The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 27, 2010, 02:55 PM   #1
bizak

Carrying while riding a motorcycle.

Just purchased a Ruger P95 and I was wondering what type of holster do use when you carry a gun while you ride your motorcycle. I ride my bike a lot and I usually put close to 10,000 miles each summer and I have been through some rough parts of the county and I would like to be safe and not get my bike jacked.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly looking for IWB holsters.
Old December 27, 2010, 04:00 PM   #2
gearchecker

where you ride is as much a concern as how you carry

Holster use will be pretty much dictated by what states you're traveiling in.
IIRC Texas doesn't allow open carry so you'll need an IWB and be comfortable with it while you ride. Here in Idaho you can carry concealed as long as your on the bike, but the minute you dismount it has to be carried open without a CCW Permit or CWL. With the permit you can carry as you please.
For OWB it must have solid retention. I prefer Thumb break holsters for open carry. It doesn't affect drawing speed by much, but it'll keep it from getting it dropped and ending up with a bunch of idiot marks or road rash on it.
My preferred brand is Bianchi. The Nylon holsters will be very light weight and permolded to fit your pistol prefectly. A leather holster needs to be finished on the interior as well as the exterior to reduce or prevent muzzle wear too quickly.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old December 27, 2010, 04:13 PM   #3
kraigwy

I make a lot of road trips on my Sporty, I carry my 642 in mypants pocket just as I do every where else.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 27, 2010, 05:11 PM   #4
rodfac

A cpl of the guys I ride with, carry in riding jacket pockets, and one in a boot top! For me, when I'm armed, the piece is in one of my saddle bags as a rule, tho I've used a jacket side pocket on occasion. I'm partial to a Combat Commander..and that's the one in the saddle bags...but I do find room for a S&W M-36 in a jacket pocket. Rodfac
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 27, 2010, 05:22 PM   #5
KenpoTex

I ride an FZ6 and carry the same way I do any other time...Glock 19 or 17 in and IWB holster at the appendix position. No issues with this setup.

Matt K.
Old December 27, 2010, 05:40 PM   #6
PawPaw

I'm a Goldwing rider and I carry a pocket pistol. Sometimes a J-frame, sometimes a Ruger LCP.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 27, 2010, 06:58 PM   #7
bizak

I ride a 04 GSXR 600 which there is leaning angle to it compared to the cruiser such as the gold-wing or any Harleys out there. I always carry the gun in an IWB holster and I always check the state which I'm planning on traveling their laws on how to carry it. But I like the gun on me instead in a saddle or in the " trunk " of the bike. When I ride I do lean close to the ground and eventually wheelie so I wouldn't trust a loaded gun behind me.
I'm looking at bunch of holsters but I don't see one with the break thumb for a my type of Ruger.
I guess I'm going to go shopping for a motorcycle jacket that can carry a gun or custom fit a holster in my jacket.

Last edited by JohnKSa; December 28, 2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: ..
Old December 27, 2010, 07:21 PM   #8
Ralph Allen

Knowing your style of riding, a knee holster is out of the question!! If you do a search, you will find a holster fit for your Ruger that matches another pistol. I like a DeSantis nylon pancake holster, belt fit, 2 angle, thumbreak, that hugs your waist. Carried OWB, a good jacket/shirt will conceal said pistol, with a lump, but they shouldn't be looking at your waist as you ride. Once you dismount, a simple opening of the jacket, untucking of the shirt fairly well conceals the pistol. Try looking up the CZ forum website for holster fit. I remember a few years ago they put out a list of compatable holsters for certain CZ pistols.
Ralph
Old December 27, 2010, 07:48 PM   #9
govmule84

Being a guy who rides both cruisin' sleds and sport machines, I can safely say IWB sucks. Hangs out, wind whips your shirt up, ta-da, there's your piece.

Pocket carry, like someone else suggests, is useless. In a car, you can roll to your left to access it in a reasonable amount of time - not so on a bike.

