The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 8, 2010, 04:23 AM   #1
IamSmitty

Mosquito suppressor

So I've been looking at .22 pistols, and I like the Sig Mosquito. Of course I've read tons of reviews bashing them, but I think I'm going to go ahead and pick it up.

My question is if I decide to suppress it in the near future, what would be the best suppressor to get for it?
Panther Arms A15 ...and growing...
Old February 8, 2010, 12:58 PM   #2
David Hineline

You won't listen to tons of reviews of how the Mosquito is crap, so why would you listen as to what is the best supressor?

Tons plus one, the Mosquito is crap.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:37 PM   #3
IamSmitty

I don't listen to the reviews because it's basically a back and forth exchange between people who do and people who don't like them. However, people I talk to in person like them.

What are your reasons for not liking them?
Old February 8, 2010, 01:54 PM   #4
David Hineline

Very picky on ammo brand. No two guns like the same ammo. Sig trigger pulls are the worst possible.
Old February 8, 2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Venom1956

personally i find OFF! works quite well.

http://www.offprotects.com/sportsmen.aspx
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 8, 2010, 08:14 PM   #6
WoofersInc

I have never had any issues with my Mosquito. It has always run fine for me. It will even run with Remington Subsonics without any issues. I am currently using a Gemtech Outback II on mine. I have a SilencerCo Sparrow that is waiting on the paperwork.

Any of the big name suppressors would work well for you. They are all fairly close to each other in sound. The biggest question is do you want one that can be taken apart or one that is sealed?
Old February 8, 2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Lurch37

I use a YHM Stainless Mite on my Sig Mosquito, it's quiet, looks good, and for me it's easier to clean since it comes apart.

In my experience, my Mosquito has been every bit as reliable as my Ruger MkII and Walther P22. I have fired the CCI ammo that Sig wants you to shoot, as well as Federal Bulk, Winchester Bulk, and anything else I could scrounge up, and ALL has functioned perfectly. The trigger on my Mosquito seems fine to me. I do not think the Mosquito is crap.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:08 AM   #8
IamSmitty

What are the advantages between sealed and unsealed? I know with the unsealed you can break them down in order to clean them.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:55 PM   #9
cwb

my mosquito is awesome! the only ammo it does not like is cci velocitors other then that it will eat anything
Old February 9, 2010, 02:43 PM   #10
WoofersInc

Quote:
What are the advantages between sealed and unsealed? I know with the unsealed you can break them down in order to clean them.

The biggest thing is being able to take the suppressor apart for cleaning. A sealed can cannot be taken apart while a unsealed can can.

22Lr is a very dirty round. In most 22 cans there is a lead build-up that gets deposited on the baffles. As time goes by this gets thicker and thicker thus reducing the effectiveness of the suppressor. There is also the risk that if the lead gets built up enough it could have a piece break loose and obstruct the bore resulting in baffles strikes which usually ruin the suppressor.

Most people after shooting their take-apart cans will pull the baffles and scrub them or us a small blast cabinet and media blast the baffles clean.

Once my Outbacks get filled up some I plan on sending them to Gemtech for cleaning. If requested they will leave the ends unsealed making the Outback a take-apart can.

Some will say that there is also a small difference in the suppression between the two, with a sealed can being just a tiny bit quieter than a take-apart can.
I however cannot hear the difference at the range.
Old February 9, 2010, 04:43 PM   #11
richmondtx

I have a mosquito, that I run a TI65 on, it is super quiet and I've never had any issues with ammo...shoots just about anything. Now cleaning the TI65 and the gun after a few 100 rounds is somewhat labor intensive but worth it!
Old February 9, 2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Lurch37

WoofersInc said it the best.

In my experience, after several hundred rounds my can was filthy with lead and wax residue. I tried solvent and various brushes, then moved on to scraping which wasnt all that better, then just took the can to work one day and used our bead blaster to clean it in about 5 minutes.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:44 AM   #13
IamSmitty

How long is the paperwork process? I've heard anywhere from a month to 9. I'm from Indiana, if that helps at all.
Old February 10, 2010, 11:15 AM   #14
mchris80

I just got my AAC Aviator and love it. Works great on the Mosquito and my Mark III. Took 15 weeks for the paperwork to go through. I was told that is average right now.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:29 PM   #15
IamSmitty

Mchris80, do you have pictures of your aviator on your Mark III?

Last edited by IamSmitty; February 13, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old February 15, 2010, 10:23 AM   #16
mchris80

Sorry about the picture quality but that is the best I can do for now. Shoots great and is very quiet. I think going with the ruger was worth the extra money over the less reliable .22 pistols. Jim at JP Grips and Machine did a great job on the threading and protector. $105 with return shipping.

Jim Pixley
Jp Grips & Machine
23 7th Ave NE
Pelican Rapids, MN 56572
218-329-2187
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2055.jpg (171.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2057.jpg (129.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2058.jpg (116.4 KB, 85 views)

Tags
.22 silencer , mosquito , suppressor