The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 24, 2013, 11:09 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

My wife needs a CCW.

She recently passed the course and is waiting on the license.

She's not really a "gun person" so I want to keep it simple for her.

It needs to be fairly compact for when she'd carry it in her purse.

I'm looking at the Ruger SP101, bobbed hammer, 357 mag. The cylinder is smaller diameter (five shot), and I've got brass in that caliber for reloading for practice.

Opinions?
Old April 24, 2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Madcap_Magician

Need to figure out if she's actually going to carry it.

Easiest way to find out is to ask her to try a bunch of different guns. If she's up for that, she's interested enough to pick one herself.

If she's not interested enough to try several guns and pick one herself, then she probably will never carry.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Have her do some reading at The Cornerred Cat. She can go and handle some guns, and then pick it out herself. If she doesn't like it, she won't carry it.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:24 AM   #4
couldbeanyone

If your wife is going to carry in her purse, have her carry a couple of extra pounds around the mall in her purse before you get a Ruger SP-101. If my wifes purse gun weighs over about 15 ounces, she is not a happy camper.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Poindexter

Two things, one it is great that you reload so you can taylor a load to her recoil tolerance.

If she doesn't mind toting a .357 you'll have plenty of room to strengthen the load to her growing tolerance.

Also, the one about if it is too heavy (she) won't carry it goes for men too. I carried a Redhawk everyday (it was my only handgun at the time) for about eight months. As soon as I had the cash I bought something lighter for every day carry.

Worst case, you have to buy a die set in probably 9mm, find some range pickup brass and start stocking a new bullet diameter.

I wonder if there is a revolver with both a 9mm and a .357 cylinder...hmmmm.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
it is great that you reload so you can taylor a load to her recoil tolerance
Actually, the reloads would be for her to practice.

I'm thinking factory +P 38s for carry.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7
twobit

Look at the Ruger LCR's. My wife changed from 10 years with a semi-auto .380 to a LCR a year ago and loves it.

+1 on the Cornered Cat book / website
+1 on HER picking out the gun.
+1 on the 101 being a good gun but a HEAVY gun
Old April 24, 2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

If recoil is an issue, there are also some .38 reduced recoil loads. I'm not sure how many companies make them, but I do know that Federal does.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:49 PM   #9
shouldazagged

A firearms instructor once asked a woman friend of mine, "Will you have your purse on your shoulder or in your hand all the time?" Important question, I think. Women do need to set their purses down to do some things, and purses also can be snatched while being carried. Then a thief has the purse and a nice handgun.

She may insist on purse carry, in which case I hope it's a purse designed to give her easy access to the gun. But there are alternatives, and I hope she can be encouraged to look at some of them.
Old April 24, 2013, 02:22 PM   #10
zincwarrior

Quote:
Need to figure out if she's actually going to carry it.

Easiest way to find out is to ask her to try a bunch of different guns. If she's up for that, she's interested enough to pick one herself.

If she's not interested enough to try several guns and pick one herself, then she probably will never carry.
Agreed.
1. Take her to a range where you can rent firearms.
2. Go to your FLGS with a good selection or gun show. Have her try a bunch of them-grip, trigger pull, sights etc. AFTER she's shot some at #1.
3. Take your time. Come back if you need to.
4. LET HER PICK. Keep you steenking brain cells away from pressuring her. That includes type, caliber. Your input should only be to steer her gently away from less than stellarly made pistols and answer questions. TO RESTATE ITS HER PISTOL NOT YOURS.
5. If purse carry, there are a variety of purses specializing in this, with size from tiny to "I can carry a MA DEUCE IN THIS PUPPY AND DO!"
6. Also, things change. As they get more comfortable or exposed to other firearms they may change as well. My wife moved from a single column Bersa .380 over time to a nice double column Beretta Storm 9mm. Inversely our daughter won't shoot anything less than my old FS92 now (can't CHL at 14 though...).
Old April 24, 2013, 03:18 PM   #11
Sevens

One item that occurs to me right away is that if she is NOT a gun person, her hand strength and ability to pull through a full double action pull must be considered. I would absolutely be putting some unloaded double action revolvers in her hand before buying ANYTHING, and obviously, an SP-101 that is fresh out of the box would be the best thing to try.

These guns, especially when new, are notorious for having a very heavy double action trigger pull. For anyone who is a handgun shooter or enthusiast, it simply feels a bit heavy and "less than ideal." However, for folks who may have less hand strength, or smaller hands, and especially for those who have NEVER done much with handguns, that double action pull becomes much more than "less than ideal." Depending on the person, she simply may not be able to do it reliably.
Old April 24, 2013, 04:40 PM   #12
tulsamal

Quote:
Look at the Ruger LCR's.
Agreed... if you want a Ruger revolver for a carry gun, that's the way to go.

Gregg
Old April 25, 2013, 12:09 AM   #13
ClydeFrog

My 2 bits...

The "what should my ___ carry" topics come up often.
For a "non gun carrying" loved one or spouse, Id suggest a simple robust 5/6 shot snub in .38spl +P with maybe a CT lasergrip or Lasermax red laser add-on.

As posted a new Ruger LCR or maybe a no-lawyer lock format J frame S&W .38spl revolver like a 442/642 or a 638(shrouded hammer) can do very well.
The Blackhawk SERPA fits J frame S&Ws and it's easy to convert(paddle, strong side; FBI cant, crossdraw, etc).

The DeSantis Nemnesis pocket holster is popular. See; www.NatchezSS.com .
For rounds, see; www.shopcorbon.com www.BuffaloBore.com www.sgammo.com www.grafs.com www.cabelas.com www.ammotogo.com .
Only have her use factory made high quality loads for protection. No hand loads or reloads.

I would get the Speer Gold Dot 135gr JHP +P, the DPX, the Buffalo Bore 158gr lead SWC-HP +P, the Ranger T .38spl load, the Glaser Silver Safety Slug or MagSafe SWAT.
Make sure she knows & understands the related gun/use of lethal force laws too. www.nra.org www.mylegalheat.com www.gunguide.com www.handgunlaw.us .

CF
Old April 25, 2013, 12:48 PM   #14
glenncal1

dont overlook the .32s for your wife if she is recoil sensitive, .32H&R and .327mag are good rounds and won't pound her. You can get (if ammo ever becomes available again) .32long for practice.

Many K and N Frames
Old April 26, 2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Chesster

Whatever she is comfortable with but I've found most women can handle and like the older Smith 37 with rubber grips and Nyclad ammo. Light and easy to shoot.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!