The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 1999, 12:12 PM   #1
Oatka

Gentlemen, back again. This time I am looking for some 44 Mag loads for my NEF Handi Rifle with a 22" bbl. I'll be using Lee's 240 gr plain base bullet cast in wheelweights, and maybe go to a GC bullet if I start to get leading. OA length is not a problem as the rifling will tell me when I've seated too far out. I'm not looking to blow treads off of tanks, but just would like to take advantage of the longer barrel. The slowest burning powders I see are all handgun loads, stopping at Herc 2400, IMR4227
or H110. Anybody have experience with anything slower?
Old July 9, 1999, 06:45 PM   #2
Paul B.

OATKA. When I had a Marlin .44 Mag carbine, I used W-296. 1350 fps loads in a 7 1/2 in Ruger would attain 1750 to 1775 fps in the 22" barrel. Unfortunatlely the rifle was very inaccurate. (4" groups at 50 yds, regardless of bullet type, lead or jacketed) BTW the lead bullets were more accurate than the jacketed. Pressure were reasonable.
BTW. Did you use a real tight crimp? This is critical with the slower burning powders in .44 Mag.
Paul B.