The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2002, 03:27 AM   #1
sjones

mec adjustable charge bar

I am very new to shotshell reloading and would like to know how to use one on a mec sizemaster that I just bought used or where I can get the informatiom. thanks. sj
Old November 25, 2002, 08:14 AM   #2
HSMITH

Just crank it in or out to change the size of the hole that shot or powder drops into. Take it out of the press and have a look at it, that is all you need. Write down the settings you have found to be perfect with your reloading scale by reading the scales on the bar like a micrometer.

EDIT: Thinking about it a little I think I still have the boxes my adjustable charge bars came in. If they came with directions I still have them in the box, but in all honesty I never looked. If you want the directions after looking at the charge bar holler and I can scan/email them to you.
Old November 25, 2002, 09:50 AM   #3
sjones

charge bar

HSSmith,thanks. I would appreciate it if its not too much trouble for you . sj
Old November 25, 2002, 04:15 PM   #4
JackM

You can get the on-line manual right from the horse's mouth.
http://chrony.ca/multi-scale/index.mv

Couple of points. Loosen those tiny hex socket set screws before you turn the adjusting knobs. I got my bar before I got my bifocals.

They don't meter small charges of 800-X uniformly. Bigger charges of finer grained powder meter well.

The charts only get you close. Double check with a good powder scale, ALWAYS.

Bye
Jack
Old November 25, 2002, 08:08 PM   #5
sjones

Jack M. Thanks a lot. I got a lot of information off those sheets. I appreciate it. I have loaded thousands of pistol bullets,but this seems a lot more complicated than reloading 45 acp. sj
Old November 25, 2002, 09:18 PM   #6
JackM

Naw. It's different, thats all. You've only got one more componet, the wad. The Sizemaster is a fine press. I loaded 12 and 20 gauge on mine for years. I got a deal on a 12 gauge Grabber two years ago, and the Sizemaster stays a 20 now. The Grabber was missing a few pieces, and the folks at MEC fixing me up fast.

Grab a copy of the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 4th Edition and download some data from the Alliant & IMR sites and you're set. Now I'd better get at that box of .45 ACP cases.

Bye
Jack