The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 17, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Mikkel

Hunting with Aimpoint

Greetings my fellow hunters. Have any of you used or are any of you using Aimpoint sights on your rifle whilst hunting? Any experience you would like to share? Good or bad.
Old March 21, 2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Mannlicher

Red dots work great for hunting in heavy cover, at short distances. I use an EOTech 511 on my SOCOM for hogs.
The dot does tend to cover up the animal at longer ranges, and I dont find them as accurate as hunting with regular optics. Most do not offer magnification.

Its nice to see one of our Norsk brothers on the board.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 21, 2006, 04:20 PM   #3
Death from Afar

Tried it, hated it. Simply no good at all on anything past 30 odd metres. Stcik to a low power scope.
Old March 21, 2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Rembrandt

Not on a rifle.....but I have used them on shotguns and handguns, highly recomend them for (100-150 yd) short range firearms.
Old March 22, 2006, 09:08 AM   #5
Mikkel

Oh well then, ill have to drop the idea of using it on the Scout im getting soon. Just thought it would be good on the kind of short range hunting we do over here, but then again id better get the scout from Leupold. While im at it, anything to say on the Steyr Scout? Anyone in here used it for a long time and done serious hunting with it? (yes i know that there have been threads bout it, but theyr kind o old).
Old March 23, 2006, 09:58 PM   #6
SemperKnight

One day after a long hard day at work I decided to blow off some steam with my MAC90 which sported an aim point at the time. After entering woods behind house I immediatly jumped 2 doe. It was hunting season so I decided to turn on the scope and stalk walk on down to the creek. Right at the creek about 50yrds from where I was stepped out a nice six point. So I took aim and fired. Dropped him where he stood. He started to try and get back up so I popped him agin. I was using wolf JHPs. I scored a lung shot first round and a neck second round. My aim point has a 7 point intensity selector so I had no problem with target cover up. Mine is basicly like the ones the US Armed forces use and I scored expert(when I was in Army) with mine on tragets out to 300meters.
Old March 24, 2006, 04:18 AM   #7
formerflyer

Off topic, but you asked for it. . . .

Since you asked about the Steyr Scout, I’ve had one since the late ‘90’s. It’s gone on deer, goat and boar hunts from Hawaii to Texas. It also went with me to Africa and accounted for 4 game animals and 3 baboons. I’ve shot jackrabbits, cottontails, coyotes and other varmints and targets of opportunity with it. Mine’s got over 3000 rounds through it with precisely zero malfunctions. Zero has never wandered and it’s never needed a trip to the gunsmith.

It will do anything you want to with a rifle on this continent. It’s not a specialized tool. It’s not a dedicated long range shooter nor varminter, though you will be amazed how far you can shoot with it and how precise it can be. It’s not quite as fast as a lever gun for quickly moving targets, but it’s faster than any other bolt action rifle. The Steyr Scout reminds me of the famous Bear Bryant quote about one of his favorite quarterbacks Pat Trammel, “"He can't run, he can't pass, and he can't kick - all he can do is beat you."

The only time I ever felt inadequately armed on a hunt was when I was carrying it in Africa. I remedied that by purchasing the .376 version when I got home, and now I have a “Africa” scout and an “everywhere else” scout. My cup truly runneth over.

If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier.
Old March 28, 2006, 01:34 PM   #8
Mikkel

Formerflyer, your post have convinced me that i have made the right choice on the Scout. I wont be able to hunt with it before August this year (due to laws and restrictions over here), but i think its the most practical "allround" hunting rifle on the market today. I will be using it with the Aimpoint scope and im sure it will get the job done. Im not a gunrange guy, i prefer to hunt.