The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 16, 2010, 07:43 PM   #1
mellow_c

Need help! Good shooting glasses?

Hey everyone. I'm tired of looking through 5 to 15$ safety glasses which seam to slightly distort my vision while shooting.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recomendations for some exceptionaly clear and effective (safety wise) shooting glasses.

I'm also interested in some Sunglasses that would double as shooting, and regular sun glasses.

One thing I'm particularly concerned about is UV protection. Mostly all cheep sunglasses and safety glasses have a UV protective coating, that will wash off. I like to wash my glasses prior to a day at the range to get any oily smears off, so I'm affraid all my glasses have lost their UV protection.

Oakelys have their UV protection built into the lense, and it will not wash off. I'm having trouble finding any information on the internet to direct me to good UV protective shooting/sunglasses.
Thanks!
Old July 17, 2010, 09:33 AM   #2
wally626

http://www.shooting-glasses-guide.com/ May just be a promo-sales site, but looks like it has some information. I think to get good shooting glasses and sun glasses you will probably have to get a pair with interchangeable lenses or get two pair. Depends on where you shoot. I shoot mostly indoor so want clear lenses for that, as it is almost too dark to start with. if you shoot mostly outside then a tinted pair of shooting glasses may work as well for sunlight. One option is to go to an optometrist and buy a regular pair of safety glasses with optically neutral lenses. Not as stylish as the name brand shooting glasses but will provide good protection and good optics.
Old July 17, 2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Find an eye doctor (I prefer an opthamologist over optometrist) who is a shooter. He will understand and be able to fit you with exactly what you need. Prescription tinted shooting glasses are best but be prepared to drop some dollars.
Old July 17, 2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Rob228

If you get some Oakley M-Frames, you can swap lenses out whenever you want between clear, red, yellow etc.
Old July 17, 2010, 11:32 AM   #5
JWT

Go to their site and take a look at Decot Hy-wyd Sport Glasses. They have frames with interchangeable lenses in a variety of colors for all shooting conditions. You can get prescription or plain lenses. Excellent shooting glasses.
Old July 17, 2010, 12:44 PM   #6
jgcoastie

Browning makes some good-quality shooting glasses...

I typically use the same DeWalt safety glasses that I use at work for shooting. Take a look at the DeWalt Contractor Pro series. IIRC, they're UV protective and will hold up tremendously well. I had a 1/2" drill bit shatter at work one day and pieces came flying back at my face. My entire face was bloody and cut, but barely more than a scratch on teh glasses. Thank God I wear them every time. They use me as an example during PPE training. Even when you're doing everything right, crap happens and your PPE could be the only thing to keep you from going blind.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old July 17, 2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Wiley.

Their lenses are interchangeable. Their rose lenses work best for me so far compared to other rose tinted glasses out there. They fully wrap your eyes, but don't look like old geezer safety glasses. Price is pretty fair and they're durable. They went through hell and back and still are holding up well.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 17, 2010, 03:42 PM   #8
dnr1128

What suggestions do you guys have for those of us that wear prescription glasses? Do you suggest extra eye protection or is a normal pair of prescription glasses suffecient eye protection?
Old July 17, 2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Rattlehead

DNR - I know Oakley makes some prescription glasses (though it may be restricted on the amount of correction).

Both my Revision and ESS glasses have inserts for vision correction (which I need and use if I'm not wearing contacts). See here (http://www.esseyepro.com/Profile---I...12_detail.html) for an example (the image is of goggles, but the same principle applies for normal shooting glasses as well.
Old July 17, 2010, 06:16 PM   #10
JWT

DNR - 'Normal' prescription glasses are satisfactory for eye protection IF they have polycarbonate lenses in them. If they don't have polycarbonate lenses they aren't and you should wear some type of safety glasses over the top of them.

Dycot shooting glasses can be made with prescription lenses. I'm very satisfied with the ones I have.
Old July 17, 2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
What suggestions do you guys have for those of us that wear prescription glasses? Do you suggest extra eye protection or is a normal pair of prescription glasses suffecient eye protection?
I personally think prescription glasses are not enough protection even if they're polycarbonate. Very seldom are the styles of glasses out there provide enough protection on the sides. At the minimum, I'd buy side shields that clip on the frame.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 17, 2010, 07:46 PM   #12
citizen

I just recently deleted the e-mail from Cooper Safety.com where I get all my glasses..... I wear ONLY safety sunglasses.....always. Yes, they have (I have seen them) oversize frames for prescription glasses underneath. Try them. HTH
Life is too short for dial-up
Old July 18, 2010, 11:18 PM   #13
rtpzwms

You might want to look here

http://www.randolphusa.com/products-ranger.htm
Old July 19, 2010, 07:50 AM   #14
lmccrock

Rudy Project are popular in competitions.

Lee
Old July 24, 2010, 08:46 PM   #15
Electric Head

mellow_c I've never heard of the UV protection washing off, maybe a glasses salesman told you that? Anything made of polycarbonate will protect very well from UV, which means cheap plastic lens sunglasses, expensive plastic lens sunglasses, safety glasses, etc, all protect very well from UV until the lens is worn all the way through. Even glass protects fairly well from UV, but polycarb is better, and shatterproof.

I use orange plastic cheap sunglasses as they are the same material as safety glasses and reduce the majority of glare caused by blue light. Blue light scatters more readily as it is higher energy than the other colours, with purple (violet) up to UV (ultra violet) being higher still, but UV is not visible so as far as glare is concerned, not an issue, but still bad for your eyes. This is why those oh so cool blue headlights look enormously glarey when oncoming, but when driving with them seem darker than standard bulbs, for the same wattage.
Old July 28, 2010, 09:45 PM   #16
mellow_c

I heard that the UV protection washes off from the guy who runs our safety meetings at work. I trust that guy a lot, he is very nice, very smart, was an EMT for a long time, and has seen more trama than anyone else I know. I believe him. Also the Oakely salesman (Kid) told me that it washes off cheep glasses when I asked him, if it washes off cheep glasses. lol.

That might not be the case though, I still have not found anything on the net saying that UV protection can wash off your sunglasses...

I need to do more research.