The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 26, 2000, 05:52 PM   #1
Badger Arms

What is required to complete a Sten Dummy Gun that will keep the BATF from hanging me out to dry. I'd love to have one but don't know how to stay legal here.

------------------
God made us...
Thomas Jefferson made us equal...
John Browning made us free.
Old August 26, 2000, 10:58 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

A solid steel bar would weigh too much, but if the receiver is a solid block of aluminum there is no problem. You can buy aluminum bars at most industrial supply houses. Solid plastic would be OK too, and it can be painted. Either can be turned to the proper dimensions and the slots cut in and painted black. If you use a tube and put a bolt in it, you could have problems.

Jim
Old August 27, 2000, 08:12 PM   #3
Number 6

Won't the BATF send you a letter approving or disaproving a proposed mock up design? I would think that wood could be painted and finished to look the part, with weldment filling the barrel for good measure but I wouldn't do anything without a letter.

Old August 27, 2000, 09:39 PM   #4
Badger Arms

I'm sure to contact the BATF at any rate. I'm thinking of using a standard tube receiver but perhaps welding the barrel shut. It's a MK-III which means the barrel is non-removable. I want it to look and operate as if it would chamber a round (reciprocating bolt, etc) and yet still qualify under DEWAT or Demill criteria.

------------------
God made us in his own image.
Thomas Jefferson made us free.
John Browning made us equal.

Without Browning, we might not know about the other two...
Old August 28, 2000, 08:54 AM   #5
TaxPhd

Simply welding the barrel closed won't do it.
On Sten's, the receiver is the registered part. Receiver out of solid aluminum as Jim mentioned is how IMI builds their dummy guns and stays legal.

Making a Sten receiver, even if the rest of the gun is "dummied up" is a sure way to incur the wrath of the authorities.