The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 3, 2007, 07:44 AM   #1
zenner22

Beretta Stampede ?

I've been thinking of getting a Colt SAA clone for a long time now. Not being able to afford the genuine article, I've been waiting for a deal I couldn't refuse. In the latest CDNN catalog they have Beretta Stampedes in 45LC for $389 for standard finish and $399 for the deluxe charcoal blue finish. I don't care for that light, bright blue of the charcoal blue, althought that is a heck of a deal.

The Beretta Stampedes seem to be generally liked from what I can find out. I know they have a transfer bar safety, does that mean there is no firing pin on the hammer? And I believe the case color hardening is also fake, am I right about that?

Other than that they look and function just like the original Colts, right? Also having a hard time deciding on 4.75 or 5.5 inch barrel. I'll be using it mainly for range use since there aren't any cowboy matches in my area, but I'm curious as to what barrel length most of the cowboy shooters use?
Old November 3, 2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Hawg

No firing pin on hammer. Case colors are phony as are most clones. For range use I'd prefer the longer sight radius of the 5 1/2 but it's really whatever floats your boat. As to what CAS shooters use most, if I had to hazard a guess it'd be 5 1/2. You'll see everything at a CAS match from 3 1/2 up to 7 1/2 and bp guns with 8. but the 4 3/4 and 5 1/2 are the top two. I've got two Ubertis, one imported by Cimarron and the other a Cattleman imported by Stoeger. I like the Cimy best, better CCH and lettering roll stamped in the same size and style of the originals. Ubertis still have a firing pin on the hammer but the newer ones have a hammer block safety that's not noticable. Don't know how good it is but they have it.
Old November 3, 2007, 10:02 AM   #3
CraigC

As Mr. Haggen posted, the case colors are fake and the firing pin is in the frame. They are good guns and an excellent value but if I'm going for a SAA replica, I'd rather skip the transfer bar for something more authentic. For the Italian replicas regular Uberti's and Cimarrons are more to my liking.

That "charcoal blue" finish isn't really. It's a nitre blue, somehow intended to replicate traditional carbona bluing at a lower cost. It's a delicate finish, not as durable as modern hot bluing and is typically used on screws and small parts for some added flash. Carbona bluing is an expensive and labor intensive process but it is also the most durable. It's a beautiful finish with just a slight blue hue. Nothing like what they're trying to pass off now as "charcoal blue". Carbona bluing is how the USFA Pre-War guns are finished along with their bone charcoal case hardened frames, gates and hammers.
Old November 4, 2007, 05:03 PM   #4
bobn

i have personally owned colt cowboys, rugers, ubertis, awas, and stampedes. notice the s meaning plurals like as in more than one of each. without a doubt the stampedes are my favorites. thats after balancing accuraccy, contruction, function, sturdyness, lively feel etc. bobn

Last edited by bobn; November 4, 2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling