The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 28, 2009, 11:27 AM   #1
fasdraw

WWII rifle

Hi,

I have a WWII rifle made in 1943 that I'm trying to get more info on.
Some of the facts I have are as follows;

Model # M24/27, Cal. 7.92, Manufacture Zastava.

There is a stamping on top of the chamber that looks like flames in the center with the numbers 29/1943. On both sides there are what looks like wings. Where the wings meet at the top there is a star.

I am interested in knowing what ammo to use and the country of origine.

Thanks
Old April 28, 2009, 12:00 PM   #2
Scorch

Your Model 24/47 was made in Yugoslavia (now Serbia) at the Red Flag (Zastava) armory. The crest on the receiver is a wreath of laurels with grain sheafs and the red Communist star. 1943 refers to the founding of Marshal Tito's government.

Your rifle is chambered in 7.92X57mm, aka 8X57mm, aka 8mm Mauser. Ammo is very common, and surplus and commercial ammunition are available. Surplus ammo is generally corrosive, so you would need to clean the bore after firing with soap and water (Windex, hot water, or any one of a dozen other favorite brews) and oil well to prevent rust and corrosion.

Wipe the wood down with Scotts Liquid Gold, and after several cleanings it will actually look like wood.

Last edited by Scorch; April 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old April 28, 2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Zastava is in Yugoslavia.
The M24 series was the Yugoslavian infantry rifle before, during, and after WWII. You probably have a 24/47, I cannot find reference to a 24/27.
Marstar discusses them at:
http://www.marstar.ca/yugo-M1.htm

Caliber is 7.92x57, commonly known as 8mm Mauser.
Old April 28, 2009, 12:41 PM   #4
fasdraw

I read the Model number wrong, it's an M24/47

Also there are Russian leters and numbers on the left side which read
PENY3ERE 44.

The rifle still has the cosmoline all over, what is the best way to clean this off?

Thanks for the info so far.
Old April 28, 2009, 01:09 PM   #5
jsmaye

Quote:
The rifle still has the cosmoline all over, what is the best way to clean this off?
The cosmoline is not only all over it, but all in it as well. The rifle was dipped into it as a liquid, so the cosmoline not only soaks several millimeters into the wood, but in every nook and cranny, all through the bolt, sights, up under and behind every piece. Cosmoline removal is an art and science with military surplus collectors, and everyone has their favorite concoction or method. It really depends on how far you're willing to go and what you intend to do with the rifle. You can start with a simple wipe-down of the rifle's external with mineral spirits and rags. This will clean it up nicely, but won't get it out of all the little places it's gotten. Cosmoline melts at a pretty low temperature, around 140 degrees, so people have constructed "ovens" out of garbage cans and incandescent bulbs to melt it out; some just place it in their kitchen ovens with the temperature dialed down as low as possible; some put them in black plastic bags and let the sun do the work. You'll hear of people using hot water or the dishwasher, but that's generally discouraged due to possible damage to the rifle or dishwasher. Some will go go with pretty aggressive chemicals such as degreasers and hydroxide-based oven cleaning products, again balancing speed and ease against potential damage.

My way is to wipe the rifle down with mineral spirits, dis-assemble it entirely, place the pieces and parts in a tub of mineral spirits, and just clean them part by part with rags and an old toothbrush. The stock is different - depending on whether I'm going to re-finish or restore it, I'll just wipe down with mineral spirits until most of the cosmoline is out, or I'll strip and sand until the wood is where I want it to be, taking care not to round any edges or remove any stamps or cartouches.
Old April 28, 2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
Zastava is in Yugoslavia
Technically, Yugoslavia no longer exists, it was dissolved in 1991. It is now officially Serbia-Montenegro (they call themselves the Republic of Yugoslavia, but are not officially recognized as such), Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Slovenia, Macedonia, and Kosovo.
Old April 28, 2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Jim Watson

PENY3ERE 44 is rendered in the Roman alphabet we use as Preduzece 44.
That is the facility at Kragujevic, Yugoslavia where the Zastava rifles were built.
Old April 28, 2009, 05:43 PM   #8
fasdraw

Thank you all for your help and info. I learned a lot about the rifle and how to clean up the cosmoline. I am looking forward to taking it a part and cleaning every part, that's fun to me. I love to refinish the wood on these old rifles, they have interesting wood grain.

Again Thanks