The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 01:22 AM   #1
DavidB2

Glock 19 vs. Ruger SR9C

Shot a friend's Glock 19 yesterday at the range yesterday. I was amazed at the immediate accuracy of this pistol; and the ease with which I shot it. It shot a variety of ammo without a jam. I am thinking about getting one in the future; as the 19 seems a great all around carry gun. I also have admired the Ruger SR9C for a compact pistol. Any thoughts on the Glock 19 or the Ruger SR9C?
Old January 28, 2013, 01:28 AM   #2
Xfire68

I have the SR9c and a Glock 20. I would buy another Glock but I am not sure I would buy another SR9c? The SR9 is not a bad gun as it has good points but the Glock is more simple to use and easier to shoot.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Dragline45

Cant go wrong with either. The Glock has the better track record since it's been around longer, but the SR series pistols have proven themselves in the years they have been out. I own an SR9C and have about 1000 rounds through mine with zero failures of any kind. The SR9C has a better trigger than the Glock, but that's not to say Glock's have bad triggers. It really should come down to if you prefer an external saftey or not, and how it fits your hand. The Glock grip angle is a love it or hate it type of thing. Some swear by it and say it fits them like a glove, others like myself find it awkward and hard to get used to. The SR9C and even the full size SR9 has a thinner grip than any Glock, to me this is important because the hardest part of a handgun to conceal is the grip when carrying IWB. Although some with larger hands might prefer the thicker Glock grip. As far as accuracy I would say both are about equal. I do not currently own a Glock but I have fired hundreds of rounds through Glock 19's, 17's and 26's. Like I said you cant really go wrong with either.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 28, 2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Pico

Apples and oranges

Yeah, find someone who owns each and shoot them. They are very diffferent. I agree about the grip angle and feel on Glocks. Still, they are awesome guns but I hold the Ruger better and appreciate a manual safety in all my semi-autos. I like the stock Glock trigger myself but the Ruger edges it a bit. Can't lose with either gun.

Pico
Old January 28, 2013, 08:30 AM   #5
baddarryl

Sorry wrong post.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:32 AM   #6
bigghoss

Glock 19 any day. I like glocks because they are simple, no features that the gun doesn't need to work safely and properly. I dislike the SR series pistols because they are loaded down with unnecessary features.

Also the glock has better aftermarket support and would be easier to sell and have a higher resale value if you ever decide to unload it.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:33 AM   #7
915A

I might be acquiring a G19 in a trade, if I do I can do a comparison from my point of view.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:02 AM   #8
bkenut

Have both and they have proform well. Just don't care for the Ruger safty.Can't go wrong with either if you are ok with the safety.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Gaerek

Both good guns, (I am a Ruger fan) but I'd take the Glock 19. I have one, and it's a great little gun. I'm not a fan of safeties and decockers and the like on carry guns. If you've read some of my other posts, I'm big on simplicity in training. You draw the Glock, point and shoot...nothing else to think about.

But that's my opinion. For every person like me, there's a person who would never carry a gun without a manual safety.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

I own neither, and have shot neither. I did, however, do pretty extensive reading in consideration of buying one or the other not that long ago. I say all of that so you know exactly what my opinion is worth: what you've paid for it.

Here's what I took away from my research:
  • Both appear to be good guns.
  • There were some reviews where folks complained about barrel peening on the SR9 and SR9C.
  • The G19 has been around longer.
  • I, personally, didn't like the thought of having a magazine disconnect safety, which the SR series has.
  • I did like the fact that Ruger is made in America.
  • I did like the fact that the SR9C will accept SR9 magazines (with a small sleeve to make it fit).
  • I have held both. Both were comfortable in my hands, with a slight edge to the SR9C, particularly once an extending doohickey is put on the magazine. I realize that says nothing about how either will fit your hands, so YMMV.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Gaerek

Quote:
I did like the fact that Ruger is made in America.
There are some Glocks being made here.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/7...3d898a2f_b.jpg

Note USA on the slide...not Austria. (Mine is made in Austria, though) It's my understanding that only Gen 3's right now are made in the USA...and not all of them, so it's a crap shoot which you get.

Quote:
I did like the fact that the SR9C will accept SR9 magazines (with a small sleeve to make it fit).
And a G19 will accept G17 mags, without a small sleeve. When I carry spare mags, I have a G19 mag in the gun, and my spares are G17's...giving me 50 rounds on my person.
Old January 28, 2013, 04:13 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

I hate to say it. The comparison is like comparing red apples, to granny smith apples. They are both guns that will more than do the job. Pick the one you you shoot best with, and would be more likely to have on your person in the worst heat of summer.

