The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2013, 07:31 AM   #1
DDDavis

Reloading for a Savage 225

I have a rare Savage rifle only made by Savage for a couple of years back in the 60's. Model is 340V, no serial numbers were used then.
I have saved all my brass over the years and actually was able to purchase some new brass.
I have contacted some local reloaders who directed me to the dies required to reload.
Now I need to source powder, bullets and primers.
I have been searching for information pertaining to this specific rifle but have found none.
Several sources contradict which powder to use for differnt calibers.
Does anyone have experience or recommendations on the powder, bullets and primers?
Currently I have to special order Winchester 225 ammo which is 55 grain soft points.
Thanks in advance,
David
Old January 24, 2013, 11:10 AM   #2
603Country

Get a Lyman 49th reloading book and read it carefully. And a few other reloading books to read are in order too. The books will tell you how the reloading is done and what equipment you need. And ask us questions if you have them on down the road. The Lyman book will give you powder suggestions for the bullets listed, and will show the primers used. I think Winchester still offers the cases.

Go at this reloading biz slowly and carefully. It isn't rocket science, but don't cut any corners. You can get hurt. Wear safety glasses.

In theory this is a way to save money on ammo, but....the money you save goes to more gear and more components. I've been doing this for 30ish years and I'm not sure if I have saved any money at all. I doubt it. I have a lot of gear though. And I have a lot of fun.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:34 AM   #3
P.A. Dutchman

I own a Savage 340V in a 225 Win. and reload for it. I also have about 10 boxes of new Winchester 55 grain ammo, but it does not really like it very much. I'll just keep the new ammo until someday when I might need the brass. There is plenty of loading data on the internet. I use IMR3031 powder and a 52 grain match hollow point with CCI primers in mine.