The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 17, 2009, 09:25 PM   #1
tprickett

Airsoft guns?

I'm considering going airsoft for practicing steel and see that you have a choice between spring and gas powered pistols. Most people seem to be buying gas guns. Are spring guns a viable option or are they just toys?
Old November 17, 2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Bigjim3

The Sheriffs department (here) makes their guys use replicas for their duty guns. Most are The green gas airsoft but just a few were the spring. The green gas work well they have some that are blow back really cool. I had a few co2 and green gas that worked well. and the sky is the limit when buying one. Stay away from the wallmart crap..
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old November 17, 2009, 09:58 PM   #3
javabum

I think air soft is a decent way to practice.And the nice thing is you can purchase an air soft that is the same weight as the real thing and with the same outer decocker safeties and so forth.And instead of using green gas that is so expensive you can use LPG,that is 1/4th the cost.
A friend of mine bought a Caspien air soft pistol and i shot it and loved it.When we averaged out the cost it was approx. .50 cents per 1oo rounds.
Not bad when all you are looking for is the practice.Seems to be an inexpensive way to go.thinking of it my self.

NRA Life member
Old November 17, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Casimer

I'd go with a gas gun. I think that the spring guns need to be manually cocked for each shot. There may be repeaters, but then you'd be setting the spring w/ the trigger, which would result in a heavy trigger.
Old November 17, 2009, 11:45 PM   #5
Schneiderman

A decent airsoft gun is spendy though, I haven't followed them for a few years but I remember decent replica gas guns going for at least $400 years ago (for a realistic metal or high quality polymer gun with blowback). They seemed to be getting cheaper when I lost interest but I wouldn't be surprised if they got more expensive due to inflation.

I do think they would be a good alternative for practicing technique, especially since you could even practice in your house if you wanted to.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
javabum

My friend got his with everything for under 250.
Included with purchase of gun...5000 rounds,LPG filler adapter,2 clips and a jar for filling the clips with rounds.Seems like a pretty decent price.And it's the blow back system he got not the spring type.

NRA Life member
Old November 18, 2009, 10:34 AM   #7
raimius

Decent airsoft pistols (green gas/propane blowback) are usually $100-$200.
Old November 18, 2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Blue Steel

Like Casimer said, the cheaper spring mechanism guns usually require you to work the slide (or whatever else cocks the spring) for each shot.

My friend bought a Glock pistol that uses green gas. Was a very realistic feel, with green gas stored in the magazine so you could even to reloads if you had extra magazines.

Check out http://www.kapowwe.com...I haven't been there in along time, but they used to have some pretty good you-tube video reviews of airsoft guns.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Schneiderman

I just did some looking and yeah, gas guns have come way down in price. I'm actually thinking about getting one now.
Old November 27, 2009, 08:03 PM   #10
ken grant

The Gas Blowbacks are great. I have several KWA Glock 19's and a WE 1911.
I have extra mags for all.
I use Coleman Propane Bottles (less than $3.00 ea) and in warm temps I can get over 6,000 shots per bottle. Colder I get much less.

My #1 KWA G19 went over 16,000 BB's before I had any problems and that was an easy fix. The rubber at the hop-up had a split in it and I replaced it. It still worked with the split but I wanted to order some spare parts to have on hand so I got a replacement.

If you buy KWA AirSofts, you can buy parts from KWAUSA here in the states.
Others you mostly have to get from overseas.
Old November 27, 2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Drummer101

If you go for a gas one get one that can also use propane because green gas is hard to find.
Old November 27, 2009, 10:53 PM   #12
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Guys, this is a firearms forum. As so often happens with these Airsoft threads, this one has centered on Airsoft guns & equipment rather than how they apply to training and tactics with real firearms.

There's a ton of forums out there that deal with Airsoft, rather than real firearms. In those, Airsoft equipment is on topic. Here, it's not.

Off topic and closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread