DDS

Gino:
Hope this helps.