The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 17, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1
TexRanger

Beretta 92FS - Italian vs. American Version

I am considering purchasing a Beretta 92FS but was wondering if there is any significant difference between the Italian and the American version. I believe that the Italian version has a plastic guide rod, whereas the American version has a steel guide rod. Are there any other differences? Is one more reliable than the other? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old March 17, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2
wbw

Over on the Beretta forum (http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/) in the FAQ section, there is something about the Comparison of USA/Italian/M9.

I have an Italian from 1995 and have never owned an American 92 so I can't really compare. My guess though is that they're quite similar.
Old March 17, 2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Expypate

I have an American 92FS and an Italian 96F and they are both well made. The Italian seems to be worth a bit more as far as resale though. I would buy whatever you can get a good deal on. You can't go wrong with either version.
Old March 17, 2010, 08:38 PM   #4
TexRanger

Thanks for the info. Also, thank you for the link to the Beretta Forum. Prior to posting the question, I looked for a Beretta Forum but could not find one. The FAQ answered the question regarding the guide rod. I am a lot more comfortable now with the idea of a polymer rod and will happily purchase the Italian model.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:35 PM   #5
bakon

I have wondered the same thing, any drawbacks to either? which is closer to the military issue?
Old March 17, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

As far as I know, the difference is that one says made in Italy and the other says made in the US. There may be some other differences in the way the pistols are marked.

Afficionados seem to prefer the Italian made guns. As far as I can tell the main reason that they seem to prefer them is because they are Italian made. I think lots of folks believe (have convinced themselves?) that the Italian guns are a little better made. Maybe it's true, but I've not seen anything conclusive along those lines.

I've had a couple from both countries (though not at the same time) and I couldn't honestly come up with anything that I noticed was different between them.
Old March 18, 2010, 03:17 AM   #7
Kaiser T

Part of the reason for the Italian guns being valued more may have to do with the proofing. Italy alongwith 14 others (Austria Belgium, Chile, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Russia, Slovakia and Spain, UAE, UK) is member of the "Permanent International Commission for Firearms Testing" (CIP). American arms are NOT 'proofed' by any national oversight body.

The standard proof of pistol, revolver and rimfire weapons is performed with overloaded cartridges that produce 30% more chamber pressure than the CIP maximum pressure limit for the same cartridge in its commercial version.

So maybe that is considered as some kind of special endorsement. Otherwise the American and Italian guns are the same, practically.

Last edited by Kaiser T; March 18, 2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old March 18, 2010, 04:49 AM   #8
rogelk

I think the guide rods are both the same. About 7 years ago an Italian was considered premium, mainly because they slowed Italian production down and increased U.S. production, so the Italians became a little rare. Recently, they increased production back up in Italy. I think, because the Akkokeek, MD plant is ramped up filling the U.S. military order for 400,000 pistols. I had a choice last summer, brand new U.S or Italian at the same price and I went with the Italian for no particuler reason. They appeared identical in fit and finish.
Old March 18, 2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Citizen Carrier

This is just me...but if given a choice between a pistol that is brand new, in the box, with one test-fired round to make it legal for sale in New Jersey (or whatever) OR a pistol that has had 30 +P++ overpressure rounds through it before I even lay a hand on it...I'm going to go with the less abused pistol.
Old March 18, 2010, 09:53 AM   #10
juno

People prefer the Italian guns for the same reason people prefer Walthers and Sig-Sauers that are made in Germany. Italian company=Italian made gun.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Don P

The wifes is made in Italy and mine is american made. Only difference I see is the stamping of where they were made.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:31 PM   #12
SundownRider

I've owned both and couldn't tell the difference even if it was pointed out to me.
One was made in Italy and the other USA. You decide, they're both Berettas.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old March 18, 2010, 05:55 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
Part of the reason for the Italian guns being valued more may have to do with the proofing.
I know you qualified this theory with may but I would have a very hard time accepting the idea that proofing standards plays any role in a customer deciding which country he wants his pistol made at before buying it or that it makes any difference at all in terms of intrinsic value. Maybe it does but it seems like a long reach.
I think JohnKSa is on to something when he opined that some people seem to have "convinced themselves" that the country of origin has something to do with the quality of manufacture. I see the same mindset when some SIG aficionados swoon over German-made pistols vs American-made ones. I've seen, handled and owned many Beretta Model 92s as well as certain SIG pistols made here and overseas and I would defy anybody to discern any real difference in terms of workmanship, material or finish based solely on where the pistol was made, at least on the ones I've been acquainted with.
Old March 18, 2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