For my money, shoulder holsters shine. Cannot be beaten for this application. There are even some riding jackets made that have an extra flap, like half of a vest, sewn in so you can just toss it in your leathers.
Old December 27, 2010, 08:13 PM   #10
qwik

I got wrecked with a derringer in my pocket, and it damn near broke my leg just saying. I use Coronado Leather vest also ,large inside vest pockets with built in holster. Top Quality - gonna break some ribs if you go down www.coronadoleather.com

Last edited by qwik; December 27, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old December 27, 2010, 08:25 PM   #11
govmule84

Quote:
Top Quality - gonna break some ribs if you go down
Keep the shiny side up, and you ought to be okay.

In all honesty, that's a risk of ANYTHING on a bike. I laugh when I see all these guys zipping around with pointy chrome farkles hanging off their sleds -these are people who A) have never been off a bike before, or B) didn't learn anything from it the last time they were ejected from one.

Off-body carry is an option, but you better bring the crystal ball to find out when you might need it.

The only thing I can think of that would allow discreet carry without the added risk of hurting yourself would be one of those miniature derringer things in a belt buckle. Having said that, if you manage to hit the ground hard enough with a shoulder rig that you break ribs, you are probably gonna need a new arm, too - the arm naturally covers the ribs, and at moment of impact, assuming you were not under the influence, you'd be tensed up. You might knock the wind out of yourself, or bruise up real bad, but it has been my experience that most people get the extremities real banged up, and that is the body's way of protecting its vulnerable core parts.

Little cold to be thinking of this, ain't it?

-L.
Old December 27, 2010, 08:32 PM   #12
mete

Does anyone use a lanyard ? I've known horse riders who do.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Yung.gunr

When I ride I usually carry my XD in a standard on the belt hoslter behind me. The way I see it if you go down it doesn't matter where it is it's gonna hurt. I like behind me because it's out of the way and I can still access it quickly if needs be. When I do get off I put it to my strong side. I do like the idea of the under the arm. It would not draw as much attention and still very accessible.
Old December 27, 2010, 11:47 PM   #14
bizak

I was thinking about sawing or somehow attaching one of this two holster inside my jacket.

Old December 28, 2010, 12:13 AM   #15
Silverado

I usually have an LCP in a pocket holster in my saddle bag. I will retreive it and put it in my pocket when I stop. I really don't like pocket carrying normally because of accessability problems, but on the bike it is just easier and at least I have something on me when I stop for a meal or whatever. It also keeps the gun off of my body when riding in the event of a spill. When I wear chaps on a day trip I usually carry a fanny pack in the saddle bag with the LCP, my wallet and cell phone and just take it inside with me over my shoulder when I stop- the chaps cover my belt and access to jeans pockets. Not ideal and it is kind of a "man-purse", but it is again better than nothing.

It is hard for me to imagine any scenario where one would pull a pistol when riding a motorcycle. How do you draw righty and keep a hand on the throttle? Theoretically possible on my bike with cruise control engaged, but how likely is that? How would you draw lefty and downshift or upshift? How do you draw cleanly wearing riding gloves on a moving bike? Maybe I'm missing something.

I've got to give the original poster credit for bringing this up in December- you must love to ride! My mistress has been in the garage on a trickle since October. I do give her a little pat every day when I get into my truck to let her know I'm still thinking about her!
Old December 28, 2010, 12:16 AM   #16
COSteve

Not mine but this one is pretty unique!!!

Old December 28, 2010, 12:23 AM   #17
8shot357

Quote:
I ride a 04 GSXR 600 which there is leaning angle to it compared to the cruiser such as the gold-wing or any Harleys out there.
I'd consider a shoulder holster.

