The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Nathan

Reloading Books for Experienced Reloader

Let me introduce myself a bit. I am an engineer. I have about 15 years reloading experience, but about half are less than 50 rounds a year and half are about 2000 rounds per year.

I have a Hornady LNL progressive press, RCBS 5-10 scale, various dies and the rest of the stuff I need.

I reload for:
38 spcl, 357 mag, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 375 JDJ, 5.56, and 300 WSM.

I'm looking for a reloading book which will expand my knowledge of the processes, give me new insight, help me develop better loads faster, and provide a wide variety of current data.

I'm thinking ABC's of reloading and or the Lyman 49th edition manual. Are there other good/better options?
Old August 25, 2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

One word:

QuickLoad

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

It's worth every last penny.
Old August 25, 2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Don P

Pricey, real pricey.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 25, 2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, I have both the Lyman 49th and ABCs, they are anything BUT "advanced". I bought ABCs before I knew virtually anything at all and still found it basic enough to be virtually useless.
Not everyone learns the way I learn and the ABCs are great for a lot of people but it is most certainly anything but advanced.

The Lyman 49th is better but it's still just the basic reloading techniques and how-tos. Nothing advanced or especially insightful. Good manual, but not for advanced learning.
Old August 25, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Uncle Buck

Sierra Bullets has a nice manual and in it they discuss a lot of aspects of shooting and reloading.

See if you can find one and take a look at it.

Most of the other manuals either cover the very basics, like Brian said, or cover just different loads.

It may be that you are looking for other books by noted shooters (Elmer Kieth comes to mind) that delve in to the reasons and how they developed different loads.
Old August 25, 2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Clark

I have 90 reloading books [cataloged them yesterday].

The one that fits the OP about process, the best is:
"Precision Reloading Handbook 10th" Gravatt and Sinclair 1999

There are no loads in there, just process.

Not easy to find
http://www.amazon.com/Sinclair-Inter...m/B001EJDAH6/2

The one that fits the OP about better loads faster, the best is:
Quickload
http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 25, 2012, 02:00 PM   #7
jcwit

My recommendation

http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Waters-Pet.../dp/0935632336
Old August 25, 2012, 02:38 PM   #8
the led farmer

Despite all the lee haters I have found modern reloading 2nd editionon by Richard lee to be very insightful to the process of reloading. I like lee's simple straightforward approach. i was unimpressed mostly with the lyman 49th, i felt modern reloading went into much more detail.

The load data, like ALL the other manuals, (IMHO of course)i could take or leave because you can get load data anywhere, like the powder manufacturer. All you need is a start point anyway to begin working up a load

Last edited by the led farmer; August 25, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old August 25, 2012, 03:42 PM   #9
NWPilgrim

For advanced handloading I agree with Quickload software. Pricey but the best investment I ever made in reloading. I have 2-3 editions of several manuals and QL is always within reasonable range of them and gives loads for many unlisted combinations and good velocity estimates for various bbl lengths.

Lee is good for discussion of pressures, Sierra is one of the advanced basic manuals. If you are going fir reL precision then get those kind of books that go into concentricity, etc. For general reloading I think the next step up us a chronograph and QuickLoad.
Old August 25, 2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Clifford L. Hughes

Nathen:

Subscrib to Handloader magazine, Wolf Publishing, it's published by monthly. Back issues a available on disk. I always got my money's worth. I just sold my bound collection of the first ten years. The magazine is loaded with technical information.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old August 25, 2012, 04:40 PM   #11
GeauxTide

Clifford gave the best advice. I've subscribed to Handloader and Rifle for many years. I also subscribe to loaddata.com, their web based repository from every manual and every article from Handloader.
Old August 25, 2012, 07:39 PM   #12
jaguarxk120

Find the following book "Principles and Practice of Loading Ammuntion by Earl Naramore".

This book is what many expert authors use to write about handloading, it is more of a text type book but covers all apects of reloading.
Old August 25, 2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Ideal Tool

Hello, Nathan. 1+ to what jaguarxk120 suggested..another oldie, but goodie..Phil Sharps Complete Guide To Handloading...dated material & some powders & components no longer avail. But as you probably know, there are 100 year old engineering & machinists handbooks out there that still contain a wealth on info..and some very useful "forgotten" info as well..that I recently put to good use! Both good books & delve deep into all aspects of handloading.
Old August 25, 2012, 11:45 PM   #14
j357

Nathan, thank you for asking the question. Thanks to all for the interesting and informative answers and links. I can see some amazon orders on the way.
Old August 26, 2012, 07:04 AM   #15
FCS

Hi I am a new member from England

Hi
Just thought I would introduce myself.
My name is Fred And shoot at gun clubs over here in the UK.
I just would like to warn everyone to do do or should I say not do what the press manufacturers tell you.
I just had a primer tray explosion on my lee pro 1000 Not a pleasant experience.
shrapnel wounds and ringing ears. I am ok though. The reason, federal primers.
I have loaded many 1000s of rounds over the years and should have known better.
I literally forgot.
It is a good idea every now and then to read the instructions or a good book just to jog your memory.
Fred
Old August 26, 2012, 08:11 AM   #16
grandpajoe

Nathan, you might want to look at bullet casting. That would open another area for you to explore.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:18 AM   #17
jimkim

I'd start with Lyman 49 and the latest Sierra manual. That will give you plenty of current recipes. After that I'd buy some older manuals and books. The stuff written before 1980 has been very informative. I especially like the older Lyman and Pre-Omark Speer manuals. I can usually find older Speer manuals for $3-9.00 depending on the quality.
Check out Castpics and see what you can find.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/OM/default.html

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Cla...s/default.html
Old August 27, 2012, 08:22 PM   #18
rajbcpa

,,,books have been completely obsolete for about 10 years.

Learn to use only the Net.
Old August 27, 2012, 10:02 PM   #19
TheTinMan

Thank goodness I have some obsolete books. Maybe they'll be worth something some day. Meanwhile, I can always read them.

To the OP - thanks so much for asking your question. I have a friend who has used Quickload a couple of times to help me understand chronograph results that werent expected. Also, the Sierra Exterior Ballistics site is pretty informative, but I'm no expert.
Old August 28, 2012, 04:07 AM   #20
1stmar

Books and periodicals are always interesting reading, but you'll learn more here in a week the reading any book.
Old August 28, 2012, 08:08 AM   #21
Whisper 300

For value, go Handloader Magazine and get the disk of back issues--a virtual treasure trove. I have been getting it for many years and wish I had issues back to # 1 but the disk helped although I am old enough to enjoy the paper versions rather than reading on a screen.

If you have the big bucks and like to tinker and "what if" with your reloads or just imagine what you could do with an obscure caliber or big bore or some other gun you don't own (yet), go with QuickLoad.

I must admit that I probably have not utilized 20% of its capabilities but it is nice to have.

Gary