The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2014, 12:05 PM   #1
DocUSMCRetired

Just wanted to formally introduce myself.

Many of you may already know what we do, the systems we have, and the Library Bryan Litz has created. I am joining this forums in order to give you guys first hand support. If you have any questions, or need any help please feel free to ask. I have an email below, or you can simply reach out to me here. I will be trying to keep you guys up to date on what is going on, and in the loop with the latest news. Sometimes I might even throw out an early teaser like this. To see the up-coming library of custom ballistics curves, and the full list of bullets you will find in the new book Click Here. Keep in mind that is only a list of the custom curves, their are many more listed with factory data in the software.

If you guys ever need anything reach out to me, I am always happy to help. I look forward to our future discussions.
Old November 27, 2014, 05:51 AM   #2
Mike / Tx

First and foremost let me personally extend a dept of gratitude, from myself and my family, for your dedication and service to this country. It is, and will always, be deeply appreciated. Thank you !!

Now then, welcome to the forum. I hope that you will be around here for a while. There are some very accomplished shooters and hand loaders here who make up a real nice place to be. We might not always see eye to eye, but we keep things civil and can hold a nice discussion in most cases.

I have followed Brian on another forum, and swapped several detailed emails with him over the past several years. He has a knowledge base that he has shared unselfishly and has helped me through a couple of issues in my LR shooting.

Again, thank you for your service and welcome to the board.
Old November 27, 2014, 07:06 AM   #3
hooligan1

Welcome to this forum Doc, what kind of information would I glean from a fellar like yourself?
I know of Brian Litz......anyways welcome..
Old November 27, 2014, 08:40 AM   #4
higgite

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum, Doc. A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

What library of custom ballistic curves and new book are you referring to? Are the library and/or book free or only available for purchase? I take it from your profile here and on other forums that you are on Bryan Litz's staff? Can you fill us in on your personal credentials to be offering us advice on reloading? For instance, what calibers do you have reloading experience with and how much experience? Thanks again.
Old November 27, 2014, 08:54 AM   #5
kutz

Welcome, come on in.
Old November 27, 2014, 10:10 AM   #6
old roper

Welcome, Applied Ballistics is sponsoring on another site and Brian posting over their along with Eric Stecker. I'm also member over their.

Is Applied Ballistics moving to other sites?
NRA Life Member
Old November 27, 2014, 02:32 PM   #7
DocUSMCRetired

A couple of questions here so I will try to make sure I don't forget anything.

We are expanding to multiple forums in order to be reachable. So you don't have to come looking for us.

Advice wise, I will try my best to answer questions. The mods moved this to reloading, as they thought it was best here, and I can respect that as we are a ballistics company.

In regards to the custom drag curves it is a multi-step situation. The book which is currently avaliable for pre-order only can be found here. https://store.appliedballisticsllc.c...oductCode=0005 And is avaliable for sale. However the same rounds will also be updated in our system. Ab Mobile, AB Tactical, Profile Loader and Kestrel 4500 Applied Ballistics model, AB Analytics, etc... Here is the complete list http://appliedballisticsllc.com/Bull...Files/TOC3.pdf These do not cost anything on certain platforms, and cost 2$ on AB Mobile. But if you bought a custom curve previously then if it required an update its free. kind of complicated I know. Free on AB Tac, Profile Loader, Kestrel 4500 AB, AB Analytics. 2$ on AB Mobile unless previous bought (per curve), or the book, is the price listed in the store.

Now on the respect of answering questions. Very simply put I will answer to the best of my ability any question you ask. 1 of 3 things will happen. I will answer it myself. I will bring it up for discussion internally and provide you with the best answer we come up, or someone else (Bryan Litz for example) or I will simply tell you I don't know. Now I will admit when I am wrong, and I will admit when I don't know in order to not mislead you. (Something I learned to do well in the Marines).

Personal Credentials. I have spent my entire life hunting and reloading. Grew up in East Texas, hunting Texas as a young child. I first started reloading on a 30-30, and I have reloaded everything from Target to Competition rounds. Handgun through rifle. I am actively reloading for .9, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .38 SPCL, .44 Mag, .224, .30 (150 gr 30-30, .308, .30-06). To name some that I have experience in. In fact I am sitting here staring at some 5.56, 30-06, and 7.62 that is about to get thrown in the cleaner. I also have some .284 (7 Weatherby Mag) that I am about to put up for sale as that rifle was stolen.

I use 3 different presses. I have a precision re-loader that I use micrometer dies with. I have a re-loader I use for de-capping and case lubing. And I have a progressive press for those loads which don't need precision, like 45 acp target loads. So that I stay away from naming favorites I won't go in to details of who or what I use, but I have even used a hand re-loading kit that required a hammer and no press. I use an electronic scale that is accurate to .1 grains and I double check this every month using a very old balance scale with brass weights(calibrating weights). The scales actually talk to each other so its kind of neat. Have yet to have a bad measurement ever. I check my brass weights once a year using a jewelers scale that is accurate to .1g.

Last edited by DocUSMCRetired; November 27, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old November 27, 2014, 04:10 PM   #8
RC20

I don't see why you don't list your equipment, that's part of what this is all about.

We all do, throw in 2c worth and sometimes debate the merits. Helps us all learn
Old November 28, 2014, 02:55 PM   #9
DocUSMCRetired

@RC20 I had to make sure it was ok. I don't want to come off as favoring one company over another in a professional sense. However I will tell you guys what I use personally.

I use a Lyman Press to de-cap and lube. Then I use a Forster Press for the rest. I like having two presses set up for convenience. I have different dies for different applications. Most of the rifle dies I use are Forster. I prefer them to most anyone else, especially for the quality and precision of the ultra micrometer seater. I use the Redding Titanium Carbide Competition Pro die sets for handgun reloading. I have never had an issue with either.

For the powder scale I use a locally made scale from PACT. I have their dispenser with scale that talk to each other. I use a very old balance scale to check the accuracy and year and after year its flawless. The plus side for me, is supporting a local business, since they are made just outside of Dallas. Everything they make, is made right here in Texas. The scale and dispenser talk with each other, so its hands free accuracy.

As for progressive presses for handgun reloading, I use RCBS.
Old November 28, 2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Doc,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here to participate. You should introduce yourself in the General forum, here. Be cautioned that the forum rules allow no advertising or promotion, other than personal items for sale, so this will necessarily constrain encouraging people to buy books or other items from your business. You can, however, have links to your site(s) in your signature line.

I'll advise you against (though it's your choice) putting your email address in your signature line. Spam bots will harvest it from any published location on the web and you'll get ever increasing amounts of junk mail. Any forum member who wants to email you simply clicks on your name in any of your posts and the option to email you through the board appears as an item in a drop-down menu, without revealing your email address. They can then compose and email you from here. When you receive the email, it does include their email address for a reply, so you can then reply directly, which will give them your email address. This is not about hiding your email from other members, but rather just avoiding spambots.

This whole handloading forum is all about questions and answers. You'll find a wealth of information and expertise here. Members include not only hobby shooters, but a number of engineers, a metallurgist, a for former Aberdeen Proving Grounds Test Director and Failure Investigator, a couple of former U.S. Palma team members, a firearms engineer who routinely blows guns up as part of his work. Lots of diverse people. I hope you enjoy your time here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 28, 2014, 05:20 PM   #11
DocUSMCRetired

I actually did post in the general forum, and they moved it here.
Old November 28, 2014, 05:42 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Ah! That happens sometimes. The system doesn't tell me unless I go looking for the redirect. Thanks.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 28, 2014, 05:44 PM   #13
DocUSMCRetired

Its all good, my ultimate goal is that if someone has a question. Someone else can say "Their is an Applied Ballistics guy here, just ask him" !!!
Old November 29, 2014, 11:57 AM   #14
RC20

Doc,

Just got back to the thread, my apologies for not extending a welcome, I got focused on the tools (being a tool user at work .....)

Indeed welcome to the forum and this group in particular where my technical non work obsessing lies these days (other may disagree and that's good of course!)

I don't have anything to sell (normally) so I can throw out what I have and how I use it.
Old November 30, 2014, 06:40 PM   #15
DocUSMCRetired

No problems. Its good to see industry experts frequent this area.