BTW, I didn't know a Gold-Wing was a cruiser. I thought it was a Touring bike, in fact when they first came out, it was a sport oriented bike. And the new GWs are oriented more toward sport riding than cruising.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gold wing lean.jpg (42.0 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by 8shot357; December 28, 2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old December 28, 2010, 12:25 AM   #18
Silverado

COSteve,
Awesome!
Reminds me of a summer day a few years ago when I saw a dude riding his custom chopper about 80 MPH out on C470 wearing boots, jeans, sunglasses and nothing else but lots of tats and a giant chrome revolver on his belt on the right hip.
Old December 28, 2010, 12:44 AM   #19
Iron Man

I ride motorcycles a lot too! All my jackets have internal breast pockets that easily hold my Interarms stainless Walther PPk/S. It's perfect because if I get caught in the rain with it nothing gets hurt.
Old December 28, 2010, 09:45 AM   #20
bizak

Quote:
BTW, I didn't know a Gold-Wing was a cruiser. I thought it was a Touring bike, in fact when they first came out, it was a sport oriented bike. And the new GWs are oriented more toward sport riding than cruising.
Turing and cruising almost same thing. If you are going to seat up right on a motorcycle it's most likely a cruiser unless if you have a dirt bike. Still can't drag knees at 140mph.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:26 AM   #21
CajunBass

As one who's crashed a motorcycle while wearing a sidearm, I can assure you it hurts to come down on top of one. It leaves big bruises too. It's not good for the gun or holster, either.

After that the gun went into the storage box or bag until I got where I was going.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 28, 2010, 10:30 AM   #22
billnourse

I carry a Kahr P40 in the high side saddlebag and a Kahr P380 in my back pants pocket, vest pocket, or jacket pocket depending on what I am wearing. I also have a DeSantis paddle holster for the 40 that conceals well under a vest or light jacket.

Bill
Cooper 52 25/06, Cooper 52 30/06, Cooper 52 338/06Cooper 57 .17HMR, Remington VS .22/250 all left handed. Rock River Predator Persuit AR-15, 1952 Marlin 336 in 30/30. 2 Kimber 1911, Colt 1911, S&W .357 Mag, Kahr .40 and .380
Old December 28, 2010, 02:57 PM   #23
vico512

As Iron man said, when I carry my KelTec PF-9, it goes into the vest pistol pocket on my riding jacket -- easily accessible & protected. When I'm in a state where my CPL isn't valid, I put it (unloaded) in one of the lockable saddle bags on my Harley.

And, CajunBass, it hurts when you crash...period. The least of my concerns would be a firearm.

Ride safe...!
Old December 28, 2010, 07:17 PM   #24
orionengnr

Well, I'm still riding in late Decmber, but I don't own a car, so I ride every day. We've been getting 20s overnight at times, but we generally only get a couple days of snow or ice per year, and if it hits while I'm at work, I bum a ride home. If it happens overnight, I take a day off

When I pocket carried a Kahr PM9 every day, I just left it in the pocket. These days I carry "something a bit bigger" IWB at 4-4:30, and yes, I am always concerned about what would happen if I impact pavement with the pistol there. I don't have a perfect solution as yet. "Don't crash" is easier said than done.

For my Kahr P45, I use a UBG Striker 1 IWB. For my 1911, I use a Milt Sparks VMII. For my 4" N-frames, a Side Guard Holsters IWB or a Galco OWB. Always an armored jacked (mesh in summer).

Edited to add:
I don't think the OP is worried about drawing underway, because he mentioned getting his bike jacked. If you are on the bike and the engine is running, you are better off running than drawing.

I am at my most vulnerable (and most alert) while fueling--hands occupied, fiddling with debit card, nozzle, fuel cap, etc. Once the fuel is actually flowing, I have a pretty good defensive weapon in hand. If you've ever been soaked with fuel, you will know exactly how unpleasant it is, and if you never have, take my word for it. Eyes, crotch, armpits will feel as if they are afire.
Old December 28, 2010, 09:19 PM   #25
Wag