The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 6, 2015, 09:03 PM   #1
osbornk

Shocking Customer Service

I bought a little Phoenix HP-22A semi-automatic pistol in 2012. At $149 MSRP, it was the cheapest new semi-automatic I could find and it has a lifetime warranty. I shot several thousand rounds through it. I looked at it closely Friday before last and saw a crack in the slide. The CS department wasn’t open until the following Monday. I called them around noon (they opened at 9:00AM PST). I was on hold for about 2 or 3 minutes before a nice lady answered and I told her the problem. She asked for the serial number and immediately told me to mail the slide to them in California with the serial number and my contact information. The packaging and postage totaled $4.33 and it arrived in California on Wednesday night. My new fully assembled slide arrived in the mail today with 3 extra slide springs. The gun shoots like it did when new.

I think a one week turnaround from California on such a cheap gun is simply amazing considering there was a July 4th. holiday included.
Old July 6, 2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Will-j

Sometimes, it's the smaller companies who give the best customer service.

WILL.
THE WINDS OF CHANGE ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.
Old July 7, 2015, 02:21 AM   #3
mellow_c

That's great. I'm glad to hear about their CS. I've considered buying one of these little guys, but the over load of safety features has deterred me. Who knows, maybe I'll give it a go down the road considering the lifetime warranty. That is if .22lr ever goes back down to less that 10 cents a shot!!!!
Old July 7, 2015, 05:45 AM   #4
Snyper

Quote:
Who knows, maybe I'll give it a go down the road considering the lifetime warranty.
I once bought a camper shell for my pickup truck based on the fact it had a lifetime warranty.

When it started leaking around the windows, the company no longer existed.

"Lifetime warranty" means very little.
Old July 7, 2015, 07:38 AM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty" means very little.
Lifetime warranty means different things to different companies, as well. I once upon a time had a AT&T Paradyne phone modem with a "lifetime warranty". In this case it meant, "until the company decided to stop supporting it."
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 7, 2015, 09:36 AM   #6
osbornk

Quote:
That's great. I'm glad to hear about their CS. I've considered buying one of these little guys, but the over load of safety features has deterred me. Who knows, maybe I'll give it a go down the road considering the lifetime warranty. That is if .22lr ever goes back down to less that 10 cents a shot!!!!
The overload of safety features can be addressed in a matter of minutes. The only aggravating safety is the magazine safety. I simply took off the left grip cover and bent a little strip a little bit and it was gone. I bent it back and reactivated when I thought I might have to send in the entire gun. Gotta go back and................................
Old July 7, 2015, 10:05 AM   #7
dyl

I shot one of those, didn't know if it was older or newer. I thought they had been around quite a while but outlived Raven, Rohm etc.

It shot. Occasional misfeeds since not oiled. I had to try hard not to get slide bite. But it shot, and I was hitting a 24 inch torso at 25 Yards. (don't know where and the spread though).

Glad they have good customer service. Sounds like a fun time. Also makes me think it must be *very* inexpensive to make to afford to send out another. Makes me want to test out my NAA mini revolver again, can't shoot a barn past 3 yards with it.
Old July 7, 2015, 09:35 PM   #8
osbornk

Quote:
I shot one of those, didn't know if it was older or newer. I thought they had been around quite a while but outlived Raven, Rohm etc.

It shot. Occasional misfeeds since not oiled. I had to try hard not to get slide bite. But it shot, and I was hitting a 24 inch torso at 25 Yards. (don't know where and the spread though).

Glad they have good customer service. Sounds like a fun time. Also makes me think it must be *very* inexpensive to make to afford to send out another. Makes me want to test out my NAA mini revolver again, can't shoot a barn past 3 yards with it.
It's surprisingly accurate for such a little gun. It almost never malfunctions as long as it is kept cleaned and oiled. With the 3" barrel, it is about the size of my TCP but twice as heavy. I am much more accurate with it than I am with the TCP. I have shoot it a lot for practice as it is more affordable to shoot. The only downside is that it doesn't have last shot hold open so I have to count the shots so I don't dry fire it. I bought a 5" barrel but the increase in accuracy was minor and it was a waste of money.

I probably will shoot the gun less now. After I found the crack but before I called CS, I bought a Ruger 22/45 Mark III Target. It's shockingly accurate and has a bolt rather than a slide. It's a rifle without a stock.
Old July 8, 2015, 03:28 AM   #9
Carmady

A couple years ago I was looking into .22 autos and was impressed with all the positive comments on Phoenix Arms' CS.

IIRC, the slide crack issues were usually the result of using hotter than standard velocity ammo. That's specified in owner's manual, but they still fixed the guns.
Old July 8, 2015, 11:58 PM   #10
FlySubCompact

The slide broke on my (well used, kind of abused) Phoenix target version. It was maybe 7 years old? Thing is, it was cracked, but still functioned perfectly. Only discovered the crack during one of it's rare cleanings.
Called Phoenix, described the problem. They replaced it.

I like the pistol. Eats most of what I feed it, is accurate and only needs a bath every so often.
Old July 9, 2015, 12:09 AM   #11
Old_Dog

I would be shocked if my gun had a crack in the slide after a few thousand rounds and no amount of freebies would make me trust that gun again. It is sort of like those who praise the manufacturer for a quick turnaround for a repair on a new gun. All I see is a new gun that should not need repairs at all.
Old July 9, 2015, 02:35 AM   #12
chris in va

Similar to the old HiPoint carbine I had. Kept breaking and they sent me a nearly new gun every time. I just got tired of it breaking.
Old July 9, 2015, 03:03 AM   #13
745SW

Lifetime could mean the normally durable life of 3-5 years or the life of the company. Many wouldn't complain and will just toss/junk the product especially when it's inexpensive.
Old July 9, 2015, 09:32 PM   #14
osbornk

Quote:
I would be shocked if my gun had a crack in the slide after a few thousand rounds and no amount of freebies would make me trust that gun again. It is sort of like those who praise the manufacturer for a quick turnaround for a repair on a new gun. All I see is a new gun that should not need repairs at all.
You don't buy a $150 gun for SD. You buy it to plink and practice with so trust is not an issue. I don't know how long I shot it before I noticed the crack. It has fit the role I bought it for perfectly and it will continue to do so.

Also, everyone expects a new gun to not need repairs but regardless of what gun you buy or how expensive it is, there is sometimes a need to have it repaired and quick is good.
Old July 10, 2015, 01:41 AM   #15
Snyper

Quote:
You don't buy a $150 gun for SD. You buy it to plink and practice with so trust is not an issue.
I gave up on cheap guns about 40 years ago and have had no regrets since
Old July 10, 2015, 08:30 PM   #16
vkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl
Phoenix Arms literally rose from the ashes of the Raven Arms factory fire in 1991. The HP22 and HP25 are a much-improved redesign of the Raven Arms MP-25 with higher quality metal.