The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 2, 2011, 06:46 AM   #1
oneounceload

So you think you shoot a lot?

Current issue of Sports Afield had a short article on Zippy's friend, Kim Rhode. She is slated to go for medal in London at the 2012 Olympics. IF she manages this incredible feat, she will become the ONLY US Olympic athlete in ANY sport to do so for 5 consecutive Olympics.

She shoots International Skeet - low gun, low shot charge, variable 1-3 second delay. Her training includes station training in which she starts at station 1 and tries to shoot 25 in a row without a miss - if she misses, she starts all over and continues until she succeeds. The she shoots 25 pairs, and continues this way until she shoots all of the stations, resulting in her shooting 500-1000 rounds per DAY, EVERY DAY -

Her new Perazzi is serving her well

Let's hope she brings home the gold AND the media plays it up big time - when she first won gold in Atlanta in 96, she was the first American of those games to medal, and the press barely mentioned her name, let alone her feat of being 16 at the time.
Old July 2, 2011, 07:55 AM   #2
shortwave

Wow!

500-1000 rds EVERYDAY. Now thats a LOT of shooting.

Best Wish's to her in London as she continue's to represent the US.

Last edited by shortwave; July 2, 2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old July 2, 2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Rugerismisticness

I'd totally shoot way more than her if someone gave me all that ammo and free range fees. I can't even imagine 1000 bird range fee. I shoot 1000rnds every 2 months. My Benelli M2, bought in october, already has 9,000rnds through.
Old July 2, 2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Drummer101

If someone else was footing the bill I would do the same...
Old July 2, 2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Slugo

Good for her!!!
Old July 2, 2011, 10:52 AM   #6
.300 Weatherby Mag

I've watched her shoot on more than one occasion... She's a machine!!!

She knows my dad as they have competed against each other at NSSA events.. Very classy woman and a legendary competitor... She also hunts too!!
Old July 2, 2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Slugo

Old July 2, 2011, 12:14 PM   #8
BigJimP

Good for her .....

By all accounts she's an impressive young lady ..../ I'm certainly wishing her well !!
Old July 2, 2011, 12:17 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Even if ammo and range fees were comped, I wonder if many would have the discipline to shoot 500 to 1,000 a day.
Old July 2, 2011, 02:08 PM   #10
zippy13

I have the original NSSA score sheet from a June 1991 Skeet tournament. A very young Kimberly Rhode was in her first (IIRC) NSSA shoot. It was the Fathers Day weekend and Richard Rhode shot, too. Her scores were: .410=78, 28=87, 20=89 and 12=87. Between events, she entertained herself catching little frogs. Five years later she won Olympic Gold. It's amazing what practice, determination and natural ability can do.
I don't think she had time to catch any frogs in Atlanta
Old July 3, 2011, 04:26 AM   #11
darkgael

lots

Quote:
Even if ammo and range fees were comped, I wonder if many would have the discipline to shoot 500 to 1,000 a day.
That is a good wonder. Shooting like Ms. Rhodes does requires a lot more than time and money. Those two elements make what she does possible but taking the "possible" and making it real, day after day, is what makes her a champion.
Pete
Old July 3, 2011, 06:57 AM   #12
Rembrandt

Had the privilege to work with Kim and her Dad at a Celebrity shoot for GWB. She would hang upside down with her legs over her fathers shoulders and shoot skeet....super nice family.

Old July 3, 2011, 10:24 AM   #13
Drummer101

I should add to the post I would do the same in the amount of shooting, still not shooting as well
Old July 3, 2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ms Rhode didn't always shoot Intl Skeet. Her first Olympic medals were in Olympic Trap, one in Trap Doubles.

When Women's Trap event were removed from the Olympics, she switched over to Skeet.

And still kicked everyone's whatever.....
Old July 3, 2011, 09:22 PM   #15
egor20

Quote:
At 13, she won her first world championship title in women's double trap shooting.
Quote:
Rhode won a gold medal at the 1996 Summer Games, making her the youngest female gold medalist in the history of Olympic shooting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Rhode

If I ever had a daughter.....................

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old July 3, 2011, 11:07 PM   #16
zippy13

Ms Rhode didn't always shoot Intl Skeet. Her first Olympic medals were in Olympic Trap, one in Trap Doubles.
She started in Skeet. IINM, she shot trap at Atlanta because Ladies Skeet wasn't offered as an event at that Olympics. Unlike the glory sports, the shooting sports are variable, especially for the ladies, depending on the host nation. She's proven that she knows her way around a shotgun in any olympic sport.

A while back, I was chatting with NSSA past-president Dr. Charles Clark (father of World Skeet Champion Alan Clark) and he stressed the importance of starting competitors off at an early age. His position was, if their were young enough, their brains would develop to accommodate the tasks presented them -- Alan's brain was wired differently than ours. How many of you recall seeing Tiger Woods, as a toddler with a golf club, and his dad on the Tonight Show many years ago?