The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 18, 2009, 02:33 AM   #1
MajorKong42

Need help with Mossberg 590 Problem!

Alright folks, I need help! I regularly view these forums for help, reviews, purchasing advice, etc. Haven't found anything close to my problems that I am having so here I am.

I have a Mossberg 590 SP 20". I have put approx 300 rounds through this shotgun, had it for about 6 months, absolutely love it. Best HD solution around.

After cleaning and reassembly a week ago, my 590 now does not chamber cartridges. I cycle the action (slow, medium, fast) and it does nothing. I can put my finger in the receiver and depress the cartridge stop and the shell "pops" out a bit. Then if I cycle the action, the elevator knocks the cartridge out the bottom of the receiver, still no feed, next cartridge same as before.

I tried manually feeding a shell into the chamber, then closing the action. When I open the action again to eject the cartridge, it is now stuck to the face of the bolt...scary.

I disassembled / reassembled my 590 again thinking that I had done something wrong. Consulted owners manual and Youtube, I did everything right. Still no help. I have also noticed that I cannot unscrew my magazine tube from the receiver at all, stuck like an S.O.B.;I have taken it off before and perhaps have cross-threaded it. I have noticed that there is a small uneven gap between the magazine tube and receiver, the gap is wider on the cartridge stop side of the receiver. To top it all off, I managed to foul the end of the mag tube while tapping my spring retainer back in place...now I can't screw the magazine cap back on! I think I need a new mag tube for sure but I can't remove it.

I did my homework on this purchase, I know I have a quality firearm, I have owned several Mossberg shotguns in the past for hunting use. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know of a fix? Will Mossberg fix this issue?...I have never dealt with them.

BTW, Rem 870 owner, I already know what you have to say so save it for someone who has never fired a shotgun before. Thanks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated folks! Frustrated...
Old November 18, 2009, 06:23 PM   #2
MAX100

It is hard for anyone to say for sure what's going on without looking it over. You need to take it to a smith that has experience with Mossberg shotguns before you cause more damage to it. The lip of the mag tube can easily be fixed by someone who knows what they are doing.

GC
Old November 18, 2009, 07:05 PM   #3
colostomyclown

you really should not have unscrewed the mag tube from the 590. theres really no need for it, in my opinion. Don't fret though, while I think that's probably the source of your problems, a gunsmith (make sure you select a GOOD one) should find it an easy fix. and if i remember correctly, you may be able to order a replacement 590 mag tube for not THAT expensive (i wouldnt imagine more than 50 or 60 bucks?). And like Max100 said, if it is messed up, the threads could probably be brought back to even stronger than before by qualified personnel.

I think most would agree that unscreweing the tube from a 590 isn't near as necessary as on a 500. I personally have never done it. If the tube needs cleaning just pull out the retainer and spring and pour out the follower and its a straight shot through. Once it's good to go, just leave it.

Last edited by colostomyclown; November 18, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old November 18, 2009, 09:00 PM   #4
inSight-NEO

Quote:
I have also noticed that I cannot unscrew my magazine tube from the receiver at all, stuck like an S.O.B.;I have taken it off before and perhaps have cross-threaded it. I have noticed that there is a small uneven gap between the magazine tube and receiver, the gap is wider on the cartridge stop side of the receiver. To top it all off, I managed to foul the end of the mag tube while tapping my spring retainer back in place...now I can't screw the magazine cap back on! I think I need a new mag tube for sure but I can't remove it.
Focusing on these statements alone, its obvious to me that the mag tube is the major suspect here. It almost sounds as if the spring/ammo is hanging up inside the tube and thus causing misfeed issues...given your mention of an "uneven gap between the tube and receiver." Either way, Id look in to replacing the mag tube or having it fixed. Personally, Id opt for just buying a replacement. For this I would look at Brownells (should be no more than $50 or so) or just call Mossberg direct.

Oh, and I would recommend not screwing around with the mag tube in the future. Unless you need to either replace it or refinish it, removal is simply not necessary IMHO. After all, there are many ways to clean the mag tube without actually removing it. In addition, always take it slow when you are screwing on the mag tube cap. The threads on the Mossberg tubes are fragile and therefore, easily messed up. So, again...be careful.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; November 18, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old November 19, 2009, 01:31 PM   #5
MajorKong42

Thanks for the input everyone.