I like the Glock 26 that rides in my waistband. 'Though if I came into the
Ruger I would carry it after testing it for reliability. I know both will shoot better than I would ever be able to milk them for.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:05 PM   #13
sawman1293

I have the SR9c, the G19, and the G26. All are great guns. I carry the SR9c and the G26. I have the G19 for HD and range fun. Well over 1000 rounds through all 3. Can't go wrong with either of them.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:20 PM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaerek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
I did like the fact that Ruger is made in America.
There are some Glocks being made here.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/7...3d898a2f_b.jpg

Note USA on the slide...not Austria. (Mine is made in Austria, though) It's my understanding that only Gen 3's right now are made in the USA...and not all of them, so it's a crap shoot which you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
I did like the fact that the SR9C will accept SR9 magazines (with a small sleeve to make it fit).

And a G19 will accept G17 mags, without a small sleeve. When I carry spare mags, I have a G19 mag in the gun, and my spares are G17's...giving me 50 rounds on my person.
Weeeelllll, it would appear that my advice was worth somewhat less than anyone paid for it.

Thank you for the corrections, Gaerek.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Dragline45

Quote:
  • There were some reviews where folks complained about barrel peening on the SR9 and SR9C.
  • The G19 has been around longer.
  • I, personally, didn't like the thought of having a magazine disconnect safety, which the SR series has.
The barrel peening issue was with earlier models from what I understand. Most of the guns sent back to Ruger for peening nowadays are people being too meticulous and picky and don't realize that all barrel hoods show signs of wear, maybe with the exception of a well fit fixed barrel gun. Anytime there is metal on metal contact there will be signs of wear, period.

Here is a picture of my SR9C barrel hood after about 1000 rounds, bought in May of 2012. Granted I refinished my barrel by taking it down to a mirror finish, and polish it with mothers every time I shoot, but point is there is no signs of peening.

As far as the magazine disconnect in the SR series, it was designed to be removed easily, and literally takes less than 2 minutes to do. I also filed down the nub on the loaded chamber indicator so it sticks up about half as much as before, not nearly as unsightly.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 28, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:01 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Weeeellll, if nothing else, my earlier (& vastly incorrect) post at least brought out some better information.

Thanks, Dragline.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:08 PM   #17
Dragline45

You really weren't that far off. The earlier models did indeed have peening issues and it's something to be aware of if buying a used SR series pistol. As far as the magazine disconnect you were also correct about that, it's just not well known they can be removed so easily.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:14 PM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

Dragline, whether I was off by an inch or a mile, I'd rather be corrected than have the OP leaving here with my bad information.

Congratulations on hitting 1,000 posts!
Old January 28, 2013, 10:31 PM   #19
DavidB2

SR9C quality control issues

I have been doing some research on the Rugerr SR9C. I really like the versatility of the gun as a concealed carry/target pistol (with extended grip). However, ilt seems that some folks have had problems with peening barrels, sight adjustment, or gouging from the springs. Can anyone give feedback to some of these problems? On the other hand, Glock 19 is accurate out of the box, reliable under all conditions. I have not shot the SR9C; so I will hold off ultimate judgement until I can either rent one or get more positive feedback on the SR9C.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:39 PM   #20
915A

Has been issue free for 900 rounds and counting. It gets better every time I fire it. This last range trip I really focused on my sight picture and technique, and I was shooting very tight groups to the point of blowing a hole out in the center of the target. I'm sure the Glock is great, but you should give the Ruger a try if you can. Everyone has their favorite, and it will all come down to what your wanting, how it feels to you, and ultimately how you shoot with it.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:58 PM   #21
Dragline45

Quote:
However, ilt seems that some folks have had problems with peening barrels, sight adjustment, or gouging from the springs. Can anyone give feedback to some of these problems?
See my post few posts up. As far as gouging from the springs, that is just another example of people being too picky and meticulous, including myself when I first got mine. The guide rod is made of polymer, the spring is made of steel, of course there will be signs of gouging. When I first got my SR9C I noticed this, and Ruger sent me another recoil spring assembly in case it got worse, which it didn't. Just like any gun, certain parts will wear to a certain point and stop, it's part of the break in process of any gun. The spare recoil spring assembly is still sitting in the plastic ziplock baggie it came in untouched, I don't expect ill ever need to replace it unless I get close to the 10,000 round mark. If it really bothers you they make a steel replacement guide rod.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 29, 2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:08 AM   #22
ROCK6

My wife chose the SR9c and I’ve been pretty impressed with it. The trigger is great but I can’t stand the loaded-chamber indicator (my wife like’s it though). As to the safety, it’s pretty unobtrusive and can be ignored if you don’t care for it; again, that was a feature my wife wanted. It does seem slimmer than my G19’s and feels good in the hand.

The good news about the SR9c is that Ruger is pretty good about customer service and repair/spare parts.

That said there is just a larger amount of Glock aftermarket availability. I have both a Gen 3 and Gen 4; the Gen 4 has a back-strap that fits me much better for grip angle. I think it really comes down to which you shoot better or fits your hand better. Either will work with the Glock having a much longer track record. Ruger did well on the SR9c and it should continue to get good marks if they maintain a good QA/QC program.

ROCK6