The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Which Wildcat is BEST??
The 6mm/.30-30 1 6.25%
The .25 Ackley Krag 2 12.50%
The 6.5-'06 Ackley 11 68.75%
The .25/.303 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 6, 2001, 10:28 PM   #1
KYE-OAT

First Post Here

Well, ain't this Kewl???
First time here, yawl.....It's an awful neat forum....Totally in Awe....Anyhow, I would love to get Anyone's opinion who wants to give it on a few different things...Hope this gets Some buddy going....I don't Know....an' that's why I 'm asking......
A) The Wildcats( that would work for Varmints, but larger than .22) OFF The 303 British B) The 25 Ackley Krag( or other interesting wildcats for varmints off The Krag C) The 6.5-'06 Ackley D) The Single Shot Rifles designed by Frank DeHaas ????
Old July 6, 2001, 11:00 PM   #2
biganimal

I don't see my favorite....the 338/06
Old July 10, 2001, 08:58 PM   #3
Steve Smith

Hmm, ya like them weird calibers, huh? How 'bout that .22 Spitzenloudenboomer?

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old July 11, 2001, 07:17 PM   #4
DOCSpanky

How bout the...

.75-750 SUPERDUPERSHOULDERREMOVER

No .35 Ackley, sorry can't vote.

DOC
Old July 12, 2001, 06:56 PM   #5
KYE-OAT

Weird Calibers??

Sub-standard is what I like to call them..." weird" has too much Negativity attached to it. I don't think everyone thinks they are weird.....evidently a few people like the 6.5-'06....
Still, I was hoping to chance upon someone with first-hand knowledge of the Vault Locks and Chicopees (single shot rifle actions designed by The Great Frank DeHaas)....has anyone ever machined, assembled and Shot one of these???
Old July 16, 2001, 03:13 PM   #6
Steve Smith

Now "sub-standard" is DEFNIATELY a negitave term. Weird only denotes NON-standard.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old July 16, 2001, 03:48 PM   #7
KYE-OAT

OK, I just wanted to know...

Thanks for the clarification....I'll go along with that....However I still wanted to know about the 6mm-30-30, the 25 Ackley Krag, the 22 to 25 caliber .303 wildcats and the 6.5-'06.....as well as the Vaultlocks and Chicopees designed by F. DeHaas.....I'm hoping your cartridge and single-shot action knowledge is on par with your vocaulary....Would appreciate anything ya got...
Old July 16, 2001, 08:06 PM   #8
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Welcome!

KYE-OAT,

Glad to have you aboard. It may take a couple of weeks to get much response on the REALLY non-standard calibers, but there's a lot of knowledge to be gleaned from some of the participants hereabouts.

I started this reesponse to sugges you might find some information about those actions in Art of the Rifle forun, but, on reflection, you're probably in the right place. After all, almost anyone using such such things as Vaultlocks and Chicopees is probably a handloader, huh?

Best wishes,
Johnny
Old July 16, 2001, 08:58 PM   #9
KYE-OAT

To Johnny Guest

Hey,
Just wanted to say "thank You" for the hospitality.....and I'll try to be more patient.....I tell ya, So far I am so impressed with this Site and the cumilative Knowledge of the Moderaters , etc.....For instance, George Stringer in The Smithy has Given me much free info on amatuer gunsmith tips...Art has given me good ideas for practicing for the impending Big Game season...and so on.....
So , I figger if anyone knows about DeHaas' designs, they probably get on this Forum now and then..........in between walks in the woods with the Chicopee they built in their hands....

Thanks Again,
KYE-OAT
Old July 17, 2001, 09:12 AM   #10
Steve Smith

KYE-OAT, I don't think annyone would mind if you just bump your thread to the top every few days. Maybe that way someone will see it who has your common interest. All it takes in a period in your thread to bump the message to the top.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member