The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 23, 2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Joeteck

Is there a Suffolk County Bulls-eye competition range?

On December 10th, I went upstate to go hunting (Burlington Flats). My yearly get-away for some R & R. On Saturday night we went to the Burlington Flats fish and game club to fire off a few rounds of a colt 45. When we got there the team was just about to practice. Targets were SLOW, RAPID and TIMED. My buddy and I decided to watch instead of missing the paper with his 45. But then we were immediately invited to join in and participate in the practice. Not knowing anything about the procedures; they were eager to teach us what we needed to know in 20 minutes. Needless to say, I had a blast! I was able to record my buddy while he shot is colt 45, and then another member asked me if I wanted to shoot one of his guns, of course I said YES! He then said, " What do you want to shoot? " How about the 9mm? He said sure. I propped up my DROID to record me shooting a .22 However, below are pictures of my targets.... of that 9mm.

I'm in the process in acquiring my Suffolk County pistol permit for doing the Bulls-eye competition and for hunting. Is there anything around or is all upstate only?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slow-fire-5 shots.jpg (242.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg RAPID-FIRE-1.jpg (242.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg TIMED-10 shots-1.jpg (242.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Joeteck; December 23, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old December 25, 2010, 03:33 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...they were eager to..." Hi. Shooters are just like that. Most shooters, of any discipline, will bend over backwards to help a new shooter, including letting you shoot their firearms. Happens at CMP matches too.
Join a local shooting club and you'll find the same thing applies. Joining a local club will open other doors too. Invites to hunt locally, etc.
Contact the NRA if you can't find a local club. Or ask at your local gun shop.
"...Targets were..." Bullseye shooting. Do it. It'll make you a better shooter. Competitive bullseye shooting is great fun too. Just don't worry about placing.
Old December 25, 2010, 07:48 AM   #3
4EVERM-14

I don't know about your area but try this link.
http://www.njpistol.com/
Shooters there can direct you to leagues and matches.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old December 26, 2010, 04:53 PM   #4
darkgael

Suffolk

Get a subscirption - online and free - to the NRA publication "Shooting Sports". At the rear, every month, is a list of every registered match in every shooting discipline in the country.
Roslyn Rifle and Pistol in Westbury holds the regional Championships for indoor .22 in late Winter, early Spring.
There used to be a 2700 held every month at the Peconic River Sportsmans Club....not sure that they do that anymore.
Pete
Old January 6, 2011, 08:55 PM   #5
buttstock

Bullseye shooting info

Congrats on taking the time to shoot some bullseye competition. I hope you continue your shooting, and try to get classified. You can hardly get into bullseye shooting without crossing paths with this link.
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/index.htm

There's a great deal of information here. Read it. Then read it again in a few months to learn what you missed earlier. It's a sign of growth. Focus on trigger control. It's a wonderful sport.

Good luck.