The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 25, 2004, 11:00 PM   #1
Texas Shooter 2

22lr

I have a 22LR with the following info on it. On the top of the barrel in front of the sights it says; FABRIQUE NATIONALE D`ARMES DeGUERRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE BROWNINGS PATENT DEPOSE. On the left side of the barrel above the forearm says; 22 LONG RIFLE SMOKELESS. On the left side of the receiver by the edge of the stock it says; HAYWOOD GUNS INDEP. MO. On the left side, on the trigger guard it says; FN. On both the receiver and trigger guard, where they break down, inside where the barrel joins receiver it has the serial #; 657XX. On the stock above the trigger guard is a; P in a circle. There are at least 3 belgian proof marks, only 2 of which I have found. They are on page 1534 inthe 21st edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values. They are the following; Since 1853 - PERRON - View stamp & inspectors mark for parabellum pistols and Since 1924- ____ - Nitro proof for rifled barrel & parabellum pistols. The magazine tube runs from the middle of the buttplate through the stock. You load the shells through the top of the stock.Top loading, I have never heard of this rifle having Smokeless on it or seen it loaded from the top. The barrel is 191/4 inches. There is no engraving. There looks to have been at one time a rectangle metal inlay on the right side of the forearm. Does anyone know anything about this gun?
Old June 26, 2004, 02:30 PM   #2
Steven Mace

Browning Auto 22 Rifle

Texas Shooter 2, it sounds like you're describing a Browning Auto 22 rifle, pictured above. Browning still sells this rifle but they are now made by Miroku instead of FN. Based on the serial number, without a letter you've posted it would be considered an 'early' version made sometime between 1914-1955. Is this the rifle you have?

Steve Mace
Old June 26, 2004, 10:53 PM   #3
Texas Shooter 2

I'm sorry to say, that's not the rifle I have. The one I have doesn't load from the side of the stock, it loads from the top of the stock. Also my rifle say's
22 Long Rifle SMOKELESS on the barrel. I appreciate the effort to help me.

Last edited by Texas Shooter 2; June 27, 2004 at 08:45 AM.
Old June 27, 2004, 01:53 AM   #4
Steven Mace

Are you able to post a picture of your rifle?

Steve Mace
Old June 28, 2004, 11:27 AM   #5
Texas Shooter 2

I hope I did this right

The quality of the pictures isn't that good. I think I need new software. The one I have doesn't allow for picture reduction. The size was to large to upload. They may be to small now. I'll have to see
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22lr2.jpg (47.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 22lr3.jpg (40.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 22lr5.jpg (43.3 KB, 117 views)