Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 23, 2009, 06:42 PM   #1
2cooltoolz

HPD: 74-year-old man shoots carjacker in SW Houston

One for the good guys!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6543768.html
Old July 28, 2009, 12:15 PM   #2
27Veer

I recently got my CCW and over half the class were 65+, Good job.
Old July 28, 2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Nice, but not exactly Tactics or Training.
Old July 28, 2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Sefner

There are some tactics

Quote:
The bleeding Baltazar climbed through the shattered window but apparently had a problem holding up his baggy trousers, Ramos said.
Always wear clothes that allow you to move

Seriously though,

Quote:
Soon after Peters got out of his car, Martin Baltazar, 18, came up to him and jammed a knife against his throat, Houston police said.

“He said, ‘Give me your car or I'll kill you,' “ said Victor Senties, an HPD spokesman.

Peters reached into his car for a pistol. He began firing, with at least one round striking Baltazar in the abdomen, Houston police said.
It depends on location and position here. If the GG reached into his car and pulled a pistol with the BG's knife to his throat... not so smart. But we don't really know what happened. I think one important thing to take away here is that if the BG had a gun, the GG would still have used his gun against him, so "never bringing a knife to a gun fight" doesn't apply here. Also props to the GG for keeping a cool head and landing a shot near center mass after having a knife to his neck.

Last edited by Sefner; July 28, 2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Old July 28, 2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Yep, them old guys won't wrassle you, they will just shoot you.

Bad guys take note, never try a strong arm robbery unless you have a firm grip on your ghetto pants. Belts and suspenders are for sissy's.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 28, 2009, 10:41 PM   #6
Ricky B

Not exactly Tactics and Training, huh?

Quote:
A southwest Houston man ... shot a knife-wielding carjacker
Well how about this: Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
Old July 28, 2009, 11:16 PM   #7
SW1911CT

Quote:
Nice, but not exactly Tactics or Training.
umm, try not to be a nerd

I love hearing stories like this, but the brief narrative always leaves out important details. Like how did he go from standing with a knife held to his throat to getting back in his car for his shooter?
Old July 28, 2009, 11:22 PM   #8
Texasborn

I'm liking the castle doctrine. Peters didn't even need a CCL to carry in his car. I bet car jackings have gone down since the Castle Law passed in Sep, 2007.
Old July 29, 2009, 08:14 PM   #9
Dallas Jack

I knew those baggy pants had a good side.

I wonder what happened to his (BG's) friend in the car. Did he get caught?
Dallas Jack
Old August 1, 2009, 11:46 AM   #10
sdj

Quote:
Like how did he go from standing with a knife held to his throat to getting back in his car for his shooter?
My thoughts, as well.
Old August 1, 2009, 04:27 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Well how about this: Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
If only one person is discharging a gun, it is a shooting, not a gunfight.
Old August 2, 2009, 07:15 AM   #12
Brit

There are many sides to a story, in this case three, the good guy, the Newspaper, may hap the shot in the belly car jacker, in Spanish? not quite agreeing to the other two?

In fact any story the young half naked young man was to give, who was too concerned with blood leaking out of his belly to say much except "Ow-Ow" would be suspect.

How about "He turned the engine off, shut the car door, and put his keys in his pocket" "I ran up behind him, he pulled a gun out of his pocket, not the keys I asked for, and shot me!" That might be closer to what happened?

Do we care? Not really, but if this is gang related, most likely is, care and attention needs to be exercised by the nice old chap from here on in.
Old August 2, 2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Cincy_Ron

Couple of different angles on this story. The first one has him getting back in his car to get his handgun, the second one has police chasing the BG through the neighborhood. Interesting how different news media have different angles on the same story...

HOUSTON -- A 74-year-old man shot a teenager who tried to carjack him outside his home, police told KPRC Local 2.

Houston police said Martin Baltazar, 18, approached August Peters as he was getting out of a car at a home in the 10900 block of Corona Lane shortly before 7 a.m. Thursday.

Investigators said Baltazar, wearing a ski mask, put a knife to Peters' throat and told the man to hand over his keys.

Peters got back in his car, pulled out a gun and and fired twice -- hitting Baltazar once in the stomach, police said.

Detectives said Baltazar ran through a house across the street and tried to run through a back door, but it was locked.

"I see the guy running to my house, and I see a lot of blood on him. I told that guy, 'Stay there,'" witness Jorge Ramos said.

Baltazar picked up a chair, threw it through a window and jumped out the window, police said.

Ramos said the suspect took his pants off in order to get through the window.

He then jumped a fence and collapsed two blocks away on Carvel Lane near Wilcrest Drive, investigators said.

Baltazar was taken to Ben Taub Hospital in fair condition.

No one else was not injured.

Police said Baltazar could face an aggravated robbery charge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

74-Year-Old Man Shoots Would-Be Carjacker, Police Say

July 24, 2009

Texas (ChattahBox) - A Houston man (74) shot a car jacker (18), after he tried to rob him at knife point outside of his home.

August Peters was getting out of his car to enter his home when Martin Baltazar jumped out from behind it, and put a knife to his throat. He was attempting to rob him of his money and car, but he didn’t get very far.

Peters grabbed his gun, and shot Baltazar in the stomach.

Alerted by the shots, nearby police were quick to the scene, and chased the 18-year-old would-be robber through the neighborhood of Corona Lane. Baltazar ran through a home, bleeding, and tried to leave through the back door, but it was locked.

In a move that must have been of panic, rather than brilliance, Baltazar grabbed a chair, broke a window, and scurried through, leaving blood (and his pants) behind.

Police found him a street over, after he collapsed.

He has been taken to the hospital, and is in stable condition, the wound having been a superficial one. But his legal record has been rather damaged, and, we imagine, so has his street cred.