I posted this same question about a year ago. Right after I bought my 92fs. I looked at the display gun in the case at BPS, it was Italian made. The one they brought out of the back room for me was a USA built. I bought the US made one, and am not one bit sorry. The answers I got was that the only difference is as mentioned the US has a polymer guide rod & trigger. I have not had any trouble with either. It is thought that the Italian built Beretta may have a little higher re-sale value, but that is a mute point to me. Cheapshooter rule of gun ownership #1: Don't sell of trade ANYTHING!
Old March 18, 2010, 06:50 PM   #15
dgludwig

Quote:
Cheapshooter rule of gun ownership #1: Don't sell of trade ANYTHING!
There's been some times over the past fifty decades or so that I wish I had been as smart as Cheapshooter. Trust me, his "rule" is a golden one!
Old March 18, 2010, 10:41 PM   #16
juno

A real difference between German and American made Sigs is that no American made Sigs have a mandrel bent slide. That is a real difference in both materials and method of manufacture, not to mention feel and balance.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:55 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Quote:
There's been some times over the past fifty decades or so that I wish I had been as smart as Cheapshooter. Trust me, his "rule" is a golden one!
Not smart, just stubborn! And learned from mistakes.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:57 PM   #18
jersey_emt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Carrier
if given a choice between a pistol that is brand new, in the box, with one test-fired round to make it legal for sale in New Jersey (or whatever) OR a pistol that has had 30 +P++ overpressure rounds through it before I even lay a hand on it...I'm going to go with the less abused pistol.
It is only 1 proof (overpressure) round fired. And I would think of that as preferable, because it is a good test for manufacturing flaws. If a critical part has cracks or other flaws, the proof test might show it before the gun leaves the factory. I would feel more comfortable using a gun for self-defense knowing that it was tested with an overpressure round and proven to properly built.

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old March 19, 2010, 02:21 AM   #19
Giorgio

It's only a psychological.
Both are quite similar and superb firearms.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2...tingbetter.jpg
Old March 19, 2010, 02:51 AM   #20
Kaiser T

Quote:
It is only 1 proof (overpressure) round fired. And I would think of that as preferable, because it is a good test for manufacturing flaws.
Although digressing a bit from the thread, here is what CIP member proofing houses do:

"The standard proof of pistol, revolver and rimfire cartridges is performed with overloaded cartridges that produce 30% more chamber pressure than the C.I.P maximum pressure limit for the same cartridge in its commercial version. There are only two overloaded firings to avoid excessive stress to the arm, especially the barrel which is the main part suffering this overload beside the chamber (when not part of the barrel) and the locking mechanism. After the test, the arm is disassembled by the proof house technicians for nondestructive testing looking for Magnetic flux leakage through fluoroscopic lamp in a dark room".
Old March 19, 2010, 09:21 AM   #21
Sturmgewehre

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the pistol. If you want to collect it and put it away as a family heirloom, buy the Italian gun. If you want to shoot it, buy either. The American guns run every bit a good as the Italian guns. They are made on the same machines by the same company just in two different locations. There might be some minor differences as there will be when you have multiple teams making things, and the American plant is gear towards manufacturing military M9's which have different specs than the original Italian 92's. Whether or not the Italian plant is manufacturing to the same specs as the US plant, I can't really comment. This is pure speculation on my part.

The important thing is they are both very well made and will give the same performance. But if you want to buy one as a collectible/investment piece, get the Italian gun as it will likely retain its value better.
Old March 19, 2010, 03:04 PM   #22
Coltman 77

I have a 1989 Italian 92F and it's finish is a bit better than on my American 92FS's, it's a bit more accurate too.

Other than that, there are no differences.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old March 19, 2010, 04:20 PM   #23
TexRanger

Thanks again. I really appreciate the feedback. In looking around recently, I have noticed more Italian-made models than American-made models on the market. Initially, I was put off somewhat by the polymer guide rod but given the comments received on this thread and the information on the Beretta Forum FAQ, I feel quite confident in both versions. Simply because of the availability, I will likely end up buying the Italian version.

Now stainless or blued??? I know that is another thread.

Thanks again,

John
Old March 19, 2010, 04:36 PM   #24
dgludwig

My advice is to buy which version is cheaper and/or from which dealer offers the best customer service.
Old March 20, 2010, 08:48 AM   #25
Giorgio

IMO this, Tex.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg beretta92FS.jpg (14.5 KB, 7152 views)

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2...tingbetter.jpg