The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 3, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Rorik

Para USA 1911 GI

Just bought the Para Ordnance 1911 GI - more of an impulse buy than anything as the price was right and I have wanted a 1911 for a while now. Anyone have any experience with these? I haven't been able to find anything negative about them so far from reviews online.

Even though I haven't shot it yet, I'm already thinking of upgrades I may do, such as a match barrel, full length guide rod, and upgraded hammer and trigger + wood grips instead of the plastic black ones it came with.

Any suggestions?

Will also update this thread tomorrow evening after I have a chance to shoot the 1911, and let you guys know how I like it/post pics of groupings and such.

Last edited by Rorik; May 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Great pistols.

.45 Auto is .45 ACP. The ACP is short for "Colt Automatic Pistol." .45 Auto is the correct designation, and that's usually what you'll see in the ammo headstamp.

.45 Colt is the cartridge for the cowboy revolvers.

Quote:
Even though I haven't shot it yet, I'm already thinking of upgrades I may do, such as a match barrel, full length guide rod, and upgraded hammer and trigger + wood grips instead of the plastic black ones it came with.

Any suggestions?
Most people I know switch from full-length guide rods to the standard configuration. Save your money. And why would you want to spend half the price of your pistol (or more) on a new barrel that can't possibly shoot any better than the one you have? Para barrels ARE match barrels.

I agree on the hammer and trigger. The ones in the gun work okay, but they are lacking in aesthetics. I replaced mine because I couldn't stand looking at the originals.
Old May 3, 2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Rorik

Oh okay - I have only ever worked on rifles, so I'm fairly new to pistols. Now I feel like a dumbass for posting that hahaha.

I didn't realize the Para barrels were that good right off the bat, definitely good to know. The trigger and hammer would be primarily for aesthetic purposes, same with wood grips. I'm sure theres more comfortable grips out there but I like the look of wood grips.

As to the guide rod, I have heard a lot of people arguing both ways. Might get a full size and see how I like it.
Old May 3, 2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Hawkeye146

Para makes some really good pistols straight from the box. As far as the full length guide rod, it seems more personal preference like ford vs chevy debate. When it comes down to it, the shooter makes the pistol in the end.
Old May 3, 2013, 02:56 PM   #5
thedudeabides

Do not put a FLGR on a 1911.

It's a waste of money and a PITA to strip in the field.

I probably wouldn't bother upgrading it until you have a chance to shoot it, you may realize that it doesn't need anything.
Old May 3, 2013, 03:23 PM   #6
mukwah

Re: Para USA 1911 GI

I agree with the others. I've had mine a couple of months now and it's been a pure joy to shoot right out of the box! Mine came with skelatized hammer and trigger and fiber optic front sight which I like so no need for upgrades for me except new grips.
Old May 3, 2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Jacobie

I got one recently and noticed white gunk around the sights, anyone else have this?
Old May 4, 2013, 09:34 PM   #8
scubatop

Rorik, I went to LGS looking for ammo and a GI Expert on stainless steel followed me home. PARA was one of the 1911s I was looking at since it fit my criteria for purchasing. Love shooting it but have ordered some fingered hogue grips to try on it. Probably 300 rounds in the last month since getting it. No problems at all.
I just started shooting in January and own a S&W 22a w/bushnell red dot scope, Colt 1911 22 made by Walther and this PARA USA 1911 GI Expert stainless steel.

When deciding on a 1911 I thought it only appropriate to get one manufactured in the US.

If someone wants to post a picture for me I will email them the picture.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:43 AM   #9
g.willikers

Ditto on not messing with the barrel without a good reason.
It's an expensive proposition to change one.
They require fitting and are easy to mess up.
If they don't fit perfectly, the slide and frame can suffer.
In other words, it can be a way to ruin a good gun.

As for the full length guide rod, there's a couple in my parts box.
Never saw any advantage to using one and as said, just makes it harder to field strip the gun.
Hope this helps you save money for something important, like ammo and range time.