The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 10, 2013, 02:54 PM   #26
bbamericanb

At walmart they had a few boxes of 7.62x39 and maybe 6 boxes of 5.56
Old February 10, 2013, 02:55 PM   #27
bbamericanb

but bass pro, cabelas and all the local gun stores have nothing
Old February 10, 2013, 05:13 PM   #28
kraigwy

Was in the Rapid City SD Cabala's and Scheels yesterday to get some #10 percussion caps for my cap 'n ball revolver and didn't see where things were getting anywhere close to normal.

No ARs, and few other rifles and pistols, at Scheels I ask them if they were selling display cases because they had a lot of empty ones.

No 22s, not primers (except shotgun), limited powder selection. There seem to be 9mms and 357s, no 38s, didn't check the prices, I reload that stuff anyway.

It was kind of funny, the wife glances at the empty racks and display cases and tells the clerk "My husband has more guns they you guys" adding "glad he got his collection early"

Little does she know "I ain't done yet" I have a Model 70 target rifle coming from the CMP Auctions and an action and parts coming to build a M1903A4.

22s is what bothers me, I have enough for the summer's matches but not enough to practice. Who'd of thought I'd be practicing with HP rifles and pistols for my 22 shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 10, 2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Quentin2

I was in the Boise Cabelas this afternoon and saw a guy buying a Bushmaster Carbon 15 for $799. The salesman said they sold a Colt that morning. There were some no-name 30rd AR mags for $30 and going fast. No .223/5.56 ammo.

There was a NRA booth set up in the store giving a $25 Cabelas gift card for those joining the NRA or renewing. Big line, lots of folks joining. I extended my membership too.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:06 AM   #30
Justice06RR

One of the pawnshops I frequent has 3 used AR's on the rack and the cheapest one was $1400. No was buying them and they've been there for a couple of weeks.

Prices will have to eventually come down when customers choose not to buy these over-priced items.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:20 PM   #31
tobnpr

'Zactly...
Those that were of the panic mindset have done their "thing"...
Old February 12, 2013, 09:21 PM   #32
nixfix

LGSs in the DC area are starting to have inventory again since last week. Prices are also getting lower, though still high. And thanks to living close to the NRA range, ammo is never a problem anyway.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:03 AM   #33
Heavy Metal 1

Local stores here in the west are mother Hubbard's cupboard, except for some standard hunting calibers like 30-06. Reloading components are limited. I went to a gun show this wknd and while there was plenty of ammo and ARs, but the prices were outrageous. .22 bricks started selling @ $50, then as the dealers saw they could get that the price went up to $75! Primers @ $60/brick. No powder at all.

I know this has been beat to death, but normal $17.00 bricks of .22 being sold for $75 just because they can get it IS gouging. Per Wikipedia:

"Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock..."

Yes, yes, it is capitalism, but it still is low brow in my opinion.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:23 AM   #34
zincwarrior

Ammunition wise, an online manufacturer has started limited selling again. Prices are about $3 more than pre-panic, and they're website is only open about 30 minutes a day before reclosing (they only open the website for orders until what they've manufactured has been sold then reclose it) but that has changed from being completely closed for a month to once a week to now about once every day.

But yea, no .22LR for nought. I'm having more success with other rounds than .22LRs at this point. I still think that will start slowly easing up about June.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:44 AM   #35
lockedcj7

My LGS has started getting ARs back in stock. A few weeks ago they had a waiting list for anything in 5.56. The price for a DPMS Sportical is $999.

Ammo and reloading supplies for the more popular calibers are still sold out. Double-stack handguns are still sold out with a few exceptions. OTOH, I have recently seen an M&P and Sig 229 in the 'used' case and a Shield in the new case.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:23 AM   #36
SR420

I expect things to change for the worse later today after the
liar in chief lays out his plan to ban guns while visiting Chicago.

Last edited by SR420; February 15, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:29 PM   #37
bustersmaster

Not much good news in most parts of Michigan in the way of guns and ammo availability. Travelling north today, I stopped at Jay's, which to non-michiganders is a smaller version of Cabela's, and was amazed at the empty shelves and lack of product.

Hand gun display cases normally holding hundreds of every type you can imagine, are down to about 10% full. Usually they are packed in so tight, it's hard to tell what your'e looking at.
Their "assault" rifle rack, about 40 or 50 ft. long, is down to zero.

Ammo selection is limited mainly to shotgun shells and a few different rifle offerings, such as 30-30 and some non-surplus 762x54 for $24.00 a box.

Hunting rifles and shotguns seemed to be in abundance, but definitely nothing very "evil" looking at all.

WalMart is pretty much the same. It's been a long time since I've seen any "tactical" caliber ammo of any kind, including of all things, 22lr.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:56 PM   #38
bbamericanb

Does anyone know where I could pick up some .22lr online?
Old February 21, 2013, 10:02 PM   #39
lockedcj7

I was at Palmetto State Armory on Wed. and they had basic carbines in stock for $799 and stripped lowers for $119.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:34 AM   #40
DATL

I think things are going to get pretty much back to normal. I haven't paid the jacked up prices I have seen since this whole scare started. I don't plan to either.

HOWEVER, hopefully no more psycho A$$ retards go postal on unarmed civilians. That certainly doesn't help the image non-gun owners have of us responsible gun owners. It clearly rouses up public concern and doesn't help the prices we see!

