The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 22, 2013, 01:26 PM   #176
Duzell

weekend shooting demo pics

just continuing pictures of the shoot

my m1a and 870

my friends trying out my mosin

me explaining history of my mosin nagant ,& yes the subaru bajaj is mine

set the m1a with the ruger after its done shoting inside the mosins case

Last edited by Duzell; October 22, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old October 25, 2013, 02:41 PM   #177
Duzell

working on the mosins trigger for a repaint, as the previous paint started to flake.

by accident my result has these silver veins, reminds me of lightning, so im keeping as is. just a fun accident

Old October 26, 2013, 06:09 AM   #178
TMW89

Looks like a good time. BTW that M1A is SAAWEEET
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old November 15, 2013, 08:35 PM   #179
Duzell

sorry it took me so long to respond

the m1a soccom is my favorite rifle, and i have to say the most accurate i own. i can drill 3 bullets in the same hole @ 300 yards using the sierra matchking or better with the hornaday TAP ammo. it has a Leopold scope , a titanium piston, new match gas rod , low sun optics rings, recoil buffer, the springfield scope mount, and now with a harris bipod, mounted via the m14 bipod mount system, its even better.

its an awesome rifle that i never tire of shooting. i just run out of ammo , but i love it
Old November 15, 2013, 08:56 PM   #180
Duzell

Mosin project "Complete"

i just wanted to note im basically giving up on archangel and their stock, they are no longer keeping in contact with me, and have not shipped my order (placed in march) and its just BS. i may get one someday but im done waiting for them to get there stuff together.

anyway this is my notice to those who have been following the project.
currently BL (black lighting ) is completed, and successfully proved my original concept

PART 1
A mosin nagant 91/30 with improved accuracy with bolt on parts that did not require a gunsmith OR permanent modification to the rifle. and swappable stock to original condition

was completed earlier this year

PART 2
A mosin nagant that was designed to be a target rifle out to 300+ yards
the project initially started with the addition of the RSI (rock solid industries mount + bolt handle)

-issue with bolt handle can be corrected with die grinder or a gunsmith(were it hits the top rear corner of the mounts underside.
NOTE:the bolt does not need modification just swap out parts like a regular disassemble

-SCOPE: barksa 2nd gen sniper scope (needs to handle mosin) success with 600 rounds down barrel and no loss of zero. i would recommend the scope without the sun shade so you can get flip covers, but the shade does function well

-muzzle brake: MOSIN PLUS BRAKE (45-40$) for 91/30 only
the price is if you have a front sight or not
very effective, and is more functional than the Barrett look alike brake, video to come to give further info

-stock : stayed with the boyds feather thumb-hole stock, very effective and accuracy did improve in part 1 due to this

all in all its affordable to make a nice rifle at a low cost and the dual parts gives you the choice of modification or permanent modification

but mainly this is a guide of my experience and what i feel are reliable parts and features for the mosin nagant.
the project has been completed successfully and im now moving onto the HOWA shinsetsu project. i will still keep active posts on the mosin and how it fairs, and show and demo shoots or videos that i do with it

-So thanks for following the project, and i hope ive at least helped a few of you out there, while on this journey. A big thanks to those who've been active in the project topic and helped me when i needed recommendations they were a big help,and also giving resources for parts and accessories. So i cant thank you all enough for being there with me and BL. i hope this serves as a guide for those, with thoughts of tinkering with a mosin or at least a reference resource. ill keep posting with updates and pics on events and such that BL is in. if you have questions on anything just ost or PM, i have no problem answering, im usually there helping with those new to the mosin in there threads.

Sincerly
~Duz
(pics of mosin and howa)

Old January 26, 2014, 01:23 PM   #181
Duzell

well just finalizing this project and hope that the sources in it are helpful to those who go with either version of the rifle project V1 or V2

V1 is the add-on only, non permanent modification version. so easy instal parts that do help with accuracy+stability

V2 is the next stage using V1 base to then add a scope using the RSI parts

the addition of the scope has increased consistency and group tightening, but the added weight is more than V1, and finding a carry case is more difficult
PS-i noted the case i use which fits all parts on gun + bipod (needs 3-4 pad locks though)

With the completion of the V2 Mosin nagant BL project i would state the rifle is a success, as i can now do long range with highly improved groups, at the cost of mobility. the rifle also is night shoot compatible , for dark shoots and night hunting(if you think of using it for that)

the gun is easy to prone shoot and does not give position away, also the muzzle break redirects most sound noise in the up direction(mosinplus)

similarly, the gun when used with a companion, can also act as a spotter due to the high scope magnification.

the mosin BL V2 is also swappable , in which it can be disassemble and reset into its original stock and shoot as it was originally intended. now there are 2 holes in the mosin receiver that does not impede shooting or hamper the firearm. now this is the permanent modification to the gun, and is the only mod needed to install the scope. (please see professional gunsmith to install any scope mounts that require this type of mod)

overall im very happy with the end result of the project V2 and hope to eventually move to V3 which is the addition of the next stock from archangel(whenever they get their act together)

the mosin v1,v2 are legal to use on hunts as the magazine is 5 round (v3 can be legal with correct mag size)

below is a detailed video overviewing the end of V2 project , thanks for the support, and i hope to continue the projects ever evolving setups
-your friend
Duzell

Video
Old May 28, 2014, 10:25 PM   #182
Duzell

took BL out for a test shooting the other day, no issues, with anything

such a fun rifle, to shoot even after i have the howa now as my range rifle.
may take it out again after my exams are over

Old August 15, 2014, 06:06 PM   #183
Duzell

So Black lightning is getting a few new minor goodies

-just installed the new warner clam shell, zero recoil rings for my 30mm scope

-insalled the new Trigger shoe, surprisingly nice for shooting, gives you just a little bit more when firing (RSI)

-Next to install is the stocks new RSI bedding pillars(to boyds stock)

after that she should be good to go

Old September 7, 2014, 03:12 PM   #184
Duzell

BL's New toys added

so finally got off my butt today

added the RSI bedding pillars (very nice fit after i drilled my stock for fitting)

added the warner no recoil rings (30mm)

white lettered the RSI logo on scope mount (for shiz and giggles)

overal mosin looks nice