The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 3, 2001, 06:02 AM   #1
Gordonbr

It was suggested that I ask here concerning my fathers M1 carbine. It has a serial number of 0001. Made by Plainsfield manufactoring company. To our knowledge this was the last M1 Carbine to be made. Some have suggest this is not the case and this number means its a Proto type or something. If anyone is able to shed some light on this i would be most grateful. Thank you for you time.
Old January 3, 2001, 12:22 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Plainsfield was not gubmint

Your father's carbine is an aftermarket carbine.

Plainfield was out of Dunellen, New Jersey and later moved to Middlesex, NJ. It operated from 1967-1975 and used surplus parts. Receivers were investment casted and when the supply of barrels was exhaused, 1903 barrels were turned down (by Small Arms Co.of Bridgeville, PA) for Plainsfield. Plainsfield was eventually bought up by Iver Johnson.

Per one employee, record keeping was rather sloppy and the exact number produced is unknown.

The information was taken from Larry Ruth's, War Baby! Comes HOme: The US Caliber .30 Carbine Volume II.