I suppose I'm optimistic because as I'm sure most/all of you know the president can try and implement an executive order all he wants- but no part of it can direct our agencies to conduct illegal or UNCONSTITUTIONAL activities... like ignoring or abolishing the 2nd amendment. I would like to think the Legislative Branch could/would hold that one at bay.

Last edited by DATL; February 22, 2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old February 22, 2013, 02:06 AM   #41
Ludwig Von Mises

308 is still hilariously expensive, and 9mm has gone up 50pct for target rounds and probably 30pct for defense/duty and stayed there. Nothings changed where I'm at.

And let's be honest, guys. Anyone who knows an abundance of LE and military personnel know damn well that there is no way on Earth that any truly "unconstitutional" activities would be perpetrated by them.(I insert quotes because of the intentionally ambiguous rulings of Heller) In my estimation, half to seventy five percent would instantly defect. A small percentage of them might do worse to prevent it, history shows this many times.

America can never be compared to Nazi Germany or Maoist China, especially considering the government themselves, intentionally or unintentionally, has fostered and nurtured the largest armament of private citizens in the history of mankind. More people have become new gun owners in the last 3 months than the population of any given country on the planet besides the superpowers. We have multiple guns per capita. And anyone who's been/lived overseas will tell you that even at current prices, ammunition and semi-auto weapons are cheap as hell compared to almost anywhere else.

Tell me, do you think the government's stable of Wharton- and Stern-bred economists didn't consider that this would happen? 30 years and you've doubled the gun-owning population through reverse psychology.

They always talk about banning, but never TRULY ban.

Seems there might be something else at work here.

Source: uh... I'm an economist? No, but seriously, I am. And on the military and LE front, I worked with cops throughout high school and college, and was raised by a USAF officer.

Last edited by Ludwig Von Mises; February 22, 2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:46 AM   #42
Ranger185

Went to Palmetto State Armory yesterday the carbines and lowers were already gone but PSA should get some credit and my business for not raising their prices in this environment. I was able to get 2K Lrg pistol primers but normal there is almost NO AMMO in our area.....
Old February 24, 2013, 03:28 AM   #43
GunXpatriot

At one of the two local shops I frequent, I seen 2 AR-15's, an AR-18 and a 1 Ruger Mini-14 on the shelf, along with your generic pump shotguns, leverguns, etc. Yes, it would seem that guns themselves are kind of around, but abundant supplies of something like .223/5.56 is still very rare. I did see a whole lot of 7.62x39 in this same shop. They're Sellier & Bellot steel-cased, which for the life of me, I can't find online. I don't think it's being made anymore. The guy obviously took it out of storage for penny-pinching, because I paid $15 per box... Even still, I'm seeing a lot of 5.56 and even standard .223 rounds going for $1 a round. That's absolutely ridiculous, so I can't complain about .75 a round I guess.

It doesnt seem like theres a big run on 7.62x39 guns or ammo, at least not like AR's and .223/5.56. I am currently in a pretty rural area, so that could have something to do with it of course.

I am seeing some .22's on the shelf, which have been impossible to find, and pretty much everything else is in good supply around here.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:17 AM   #44
lockedcj7

LGS had several different ARs in stock yesterday and 3 different kinds of .223 and 5.56 ammo. PMC bronze was 11.99/box with a 2 box limit. 2 or 3 different kinds of .22lr @ $5.00/50.

As things get back to normal, we'll start to see bulk stacks of ammo and prices will be lower than before. IMHO
Old March 9, 2013, 11:00 AM   #45
WV_gunner

I haven't been to a gun store in awhile, but I was at Walmart last night. About a week ago they had an AR .22LR come in, already gone. Normally that would sit there forever. The only ammo that stays on the shelf is shotgun ammo, 30-06, and .270. When ammo comes in, in a day or 2 it's completely gone. I'm thankful for what I have and am holding out till things really settle down. Only thing I'm looking for is an AK dust cover scope mount.
Old March 9, 2013, 12:10 PM   #46
Swampman1

Quote:
One of the pawnshops I frequent has 3 used AR's on the rack and the cheapest one was $1400. No was buying them and they've been there for a couple of weeks
Pawnshops-probably the biggest price gougers there is. I stay FARRRR away from those places...especially now.
Old March 9, 2013, 12:23 PM   #47
lagavulin62

I am wondering how long before stripped lowers will be back in stock at reasonable prices? I just got the AR bug and I would like to start with a complete rifle then start building my own as a second. Any ideas on when AR parts will become available again?
Old March 9, 2013, 05:24 PM   #48
selector67

I went to my local rural king today and they had a bunch of 7.62x39 ammo for $8 dollars a box, but limited to 2 boxes per customer, so I bought a couple and I will get a couple tomorrow and--------------------------
Old March 9, 2013, 05:29 PM   #49
UtopiaTexasG19

Wideners's had these stripped lowers for sale as of yesterday. I do not know if any are still in stock, whether the brand is ok or whether you consider the price ok.
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...m_id=8913&dir=
Old March 9, 2013, 05:37 PM   #50
ConstantChange

I haven't visited a local gun store in a few months, but based on a few local gun forums I visit, things are still pretty bad.

I have a few firearms I want to purchase, but I'll until I can go in, buy it, and walk out without all the hassle. I tried to purchase something a few months ago and it was a mad house. I waited 30+ minutes and never got service. I don't need anything that bad.