The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2012, 04:16 PM   #1
willr

32 acp load for 30-06 chamber inserts

I have acquired a couple of "chamber inserts" which make it possible to fire 32 acp in my 30-06. (Good to use in many indoor ranges.) Does anyone have a suggestion for suitable loads for the 32 acp, or can anyone suggest a source for finding loads to use in the inserts? The real issue seems to me to be having enough pressure behind the 32 bullet to swage it from .312 to .308 without getting it stuck in the barrel. Factory loadings seem to work fine, but they, of course, are intended for pistols.

Thanks in advance,

willr
Old February 13, 2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Ozzieman

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Hodgdon has loads for the 32 ACP but you’re going to have to show photos of your insert,,,,, please!
I have a hard time believing that it would work. Going from .312 to .308 I think would leave a lot of lead or jacket fowling in the barrel
Old February 13, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Scharfschuetzer

I remember seeing adds for those sub cal chamber inserts in the back the "American Rifleman" years ago. I always wondered about it. As I recall, they made them for most of the popular 30 calibre cartridges.

As I load cast bullets for my 30 cal rifles, I never thought anymore about it until you posted just now. I'd be interested in hearing how the project turns out.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert

Last edited by Scharfschuetzer; February 14, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old February 14, 2012, 02:17 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that it would work. Going from .312 to .308 I think would leave a lot of lead or jacket fowling in the barrel
It works just fine, and won't leave any more fouling than standard ammunition; unless the chamber insert is rough, and gets fouled.

Will - load hot, and use the slowest powder you can find data for.
Old February 14, 2012, 02:41 AM   #5
Clark

To get the BB gun sound in a 30-06 you can only use one grain of powder.
To get the most velocity, the bullet must compress the powder.
If the bullet has to jump a long way to the rifling, accuracy is terrible.

The the old guy out in the middle of nowhere with two lathes make adapters is gone. His link went dead.
http://alexcartridge.com/

Now all that is available is that guy in Alaska. And he uses direct firing pin impingement, which makes as long a jump to riflings as possible.
http://www.mcace.com/
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 14, 2012, 12:39 PM   #6
willr

I got mine from Sportsmans' Guide. The link to the maker in Alaska is impressive.

Thanks for your responses. However, I take it that although others have seen this, no one has suggestions for the 32acp loading.

willr
Old February 14, 2012, 01:23 PM   #7
griz

Can't you just use any handload that duplicates factory 32 ACP? I know you are concerned about the slightly different diameter, but if it works with factory loaded 32 ACP, something that offers the same ballistics should work.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Clark

If you use the regular 32 acp, there will be a loud bang.

One notion is that a special round can be carried in the pocket while deer hunting. If a grouse is seen a tree, it can be shot without scaring all the deer.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 14, 2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Scharfschuetzer

Can't help you with the 32 ACP. I do load for the 32 S&W Long, but I don't think that other than diamater there is much in common. I use a .312 90 grain SWC over bullseye powder.

As you are loading single shot with the ACP case, you could probably use the 90 grain SWC or even a 115 grain cast bullet without too much trouble. A light crimp would suffice to hold the bullet as it won't have to transit the magazine into the chambers as in a semi-auto pistol.

I'd probably load on the top end of the chart for it as that long rifle barrel will need more gas volume to get the projectile out of the barrel than a 4" pistol would.

By the way, I often use the Speer .32 long 98 grain swaged bullets in my 30 cal rifles without any troubles and accuracy is good through 50 yards when used over Bullseye powder. They are quite useful for teaching new shooters to shoot as well as poleaxing vermin at close range.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert

Last edited by Scharfschuetzer; February 14, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old February 14, 2012, 10:17 PM   #10
SHR970

Hercules in the 90's had data listed for the 32 ACP that had Herco as the slowest powder available.......I have the manual.

If you go with modern data, the best velocity I have seen from the online manuals shows AutoComp as tops.

I would also suggest you go with lead bullets just in case.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:12 AM   #11
griz

I've never loaded the 32 ACP but I have put together some very mild 308 loads. I used a 32 cal cast SWC for about 1000 FPS. Instead of worrying about the bullet squeezing down a couple thousandths, I did have to be cautious of the neck diameter of the finished round. Once I found a brand of brass that didn't require neck turning, the loads worked fine. My goal was a load that roughly duplicated the 22 LR, and with a bullet that was twice as heavy I think it had a bit more punch. I have no way of measuring it, but it seemed quieter than a high speed 22 LR.

So if I was to load 32 for that adapter, I think I would use a cast SWC bullet. The lead would greatly reduce the chance of sticking a bullet in the barrel, and because it would be in the adapter there would not be any feeding issues. Good luck, Griz