The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 23, 2016, 08:12 AM   #26
orsogato

I think I signed up sometime in 1999 because at the time it was like the only forum around online.

I feel like I am getting old with a join date in the 90's!!
Old July 24, 2016, 01:33 PM   #27
Ozzieman

The reason I joined, I was looking for some information on something or other and Google led me to TFL.
That one time was all it took.
Lets face it, with
Quote:
I am a gun nut.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 24, 2016, 11:58 PM   #28
OcelotZ3

Had to pull my posting as I was thinking of another forum.

TFL & THR are both great resources.

Last edited by OcelotZ3; July 26, 2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old July 25, 2016, 12:03 PM   #29
Skans

I joined back in 2008. This is a great place for gun-related discussions. Lots of knowledgeable folks here on gun laws and on firearms in general. When I first started discussing guns online, I mainly used Buddy Hinton's board, Sturmgewehr. Over the years, it morphed into a place to mainly have discussions on NFA firearms - I still consider it the best place to get good detailed answers on NFA matters. That's about when I found I liked the discussions over here for all other non-nfa firearms discussions better. Although, TFL has a good NFA section as well - just not as much machine-gun related traffic.
Old July 26, 2016, 11:08 AM   #30
Daren Thompson

I don't post anywhere much anymore. I mostly lurk. Has anyone else been around here long enough to remember when FOUP was a flop? This board is responsible for most of my firearms knowledge. Thanks to all! (Firearms Owners Unification Project)
Old July 26, 2016, 01:38 PM   #31
Skans

I had to look up the FOUP stuff. Interesting. This was before my time. Good idea, but I wonder what happened to it?
Old July 26, 2016, 03:14 PM   #32
Charles S

Great thread!

I joined in 2002 and really learned a lot. I remember how disappointed I was when TFL closed. I joined THR and continued to learn. I was really happy with TFL opened again.

For me it is a great place to hang out.

I agree with Tom's assessment:

Quote:
.........., but the two forums had different audiences. TFL was quieter but wiser, while THR was more vibrant and hosted a younger crowd.......
Old July 26, 2016, 06:34 PM   #33
Ozzieman

Quote:
THR is SO much better.
Then why are you here?

Quote:
Got accused of being a "troll" by TFL a few years ago
Sounds like they got that right

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 26, 2016, 08:26 PM   #34
OcelotZ3

Nope, sorry, I was thinking of TFF (The Firearms Forum).

I have edited my posting.
Old July 27, 2016, 05:29 AM   #35
Daren Thompson

FOUP, the idea whine it was to run a full page add in USA today I think. Everyone would contribute $50. I think it would have taken like 1500 people to make it happen. Don't remember how many where members here then, but that may have been more than were members. Anyway never reached the amount and we all recieved our money back. Probably would fly today, just a little before its time.
Old July 27, 2016, 11:09 PM   #36
bbqncigars

I used to spend a lot of time on rec.guns back in the 80s. One thread topic that surfaced there annually was stopping bears, especially bears in the water. I facetiously posted about a certain gunsmith's custom M1A that had a parkerized snorkel bracket on the stock for dealing with underwater bruins, and a couple of twits took it seriously enough to PM me for the smiths name.
I greatly prefer this forum for gun matters.
Old July 29, 2016, 06:50 PM   #37
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Probably would fly today, just a little before its time.
Nah, still impractical to run a full page in NYT. No need to now though. A fraction of that money spent on social media advertising would get considerably greater attention.
Old August 1, 2016, 12:53 PM   #38
Skans

Quote:
full page in NYT.
Who really reads the New York times that would be sympathetic to 2nd Amendment rights arguments? I'm just wondering how I could possibly phrase an argument for owning whatever kinds of weapons and magazines that folks who have never seen a gun before are going to care about?
Old August 1, 2016, 09:06 PM   #39
johnwilliamson062

No one. The circulation is down to just over 500,000 for the print version of the times.
Old August 15, 2016, 06:25 PM   #40
Clark

I think Gale McMillan was posting here and rec.guns.
I had been on rec.guns since 1994.
So I signed up.
TFL shut down for a long time, and when it started up it gave me a new start date.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 17, 2016, 10:41 AM   #41
Mike Irwin
Staff

Just noticed that the Wayback image captured a post by Southla1...

Carlyle Hebert....

Never met the man, but just from interacting with him on TFL for a short period of time felt as if I had known him for years.

Was retired from the domestic oil field business, got called back to work to go to the Middle East after the Second Gulf War, and contracted a fatal illness, passing in 2003.

Still think about him frequently.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.