The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 29, 2006, 12:57 AM   #1
oldbillthundercheif

Pheasant Pheaver!

I've got it bad this time.

I will definately be cruising up into the midwest to swing on birds this season and am looking for some hot tips on spots. I'm thinking Kansas or North Dakota at this point but if the article in the latest American Hunter is accurate, things are looking good everywhere. I have no dogs lined up at this point... I'll see what I can do about that. Which state has the best pheasant hunting in the whole US? I'm going all-out this year.
Old September 29, 2006, 04:43 PM   #2
oldbillthundercheif

Are there no rabid birdhunters here?

I figured I could set off a lively debate by asking where the "best" pheasant shooting is. I guess I was wrong...
Old September 29, 2006, 05:15 PM   #3
leetrev1

pheasant population forecast

I am originally from southwest nebraska but now am on the east side of the state. All summer I worked on our farm/ranch back home, and through out the summer, I saw more roosters than I have any other year. I went to the pheasants forever website and got the population projections for ya. Here is the direct link. http://www.pheasantsforever.org/hunting/forecast.php

If it doesn't work for you, simply go to www.pheasantsforever.com and click on pheasant hunting, and then population forecasts. I hope this helps ya, and enjoy planning your hunt!
Old September 29, 2006, 07:57 PM   #4
FrontSight

I'm supposed to be going Sunday, upstate NY, first time ever in my life hunting with dogs. I can't believe my whole life I've never known anyone with a hunting dog! Sad, very sad. Using the same guide I used for the Goose Hunt in Sept...

Wish me luck, will let you know how it goes...

And good luck to you in the midwest!
Old October 1, 2006, 08:32 AM   #5
12-34hom

Iowa & South Dakota are typically the best states for hunting pheasants.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.