The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 26, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
smokehouse4444

All in the Family...

New addition to the SIG family...

1995 SIG P220, 1999? SIG P245, 2012 SIG P226 Tacops

My new to me SIG P245. My horrible, horrible wife surprised me with this for Christmas. ;D Many, many months ago I started really looking at the P245. I was more interested in it than the new P220 Carry/Compact. Don't know why, it just appealed to me more. There were a few on Gunbroker, but none made me want to "go for it". Then this one popped up. I believe it was made around 1999 or 2000 (I will check on this later), and the man who owned it had used it to qualify for his CHL. He shot maybe 50 rounds or so through it, then had not shot it since. It seemed in great shape and I thought I might bid on it. The wife said go for it. I waited a couple of days to see what the interest in it was, then told my wife that I might just go ahead and get it. There was only a few hours left I believe, and I went in to put a bid on it...but it was gone. I was so irritated. What the #$%^. I eventually decided to get a full size high capacity 9 for the stable.

Jump to Christmas. This pops up as my last present. She had snuck upstairs and bought it, worked out a deal with the gentleman to pay it out, and had been hiding it for months (occasionally taking it out to play with it she tells me). Man, it feels great in the hand and I cannot wait to get to a range and try it out. Definitely want to see how it feels next to the full size P220.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:21 PM   #2
lamarw

And some unfortunate men do not understand why many of us marry such "Wonderful Ladies". It is because they think of us and love us no matter what.

You too are blessed with such. Give her another hug, and go buy her a Bhramin or Coach purse.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:24 AM   #3
smokehouse4444

^^^^^^^

You sir, are right on the money. I consider myself a lucky man, and I do what I can to make sure she considers herself a lucky woman as well.

I hope everyone out there had a very Merry Christmas!
Old December 27, 2012, 02:29 PM   #4
curt.45

she wouldn't happen to have a sister, that wants to move north?
Old December 27, 2012, 02:51 PM   #5
loose_holster_dan

just relayed this story to my wife. she asked, "are you hoping some day i do that to you?" i say, "no, i know you better than that." it earned me what my friends and i have dubbed "the karen face." her jaw drops and she looks around the room to make sure everyone else has heard how badly i have just insulted her.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 29, 2012, 12:56 PM   #6
smokehouse4444

We try to do cool things for each other. Rarely do I receive a "Karen face", and neither do I give one. It's just a lot of fun to surprise each other. I definitely have me a special one fo' sho'!!!

Took all the SIG family to the range today. My buddy brought his Glock and a couple of his CZ's. He loves his handguns, but REALLY loves my handguns. The P245 shot lights out. It was awesome. Just a slight increase in perceived recoil. Not much difference at all between it and the full-size P220. Pic from the range...first shots out of each.

Upper right: P220 at about 25 feet
Upper left: P245 at about 25 feet
Bottom right: P226 at about 25 feet
Bottom left: P226 at 25ft with laser from the hip
Middle (Kinda): P226 with laser at about 50ft

All shots maybe a second apart, if that. Crappy Monarch ammo. Veridian laser is sighted in at 7 yards.

Love my new baby!
Old December 29, 2012, 04:44 PM   #7
loose_holster_dan

the only reason i don't think she would surprise me with a gun is that she knows i already have a bunch. i actually sold more than 10 over the past 4 months, many of which went to fund sparkly gifts for her and reinforce our baby fund.

she knows i purposely try to get the "karen face" from her. it's all in jest.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 30, 2012, 12:14 PM   #8
smokehouse4444

^^^^^ Most excellent!

Always fun to do the cool things for your loved ones, and it certainly is nice to have them done for you.

Man I tell you, I am a little surprised at just how good the P245 feels. Feels great, shoots great, looks great...love it.