The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 03:26 PM   #1
rebs

red dot on my Ruger MK II

I had my Ruger drilled and tapped and a Ruger mount put on it as well as a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot. In order to zero the red dot I had to turn the windage full left. Any idea's on what would cause this ? I did take it back to the gun smith and he confirmed the mount is exactly right, he feels its in the red dot. Whats your opinions, have anyone else had this problem ? I mean it is zeroed for 50 ft indoor range, but what will happen when we move to outdoors and the 25 and 50 yard range ?
Old February 23, 2013, 04:30 PM   #2
kahrguy

Unless the opric is bad it sounds like the mounting screws were not drill off a true centerline . Maybe angled a bit off to the right side of centerline.

You could have removed the rear sight and used a weigand mount that attached in the dove tail. You may have to still. Try to find another optic to try .
Old February 23, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3
g.willikers

Yeah, it sounds like a off center installation.
There's off set mounts available, that could maybe cure it.
Borrowing another sight to try is a good idea, though, just in case it's actually the sight and not the mount.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:15 PM   #4
k511

+1 to trying a different sight....i had a similar problem when i first tried the idea of a red dot on my 22/45...had purchased a 40 dollar bushnell..long story short it didnt hold zero and would eat batteries. tried one of my friends burris fastfires and it worked great....now i have a Fastfire 2 on my 22/45 and a FF3 on my MKII hunter...a big fan to say the least, paid about 120 for the ff2 and around 160 for the ff3 with mounts
Old February 23, 2013, 05:45 PM   #5
rebs

Would it be right of center line when holding the gun up looking through the red dot or looking from the end of the barrel ?
I do have it sighted right on target at 50 feet but the adjustment is turned all the way left. Will it still be sighted in for windage at 50 Yards ? I realize I may have to adjust elevation at 50 yards.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
kahrguy

All you can do is try some different. Just know that if the mount wholes are off center only 1 or 2 degrees you would never see it but will know it when adjusting your optics. Try another dot and if stiill off your smith screwed it up.

Got to watch out with smithy's too. Way to many of them them are much more like oil change and tire change guys that say they are mechanics???

They get there degree at some community collage and there a smithy?? NO just a parts swapper . Some know where to draw the line ,some don't.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:39 AM   #7
g.willikers

It sounds like it's still the mount and not the scope, if the scope is holding zero.
But either way, without any more adjustment in the one direction, this arrangement is not going to be much help in the real world.
A scope and mount ought to be on target pretty much with the dot centered.

Last edited by g.willikers; February 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:26 PM   #8
rebs

You guys were right, the mount is off. Now I have 3 holes drilled and tapped to far to the right , how can that be fixed ?
Old February 24, 2013, 03:30 PM   #9
g.willikers

Unless the guy who messed it up is going to replace it, about all that can be done is using offset/adjustable mounts or something.
Maybe a real gunsmith could fill the screw holes, even just with the screws, and drill and tap new holes somewhere else along the top for another try.
Or maybe elongate the holes in the mount so that it's adjustable.

Last edited by g.willikers; February 24, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:26 PM   #10
kahrguy

Or just buy a weigand mount .