The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Overscore

What else could be causing my tumbling?

I'm trying to figure out what other things I can try to debug a tumbling issue. I've heard the common culprits are too heavy a load or too much crimp. I'm loading 9mm, and my crimp is set to basically just take out the bell, returning it to a straight wall case. It measured at .376, but I upped it to .378 to give that a test run. No noticeable difference in the percentage that tumbled.

I did notice a significant drop in tumbling (67% vs. 30%) when dropping from 4.4 grains to 4.2 grains of Alliant Power Pistol. Oddly, I fire a friend's rounds whose specs I'm mirroring, and all of his 4.4 grain rounds fire just fine out of my gun. I also ran tests out of both of my 9mm, and the results were the same with each gun.

What other things should I look into? My next things to look at/verify:
  • Accuracy of my scale (RCBS 505)
  • Consistency of my powder dispenser (Dillon XL650)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old May 20, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2
g.willikers

Bullet diameter?
Maybe a slightly larger bullet would help.
Have you checked your friends loads to see if he's using larger diameter ones?
Sometimes, just using bullets .001 larger in diameter works to cure tumbling.
Especially with lead bullets, but also with others.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Overscore

Yes, good idea. We actually order our bullets from the same place, and often even split orders, but it's quite possible that we're not loading out of the same batch since we're each sitting on lots of different batches.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

G. Willikers beat me to it.

Powder charge itself is not directly responsible. Many handgun barrels have rifling that has a fast enough twist that the bullets are actually overstablized by rifle shooting standards. Spinning extra fast should make them hard to tumble, but it also makes them very sensitive to wobble, which is eccentric spin due to the bullet mass distribution about the axis of rotation being uneven. In other words, if the bullet is badly unbalanced, that can cause tumbling via the jump from barrel centered rotation to mass centered rotation when it clears the muzzle, and then from subsequent wobble in flight.

One thing I know will cause imbalance is a bullet being too small to fill the bore. That can cause the rifling to engage more on one side of the barrel than the other, and that causes imbalance that causes wobble that causes tumbling. If you have such an undersized bullet, then increasing powder charge can raise pressure enough to upset the bullet diameter out into the bore, curing the imbalance (or at least partly so in your case).

So, the first question is what kind of bullet are you using, what is its diameter and how does that compare to your friend's bullets? Are you crimping in a way he is not, such as using a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die with thicker-than-normal brass that forces the crimp ring on the Lee die to resize the bullet narrower underneath?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; May 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old May 20, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Overscore

Sounds like I have some more measuring to do. If I find inconsistencies in the bullets, I'll see if I can deliberately load a batch of tumblers.
Old May 21, 2013, 06:54 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

Try a different bullet.

(If loading 115--125g try 5.2g OAL 1.120--1.155")
Old May 21, 2013, 04:28 PM   #7
serf 'rett

What bullet are you using and where did you get your load data?

Every reference I have indicates 4.4 grains of Power Pistol is below the starting load of all 9mm bullets except the 147 grain lead bullet (one reference).
Old May 22, 2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Overscore

It came from some info from the bullet manufacturer and adjustments for the bullet type. It is indeed a 147gr lead bullet.

I'm thinking I might now just have a bad batch of bullets. I took 100 over to a friend's house who loads EXACTLY what I load, and then we each shot 50 this morning and both experienced some tumbling. All of his other boxes of ammo were just fine. Fortunately, by the time I finish all these different tests, I'll probably have finished the batch of bullets off anyway.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:55 AM   #9
glicerin

Have u slugged your barrel? Some are seriously oversize, causing tumbling and serious leading. My ruger P85 slugs .358-9. I load a home cast 121 gr rcbs sized .3575 with card wad, reasonable results, no more tumbling or leading.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:28 PM   #10
shastaboat

147 gr tumbling 9mm bullet.

I'd say check your barrel and use a Lewis lead remover to really get it clean. Then I would suggest loading to max loads. You need velocity to get 147 gr. bullet to stableize in a 9mm barrel depending on rifleing type and twist rate as well. You didn't say what type of weapon you are shooting but I've heard Glocks have problems stableizing 9mm cast bullets. I don't own a Glock but they make replacement barrels so you can shoot cast in them with accuracy. I also agree you need to slug your barrel and see what it measures.
Old May 23, 2013, 03:58 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

Clean your barrel very well. When you think you have it realy clean. Wait a day, then clean it again. After that oil it very well, then slug it. Your bullets need to be at least .001 over groove diameter if they are lead. Some guns do better with them .002 over bore diameter.

Also check your barrel to see if it looks like lead streaks start by the chamber, then follow the rifling to the end of the barrel. If so then the bullets are under sized. Many people use 125 grain cast bullets for the .38 Special/.357 Mag in 9mm to get the proper fit in oversized barrels.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:41 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

DANGER

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

The following is all very hypothetical, meant for discussion ONLY, and is all very dangerous in actual practice; NOT recommended, and bad.
Very bad.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

So, once upon a time, I load 147g lead (actual bullets --since I've used numerous brands-- have varied from a low of 145g up to lots weighing 147g) for numerous pistols of varied brand chambered in 9x19.

I load the 147g lead over 4.6g Power Pistol.
Or 4.9g Power Pistol.

Sized sorted case
CCI500
OAL minimum 1.115"

Know what I mean (theoretically)?

Last edited by Unclenick; May 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:42 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

no, really

And I still have a big box of Hornady 147g FMJ-FN on me shelf.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Weshoot2,

Thanks for including your warning, but in the future please also include the required wording to indemnify the board. It's in this sticky thread at the top of the forum. I've pasted it into your post here for you, here.

Overscore,

Do you not have a caliper or something you can check the OD's of those bullets with? Since your gun doesn't cause other bullets to tumble, I'm guessing this will tell the tale. You can do the thorough clean job, but if you can shoot other lead bullets fine, that's not the issue.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 26, 2013, 09:28 PM   #15
Overscore

As it turns out, it was initially just too much leading in the barrel. Then, not realizing this, i started messing with crimps and things and introduced a secondary cause. So, I made it hard on myself to figure it out! After giving barrel a good, liquid bath and scrubbing and reverting all specs to what I'd been using before, the tumbling was gone. Fortunately, just in time for an IDPA match, which was the goal.

Thanks y'all.