The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 21, 2015, 06:01 PM   #1
DMY

Looking for 5" S&W 625 holster

I am trying to find a RH strong-side draw holster made for a late-1980s S&W model 625 with a 5" full lug barrel (I believe it is a 625-3). It is a stock revolver with a ramped front sight. I believe this is a fairly popular handgun, but I have searched for a week or so and can't find a relatively basic OWB holster with or without a thumb break safety strap. I was hoping to get something for under $75.00. Leather is nice, but I don't really want to go through a break-in period where my pants come up to me chest when drawing the gun. Nylon is okay. I don't think I can find Kydek for this price and I don't need a racegun-type holster.

I plan to use it for occasional informal handgun matches and just toting it around in the field.

Some of the LGS employees suggested using a N-frame holster for a 6" barrel, but I have to believe someone makes one specifically for a 5" model 625. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 21, 2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Doyle

I would 2nd the suggestion for a 629 5" holster - except that those are pretty few and far between. For a 629 5", the info I have is:

Bianchi #5BHL - size 9
Bianchi #111 , size 8
Galco DAO128
Galco GAL-PHX124
Hunter Surefit, size 4

I keep this info in one of my files because I've been looking for an inexpensive used holster for my 629 5".
Old September 23, 2015, 03:48 AM   #3
LeftyHolsters

Hi Doyle and DMY - I think I can help you out. Drop me a PM.

Cheers!
-Lefty
Old September 23, 2015, 06:44 PM   #4
DMY

Leftyholsters:
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I am a total rookie at TFL, having joined this month. I presume "PM" stands for personal message or something to that effect. However, I don't know how to do that.
Perhaps I am "assuming" too much, but could it be that Leftyholsters is your company which makes holsters which are for left handed shooters or otherwise difficult-to-find holsters? If you can send me a website page or email address, it would be helpful. Thanks again.
Old October 11, 2015, 09:12 PM   #5
bamabiker

DMY, to send a PM (private message) just click on the members name.
Old December 6, 2015, 11:09 AM   #6
DMY

follow up / found one

If any future readers are searching, I found a very nice holster for my 5" S&W M-625-2, although the vendors made it a little difficult. The holster is a Safariland 567/568 which is molded, suede-lined leather. It came with an inter-changeable paddle and belt loop attachment which will fit a 1.5" or 1.75" belt. It has 3 screws to adjust the retention. The only "downside" is that the cylinder molding appears to be a little longer than the .45 ACP cylinder (will probably fit a .44 mag or .45 Long Colt).
It was on sale at MidwayUSA for $42., but it had to be backordered. I received it about 2 weeks after ordering. Very nice looking and well made holster.
The difficult part was that (1) Safariland does not list this holster as fitting a 5" M-625 and (2) Midway does not exactly list this holster as fitting the gun. I even called Safariland and they said the website is correct. Reading 2 of the 3 reviews, the purchasers used this holster for their 625s, so I thought they can't be wrong. The listing is for a generic 5" N-Frame. If you are looking for a holster for your 5" M-625, this one appears to be a great bargain for the money.
Old December 30, 2015, 08:49 PM   #7
Black_Sheep

I couldn't find one either, so I made one...