The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 27, 2000, 10:32 PM   #1
Gary H

My father is in his seventies and is interested in purchasing a shotgun with an 18" barrel. He has always been of tall, slight build. Any suggestions? My 12 guage 870 is a bit much for him and I'm not aware of short barreled shotguns of other guages. The other option would be to find very lightly loaded 12 guage ammunition which would be appropriate as a defensive load.
Old May 27, 2000, 11:32 PM   #2
1911Ford

How about a Youth Model 20 gauge? Remington has them and I think that they come with a 21" barrel.
Old May 28, 2000, 01:27 AM   #3
Phillip

There's also the Mossberg .410 with a vertical fore end grip and muzzle break. I forgot the model name, and I don't even know if it is still being made. It was introduced a few years back, and may be worth looking at. Hope you find something that suits him.
Old May 28, 2000, 04:25 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

How familiar with shotguns is your Dad,Gary?
If he's a tyro, I'm not sure the shotgun is the best choice for him.

OTOH, if he's knowledgeable and capable, something like the 20 ga 870 with the deer bbl or that 21" Youth bbl should work fine. Or, the 20 ga 1100 for less recoil

As for the 410,it may be enough. But I'm not too crazy about betting my family's defense on a maybe.
Old May 28, 2000, 08:32 AM   #5
Gary H

He used a shotgun, in the military, many years ago (WWII). So, I would say that he is inexperienced. He just shot my Sig Pro in .40 and liked it. So he now has the Sig Pro. I noticed that he wasn't as steady as he might have been, but he picked up the basics quickly. I thought that a long gun might be more comfortable. The idea would be to locate a shotgun and then he would practice with both and decide where one, or both would be appropriate. He took a couple of Ayoob books and will be signing up for a local firearms course. He would keep a gun in the house and in his RV. I find it interesting that prior to the BILLION MOMS, he was rather anti-gun. So, it really surprises me that he has an interest. My mom was even more anti-gun, but she really hates Wosie. She told me that she was going to join the NRA in protest.
Old May 28, 2000, 09:33 AM   #6
old hawk

id gettem a coach gun with 20 inch tubes or a ithaca 37. the older j.c.higgins built by high standard were the smoothest pumps available at one time ,fast to cycle and less effort.best part is they had nice walnut and are only about 125 $$ or so and i had 2 i used for deer/home defense cut to 20" in 12ga. that were usually getting taken out moreso than the 97 winch or ithaca 37.

[This message has been edited by old hawk (edited May 28, 2000).]
Old May 28, 2000, 11:41 AM   #7
Glamdring

I would suggest a mini 14 or AR for various reasons: low recoil, better sights, easier to use than shotguns, cheaper combat grade ammo, etc.

If you insist on a shotgun a 20 gauge auto makes more sense IMO. Or a single trigger double [kiss principal]

My grandfather went to a 20 gauge auto for deer hunting a few years ago when he hit the 70 marker.

Just remember auto guns are like auto tranny's easier & fewer problems for typical user.

If an AR or Mini has a malf it is a lot easier to clear than a double feed on a shotgun. With practice you can clear any malf on an auto almost as fast as you could load a revolver with a speedloader. Double feed with a pump and your down to a club!
Old May 28, 2000, 08:39 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

Winchester makes a 20 gauge 1300.

You could try Federal Tactical Buckshot
from ammoman.com. It's mild - I took a class
with this stuff and liked it.

But I like the other long gun solutions.
The Mini-14 but also there are Ruger's 40
SW and 9mm carbine.
Old May 28, 2000, 08:51 PM   #9
Gary H

California and new purchases of evil rifles are out. I just sold my Bushmaster AK Shorty. The Carbon 15 would be perfect, but that is my favorite gun. In California son can still give father a gun without the waiting period, but I don't think that an AR15 can pass hands..period.
Old May 29, 2000, 02:11 AM   #10
taco

Try Federal Tactical Shotgun load. They have low recoil and patters very well in my Remington 870. My little sister keeps a cheap 12G SxS loaded with this ammo (#4 Buckshot) and she can usually handle about 20 rounds during practice before she gets tired of recoil.
Old May 29, 2000, 06:07 AM   #11
Hal

Another possibility:
Winchester Trapper in .44mag/.44sp.
10 rounds of 200 grain silver tips is a pretty convincing argument. Recoil is a little more than a .22. Noise is lots less than a shotgun or a handgun.
If it runs dry, it's a pretty decent club too.
Old May 29, 2000, 12:06 PM   #12
Gary H

Thanks for all of your responses. It looks like the Winchester Lady Defender (20 gauge, 18", 8 round) and the Mossberg 500 Persuader ( 20 gauge, 18.5", 6 round) are the most available choices. I have always heard that the Mossberg was a bit better quality than the Winchester, but then again the Winchester has a greater magazine capacity and Suarez uses a 1300 for home defense and he should know something about this topic. Any strong feelings one way or the other?