As an update, I talked with Mossberg's customer service and they told me to ship the gun to them and that they would get it fixed and replace the mag tube at no cost. I was impressed with that even when I told the guy that I was responsible for fouling the end of the mag tube.

I will be leaving the mag tube in place for cleaning from this point on. Thanks again everyone!
Old November 19, 2009, 01:33 PM   #6
colostomyclown

Welcome to Mossberg customer service! It rules!
Old November 19, 2009, 01:48 PM   #7
MajorKong42

No doubt! When I called I was on hold for about 5 minutes and the rep I got said she would take my information and have a technician call me back. I was a little skeptical, but I got a call back from 'Joe' 30 minutes later and he was on the ball. He told me to send it back with a note describing my issue and his quote to comp the mag tube and put it to his attention.

I'm shipping it back today! I'm tempted to have them mount ghost ring sights on the barrel since they will have it there anyways...I figure parts and labor will be around $100-125, and I'm a bit strapped right now...

I'll post an update when I get it back.
Old November 19, 2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Technosavant

Wow, that's some fantastic service. I don't own a Mossberg (tend to lean Remington), but that's a heck of a thing to do.
Old November 19, 2009, 03:14 PM   #9
MAX100

The mag tube the 590 doesn'r need to be removed to clean. Just pry the spring retainer out. The standard 500 is different because the end is permanently closed.

Mossberg will probably replaced the bead sight barrel with one that has the front GRS installed. I would ask them if they will send the bead sight barrel back as well. They have no use for a used barrel.

GC
Old November 19, 2009, 05:58 PM   #10
OlympicArmsFan

This is a big reason I went with Mossberg. I read and heard about their service and the 10 year warranty cant beat that.

Keep us posted, this is a good post.
Old November 20, 2009, 09:47 PM   #11
inSight-NEO

Quote:
As an update, I talked with Mossberg's customer service and they told me to ship the gun to them and that they would get it fixed and replace the mag tube at no cost. I was impressed with that even when I told the guy that I was responsible for fouling the end of the mag tube.
Thanks for the update. Im glad they took on the job at no cost to you! It just goes to show that buying a quality weapon is one thing. But, quality CS to back it up is the defining factor, IMHO. Keep us posted on the results....

Quote:
I will be leaving the mag tube in place for cleaning from this point on. Thanks again everyone!
Good idea. Again, Im glad things are working out and kudos to Mossberg service. After all, sometimes such issues can become much, much more of a burden than they need to be.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:02 PM   #12
MajorKong42

Update: Not a Happy Camper

Well, I got my 590 back via FedEx today. Pretty good turn around and as I mentioned before the customer service was pleasant.

Only problem is that THE GUN IS NOT FIXED! The mag tube was replaced but apparently that was it. As soon as I unpacked it I loaded 5 2-3/4" rounds into the tube, pumped the action and...still no function! Same as before, I have to depress the cartridge stop to allow the shell to "pop out a little" then when I cycle the action, the shell is kicked out of the bottom of the receiver by the elevator!

A.) What the hell is going on with my shotgun?!

B.) Why does Mossberg apparently not test or evaluate their repair work?

I think of myself as a Mossberg loyalist, but this has greatly affected my opinion of them as a company.

I will be calling Mossberg (of course) tomorrow to ask them WTH is going on. I will also be contacting the dealer to see if anything can be done on their end (not keeping my hopes up on that one...).

At this point I am considering asking for a refund or exchange/upgrade to an A1.

Here is the other kicker in all of this: I paid $449.00 for this 590SP w/ heat-shield and bead sight back in May 2009 (during the OMGOTMGAE [Oh My God Obama's Taking My Guns Away Epidemic]). Last week I saw a 590A1 with GRS and CAR stock / pistol grip for the same damn price. :barf:
Old December 10, 2009, 10:55 PM   #13
gyvel

Is your shell stop being activated/moved when you pump the action?

Tags
cartridge stop , feeding problem , magazine tube , mossberg 590